?What If! Innovation Interview Questions

3.7

Interviews for Top Jobs at ?What If! Innovation

Inventor Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at ?What If! Innovation (New York, NY) in May 2015.

Interview

Interview process included two rounds of strategic casing: one on the spot (but with 45 minutes of prep time) and the other with a few days of prep time prior to presentation. The first interview was with two members of the strategy team and the second was with one. Both involved short presentations and then brainstorming with the team members, which was enjoyable. At no point were behavioral or resume-related questions asked - it was all about how you think and bring that thinking to life.

Interview Questions

• Name a tired brand and how you would reinvigorate it.   Answer Question
    • You have $x to create and launch a product. What is it and how would you sell it?   Answer Question
    • Choose a brand in the travel space & develop two platforms for repositioning it competitively.   Answer Question

Catalyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at ?What If! Innovation (New York, NY) in July 2011.

Interview

There was an initial phone interview, then a skype interview, both with HR. I wish I had been able to go the office for the 2nd interview since I was local. Then there was an "On Your Feet" interview where you had to teach something to 4-6 people for 30 minutes. Those people then meet separately together and make a decision and you find out 15 minutes later. I didn't get the job. I felt that everything I didn't do that they wanted I was capable of doing had I had a better sense of what they wanted. I felt a little like shooting in the dark and I missed a few things, especially in terms of their vibe. But I think the job would have been interesting and they seemed like cool people.

Interview Questions

• On the phone interview they asked some questions that required you to come up with brands/products that you liked and then take those best ideas and apply them in a different field.   Answer Question

PA to Directors Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at ?What If! Innovation (London, England (UK)).

Interview

I had an initial conversation with the People Leader who seemed uninterested and had clearly not reviewed my CV as she seemed surprised to learn that I was business student while working full-time. The agency told me to be 'bubbly and smiley' as this was very important to Whatif. I feel as though the initial conversation was a personality test as the fact that I'm very experienced with a genuine interest in innovation was irrelevant - perhaps I would have been called back if I was 'zany' and had cracked jokes. I'm a reserved person by nature when I meet people for the first time and I felt that went against me. The feedback I received from the agency was that the People Leader felt the PA role would be unable to meet my career aspirations, which was strange since we never touched on my career aspirations! I was told by the agency that Whatif has a thorough and lengthy interview process to ensure that they recruit the right candidates, however, I found out from the People Leader that the reason for the lengthy process is because WhatIf does not operate a probation period for new employees so in her own words 'once you're in, you're in...' which is why they must ensure the person is the ‘right fit’. Everything she said suggested that prior experience or a genuine interest in innovation was unimportant compared to your ability to get on with colleagues and ‘fit in’ with the Whatif culture. She also went to great lengths to tell me the company was not 'hierarchical' and everybody was considered equal which is ironic since the employee reviews on glassdoor suggest otherwise. Perhaps I dodged a bullet... From the reviews I’ve read and my own personal experience of visiting the offices, I’d say WhatIf is style over substance.

Interview Questions

• I was asked what my biggest regret in life was. I thought this was a rather bizarre question to ask somebody. I have many personal regrets which I probably would not have wanted to share with a stranger   Answer Question

Producer Team Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at ?What If! Innovation (London, England (UK)) in April 2015.

Interview

First interview was with the Producer Team Manager, and a Producer. Casual but targeted chat for about an hour with great 2-way focus: They told me about the company and their experiences at the company, and in turn asked me questions about my work experience. The second interview 2 weeks later was a team interview with 3 other candidates shortlisted for the 2 positions available. This involved doing individual work on tasks set by the current Producer Team Assistants (one was based around logistics and the other around sourcing supplies), followed by a short presentation exercise where you chose two items and briefly described why they were relevant to you. This was followed by '1-1' interviews with the Producer Team Manager again but also with the Base Team Co-ordinators. The third interview a week later was with the Practice Leader and Head of Talent.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a time when you had to deal diplomatically with different personalities?   Answer Question

Producer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ?What If! Innovation.

Interview

Tough but nothing more than I didn't expect, the interview consisted of meeting HR and then meeting Head Producer, followed by a Skills interview on the following week, and at last stage meeting two directors of the office.

Interview Questions

• How would you conduct a research on a client's competitor?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Little negotiation

Inventor Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at ?What If! Innovation in March 2012.

Interview

Case Study

Interview Questions

• Create positioning for this business [told me about a business they were working on.]   Answer Question