23andMe Interview Questions

Updated Sep 4, 2014

2.8

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at 23andMe in August 2014.

Applied online via 23andMe's website. Received HR correspondence within two days and scheduled 30-min phone chat with hiring manager two days later. Was notified to come in for in-person interviews on-site in Mountain View. Final round consisted of five 45-min interviews. HR rep let me know the next day that I had one more interview via Google Hangout. Heard back from HR rep that I would be contacted by HR director for next steps. After an initial discussion about career goals and expectations with the HR director, I was given a verbal offer. Entire process took 2-3 weeks.

Interviews were mostly about past experience, skills, and projects. All of the interviews felt more like conversations and everyone was nice and genuinely interested during the discussions. A couple of interviews were formulaic (i.e. it's clear that the interviewer had to hit a list of questions) - but that's expected. Lots of behavioral questions (i.e. what is your approach to X - can you give me an example of this).

I had a great experience meeting with the 23andMe team. Everyone was smart, dedicated, and very down to earth - what more can you ask for in colleagues? I liked how they gave me the opportunity to speak with many people on the team - really gave me a sense of the culture and it showed me how thoughtful they are as a company. Overall, it was a very pleasant experience and I could see myself working there in the future, if the right opportunity is there.

Interview Questions
    • It would depend on the position - for this role, I was asked many questions about how I would go about interacting or solving problems with various stakeholders, both internal and external.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at 23andMe in May 2014.

Applied online, 1 phone interview 1 onsite interview. Talk about what projects I have been working on, what kind of thing I did during my spare time and then some technical questions. (algorithm, data structure, bit manipulation)..

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at 23andMe in March 2014.

Just one phone interview. Talk about the projects and then some technical questions. Very basic programming questions.

Enterprise Security Manager Position Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at 23andMe in October 2013.

I'm not sure who runs recruiting there but in nearly 15 years of being in the industry this was clearly the worst recruiting process I've ever been through. I don't know if it's outsourced or not so won't hold it against the company.

Recruiting Process Timeline

October 2nd: Applied on line

October 7th: Recruiter contacted me asking if I'd be available for a phone screen on the 11th to which I replied immediately.

October 9th: Recruiter e-mailed me on the 9th confirming the phone screen.

October 11th: Phone screen went well

October 13th: Recruiter e-mailed me saying the phone screen went well and the office admin will be scheduling an onsite

October 14th: Their office admin schedules my onsite for the 16th

October 16th, Interview took about 4 hours and I thought it went well. The questions were straight forward and the conversations about the business model piqued my interest. Seemed like it would be a great company to work for

October 17th: Pinged the recruiter to check for feedback to which she replied that she'd get feedback and circle back

October 18th: Pinged the recruiter to check in (no response)

October 21st: Pinged the recruiter to check in because another offer was about to come in and wanted to weigh my options. She replied stating that she will get feedback and circle back with me tomorrow.

October 23rd: Still no feedback

October 24th: The Recruiter sends me an e-mail asking if I can come back for another face to face on the 29th

October 29th: Have the second round of face to face, now already with another offer in hand which I have to make a decision on by end of day 11/4. I spoke to HR and also said that I had an offer on the table

November 1st Ping for feedback (No response)

November 4th Ping for feedback (No response)

Data Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at 23andMe in October 2013.

Slow process overall. Applied online and got the first contact after more than a week for a phone interview. Then no response for another week (even with follow-up emails) from HR who had, in fact, arranged the phone interview.

Finally phone-interview (with 2 managers) was setup and it went well. For a week again no response either from HR or managers. Couple of emails to HR person went no where. Sent blind emails and a day later hiring manager informed of HR making face-to-face interview arrangements.

1:1 Interview was easy covering technical, related skills, etc. Then no response for more than a week and then with follow-up was informed they were finalizing and wrapping up interviews ("...we are finishing up onsite interviews this week...I'll be back in touch shortly"). Another week later contacted for any updates and never heard back.

No final response after phone, 1:1 interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Asked me more about what would the major DW architectural changes that could be done to existing systems at 23 and some cost/benefit informational details.   Answer Question

Bioinformatics Interview

I applied online – interviewed at 23andMe.

Phone interview only and HR seemed very ill prepared

Survey Methodologists Interview

Got an phone interview from the director of research, asked me why choosing their company, my programming experience, what I am going to do in the future.

Interview Questions
    • If a study wants to find out whether the respondent has got one or more of the diseases (about 150 in total), how would you design the questionnaire?   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at 23andMe in May 2013.

I was contacted by the HR to be directly interviewed by the Dr. Product. It was one of the best in person interviews I had. The Director was very engaging and asked me to the point and relevant questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at 23andMe in September 2011.

I had a terrible experience with this company.
    After initial phone interview with a hiring manager I came to the company's office in Mountain View for a face to face interview. I had to take a time off at my work to be able to make it.
    The interviewers were not there, HR people were not there, I waited for almost an hour in the empty conference room and then I just left. Apparently, the place is extremely disorganized. Got email from HR with apologies and request for reschedule, but decided not to proceed.

Interaction Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at 23andMe in September 2009.

A couple of phone interviews first, and then they flew me in for an interview. I got interview by 8 people, all different levels of the team. 2 of them were developers. some were PMs, others designer and last one was with a VP. Developers asked some coding questions, general conceptual questions... designers gave me scenarios. Nice people.