Capital One
3.4 of 5 1,228 reviews
www.capitalone.com Mc Lean, VA 5000+ Employees

Capital One IT Development Program Interview Question (student candidate)

I interviewed in Richmond, VA and was asked:
"1 million card applications. $1 per application cost to do employment verification. 96% pass verification and get a card. 4% fail and do not get cards. Given average profits on cardholders in good standing, and average losses on accounts that default, find the % of denied cardholders that would have to default in order to justify the $1 per application verification cost ."
Add Tags [?]
Answer Flag Question

Part of a IT Development Program Interview Review - one of 1,111 Capital One Interview Reviews

Answers & Comments

votes
Anymore info given? I think you'd either need to know the percentage of cardholders in good standing, or the percentage of cardholders in bad standing.
- Sean on Apr 8, 2012 Flag Response
votes
This appears to be a trick question that makes you think they want to know the break-even point. However: how can someone default on a credit card that they were "denied" and never issued?
- Brian on Apr 10, 2012 Flag Response
of 1
Its hypothetical - IF they were given the card and IF they defaulted on it... how many of them would have to default in order for the losses from their accounts to justify the $1/application cost of rejecting them.
- Anonymous on Apr 16, 2012 Flag Response
of 3
votes
I had the same case and you can ask for more info like percent in good standing etc.
- mike on Sep 15, 2012 Flag Response
votes
Am I wrong to think that the 96% is not relevant? I think it should be (1-p)(Avg Profit)-(p)(Avg Loss) = 1M. Solve for p that justifies spending $1M to deny 4% of applications. This is of course assuming that the 96% are profitable in the net.
- Dave on Feb 23, 2014 Flag Response

To comment on this question, Sign In with Facebook or Sign Up

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Capital One interview questions and advice. All interview reviews posted anonymously by Capital One employees and interview candidates.