1-800 CONTACTS

Updated Jul 2, 2014
13 interviews

3.5

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Draper, UT

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at 1-800 CONTACTS.

It started with hearing about the job from a friend and submitting a reaumé. Then there was a brief phone interview. Next, you get a link where you answer six brief questions in writing, and six additional questions by recording yourself on video.

If successful, you go in to the office for a skills test of ten questions, which you must answer correctly, including questions which answers are obtained by navigating the customer database. You must also type above 42 WPM.

If successful, a behavioral interview is conducted.
    A senior manager will interview you if they believe you are able to perform the job. If the manager decides you are a good fit, an offer is extended.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had to work with someone with whom you did not get along. How did you handle that situation.   View Answer
    I was able to select exactly the hours I wanted to work. No negotiation necessary.

Call Center Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Draper, UT

I interviewed online. The process took 4 days - interviewed at 1-800 CONTACTS in November 2012.

You first do a computer test where they throw a few scenarios at you and you try and navigate their database the best of your abilities. Then they have you do a simple typing test. After your test, you go up to the call center floor where you sit and shadow with a representative while they take some phone calls so you can see what your job would be like. After that, you meet a call center manager where they conduct a behavioral based 10 question interview.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time where you had to handle a difficult co-worker or boss. Include the situation, plan of action, and the end result.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you had to handle an irate customer. Include the situation, plan of action, and the end result.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you provided great customer service. Include the situation, plan of action, and the end result.   Answer Question
    There is no negotiation on pay, it's a base hourly rate plus bonus/commission.

Paralegal Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at 1-800 CONTACTS in October 2012.

I was given the opportunity to apply for a position within the company. The recruiter understood that I had another job and that I would need to work around my current schedule. I had interviews at 7 a.m. to accommodate my schedule and was brought back multiple times in order to work around the various time constraints. After multiple interviews, I was offered the position and was given the opportunity to discuss the position and potential change of employment with my spouse. The benefits package was laid out clearly as was the salary.

Interview Questions
    • Tell of time when dealing with a hard personality and how you handled that person and the situation to have the best outcome?   Answer Question

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Draper, UT

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2 days - interviewed at 1-800 CONTACTS in November 2013.

Interview process consisted of 2 executive level interviews and an intense interview (based on the STAR model) with the HR team. I had a tour of the facility and everyone was genuinely sincere, friendly and welcoming. I feel like I had a great understanding of the culture, what was expected of me and what my future team and working environment would be like.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a specific experience where you had to convey a bad message to an employee, what was your role and what was the outcome?   Answer Question
    Didn't need to negotiate, 1-800 CONTACTS was strong on the compensation model and had clearly done their research on market rates - I was satisfied with my offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Draper, UT

I interviewed online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at 1-800 CONTACTS.

The interview first starts with a screening by a recruiter. They ask you questions about your past jobs and about why you want to work for 1-800 CONTACTS. If you pass that they bring you in for an interview and a basic computer skills test. If you don't know the basics of computers (using the internet etc.) don't go. They use behavioral interviewing techniques. During the interview portion the recruiter asks you about past work experiences. You have to be specific like what the situation was, what actions you took in detail and the result. Think of examples before you go on customer service, learning new things, etc. It's hard to BS these answers. If you pass the recruiter interview they have you meet with a Manager who asks you similar questions. The process is quick and fairly easy and everyone is really nice. They also gave me a tour of the building and the cafe and gym- Awesome! They actually offered me the job about a day later and asked me what hours during a specific time slot I would want to work after training. ( scheduled was 2 to 11pm) but they also have morning shifts. Oh and they do do a background and electronic I-9. A friend didn't disclose he had a marijuana possession conviction so he got booted for 6 months because he didn't write it down. Also, we had a girl termed during training cause she was using a fake social security #. (she told me this but not sure if that was the real reason)

Interview Questions
    • It was some questions related to weaknesses. Not the typical, "What is your weakness?" but more like "Tell me about a time you had to work with a manager to overcome a weakness."   View Answer
    They have set salary bands that they bring agents in at. They offer $12 an hour unless you have specific experience as an agent. There really wasn't much negotiation.

Executive Assistant to the Chief Executive Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Draper, UT

I interviewed online - interviewed at 1-800 CONTACTS in April 2011.

I went in a couple times to meet with HR and then one of the managers that I would assist.

I wasn't negotiating much. This was a temporary assignment with the possibility of it turning into a longer term.

Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Draper, UT

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at 1-800 CONTACTS in August 2012.

Multiple interviews, including a phone interview

Temporary for 60 days, then brought on permanently with a pay raise

Anonymous Employee  in  Draper, UT
    Anonymous Employee in Draper, UT

I interviewed online. The process took 6 days - interviewed at 1-800 CONTACTS in January 2009.

You first begin by emailing them your resume. They then send you this long questionnaire that you have to fill out which is really just the application. If they like your answers then you get a phone interview that you schedule with them.

Both the phone interview and questionnaire ask a lot of questions about your past experience They want to know about your work history, attendance, customer service, challenges, etc...typical things that employers want to know about, but they're really big on examples. Many of the questions begin with "give an example..."

I can not say that I was too impressed with the phone interview. The girl interviewing me was not very personable nor was she very easy to communicate with. She actually got kind of snooty with me a few times. I did not get to the person to person interview, but I probably would have turned the offer down after that experience. It just seems like any other company that views their entry level employees as dispensable.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of a time when you faced a company policy that you were unhappy with, and what did you do to cope with that obstacle?   Answer Question
    • "If we call your past employer what can you expect them to tell us about your attendance?"   Answer Question

Customer Service (Phones Or Verification) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Draper, UT

The process took 1 week - interviewed at 1-800 CONTACTS in August 2010.

I conducted 50+ entry level interviews and 20+ internal promotion interviews for 1-800 CONTACTS. They absolutely love to do situational (tell me a time when...) questions. Go prepared with lots of quantifiable examples of a time when you: received good/bad customer service, had a bad boss, trained a fellow associate, worked with a difficult co-worker, and similar things.

They require a 35+ wpm type test, skills test, realistic job preview (you watch somebody work for an hour), an email test, grammar test, phone interview, and interview with your potential manager. All of these are required.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you received good customer service.   View Answer
    There are ZERO negotiations with 1-800 CONTACTS. The executive level may be different but director, associate director, manager, and entry level is take the offer or leave it. They won't even negotiate with employees that worked there and returned after more than 90 days.

Anonymous Employee  in  Draper, UT
    Anonymous Employee in Draper, UT

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at 1-800 CONTACTS in October 2010.

They have you fill out a long questionnaire, and then schedule a phone interview based on those answers. The guy they have doing the phone interviews is terrible. He was horrible at clarifying things and had no personality. I think they have a very narrow idea of who they will hire, and if you don't fit into that box then you are out.

Interview Questions
    • How many unplanned absences from work do you think are acceptable?   View Answer

Worked for 1-800 CONTACTS? Contribute to the Community!