Getting an Interview
Getting an Interview
Interviews for Top Jobs at S&P Capital IQ
- Research Associate (65)
- Software Engineer (31)
- Business Analyst (22)
- Product Consultant (14)
- Client Development Analyst (13)
- Database Engineer (9)
- Junior Research Associate (8)
- Intern (7)
- Technology Quality Analyst (7)
- Tech QA (6)
- Analyst (5)
- Quality Analyst (5)
- Database Developer (4)
- Software Developer (4)
- TQA (3)
- JRA (3)
- Database Engineer Intern (2)
- Senior Research Associate (2)
- Client Development (2)
- Database Administrator (2)
- Database Analyst (1)
- Consultant (1)
- Quality Assurance Engineer (1)
- Reaseach Associate (1)
- Senior Database Engineer (1)
- Financial Sales (1)
- Sales Representative (1)
- Data Analyst (1)
- Customer Support (1)
- Engineering (1)
I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks – interviewed at S&P Capital IQ.
The first round interview was on campus following a school career fair and resume drop. Next was a super day at the company's New York Ciy headquarters. All of the questions were very easy. They were mostly about your background and experience. Nothing to worry about at all. Emphasize a passion for finance and helping others, and you'll be fine.
- Walk me through your resume. Tell me about a time you exhibited _____? Answer Question
- Accepted OfferNeutral ExperienceEasy InterviewAccepted OfferNeutral ExperienceEasy Interview
I applied through college or university. The process took a day – interviewed at S&P Capital IQ (New York, NY) in May 2013.
4 round interviews, all were in person interviews. But that time it was for summer interns. But mostly they see how you present your thoughts clearly. Not very technical.
- 2 rounds technical, 1 round "intelligence", 1 round project. Really easy questions Answer Question
I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks – interviewed at S&P Capital IQ (New York, NY) in April 2013.
Applied online, had two phone screens and an onsite interview
- There was one question on designing a class/set of classes which help to find the stock quote for a particular company. A method was provided which takes a sticker(String) as an input and gives the stock value(double). But this method was too expensive to call, so how would you optimize your solution(make the minimal number of calls to this method). Also the stock value returned should not be more than an hour old. There were subparts to this question, on caching the values and multithreading. Answer Question
- Given a tree and a value n, check if the sum of values on any path of the tree from root to a leaf equals to that value. Answer Question
- Accepted OfferPositive ExperienceAverage InterviewAccepted OfferPositive ExperienceAverage Interview
I applied online. The process took 2 weeks – interviewed at S&P Capital IQ (New York, NY) in April 2013.
I was called for a screening interview first which just asked about me and my resume. If they like you, you will to the next round with more phone interviews. Had three interviews for three separate teams engineer teams all working on different projects. I got the offer the same day as i interviewed for all three teams. Offer was for my choice of any of the teams so i chose the best one for me.
- Honestly, weren't too technical. No specific coding questions as i guess they trust that you can do what they want. Answer Question
No negotiation. Just take it. 28$ an hour.
I applied through college or university – interviewed at S&P Capital IQ (New York, NY).
First round was a design test that included qa testing questions and erd. Second round included 3 interviews where design questions were asked
- Walk through a website and redesign it Answer Question
- Declined OfferPositive ExperienceEasy InterviewDeclined OfferPositive ExperienceEasy Interview
I applied online. The process took 2 weeks – interviewed at S&P Capital IQ (New York, NY) in October 2012.
Applied through company website and I was sent an email with an interview dates and times. They invited me in for an interview and it was one-on-one interview. I was accepted for the second round interview which included meeting with 5 other people.
- Asked about financial equations and formulas and if I had used them in any past financial forecasting. Also, asked me what it was. Answer Question
Helpful (1)Accepted OfferPositive ExperienceAverage InterviewAccepted OfferPositive ExperienceAverage Interview
The process took 1+ week – interviewed at S&P Capital IQ (New York, NY) in May 2012.
I submitted my resume on our University job Postings and received a call for a telephonic interview after 2 weeks. Telephonic interview was for about 30 to 40 minutes. He asked me about myself, my past experience and some Database questions (about Indexes). Then within a week I was called onsite for 1:1 interviews. There where 3, 1 hour technical interviews. They told me to design some databases on white board and write some queries. All the 3 interviews went well. I got a call from HR next day morning, that I was offered the position.
- Design a database...Will you use index, on what columns, why? Write queries ()complex queries with 'exists' and 'non exists' clause. Answer Question
No. There was no HR interview.
- Declined OfferPositive ExperienceAverage InterviewDeclined OfferPositive ExperienceAverage Interview
I applied online. The process took a day – interviewed at S&P Capital IQ (New York, NY) in April 2012.
There was an initial paper exam consisting of five question which were not particularly hard.
i. write a function that gets the number of set bits in a character
ii. Reverse a linkedlist
iii. Find the least common ancestor in a tree
These questions are used as a conversation starter for the actual interview.
It is important that you get them right but I doubt if they are of any great consequence
- Find the middle of a LinkedList Answer Question
Reasons for Declining
The pay was a bit low compared to other offers
Helpful (3)Accepted OfferPositive ExperienceAverage InterviewAccepted OfferPositive ExperienceAverage Interview
I applied through college or university – interviewed at S&P Capital IQ in December 2011.
My first interview consisted of a 30 minute written test which included queries to answer.
There was a C program to write to check if a string is palindrome or not. Be well prepared with joins in case of queries. They also asked to create an ER diagram of a database schema.
- Be prepared with sql queries. 1 Answer
- Accepted OfferNegative ExperienceEasy InterviewAccepted OfferNegative ExperienceEasy Interview
I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days – interviewed at S&P Capital IQ (New York, NY) in December 2011.
I came in as an experienced hire, so my interview process was a bit different. Basically, it was sitting with three different people (a VP, an associate and my boss) and just talking about why I wanted the position and my strengths with customer service. Very easy interview- they need people so as long as you have a pulse you should be okay.
- Basically having to sit there while the VP bashed my previous place of employment. I, being a professional (unlike half the people at the company), did not join in on the bashing. Still not sure if that was a test or if the VP is that immature. Answer Question
Flat offer. No negotiation. At the end of the day, you are a pawn in a conglomerate- they don't care about you. It used to be that Capital IQ was an agile, small time software company. The company has gone to the dogs.
Is this helpful? The community relies on everyone sharing – Add Anonymous Interview Review