23andMe

10 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at 23andMe in March 2014.

Interview Details – Just one phone interview. Talk about the projects and then some technical questions. Very basic programming questions.

Interview Question – this keyword in Javascript   Answer Question

Data Engineer Interview

Data Engineer

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at 23andMe in October 2013.

Interview Details – Slow process overall. Applied online and got the first contact after more than a week for a phone interview. Then no response for another week (even with follow-up emails) from HR who had, in fact, arranged the phone interview.

Finally phone-interview (with 2 managers) was setup and it went well. For a week again no response either from HR or managers. Couple of emails to HR person went no where. Sent blind emails and a day later hiring manager informed of HR making face-to-face interview arrangements.

1:1 Interview was easy covering technical, related skills, etc. Then no response for more than a week and then with follow-up was informed they were finalizing and wrapping up interviews ("...we are finishing up onsite interviews this week...I'll be back in touch shortly"). Another week later contacted for any updates and never heard back.

No final response after phone, 1:1 interviews.

Interview Question – Asked me more about what would the major DW architectural changes that could be done to existing systems at 23 and some cost/benefit informational details.   Answer Question

Enterprise Security Manager Position Interview

Enterprise Security Manager Position

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at 23andMe in October 2013.

Interview Details – I'm not sure who runs recruiting there but in nearly 15 years of being in the industry this was clearly the worst recruiting process I've ever been through. I don't know if it's outsourced or not so won't hold it against the company.

Recruiting Process Timeline

October 2nd: Applied on line

October 7th: Recruiter contacted me asking if I'd be available for a phone screen on the 11th to which I replied immediately.

October 9th: Recruiter e-mailed me on the 9th confirming the phone screen.

October 11th: Phone screen went well

October 13th: Recruiter e-mailed me saying the phone screen went well and the office admin will be scheduling an onsite

October 14th: Their office admin schedules my onsite for the 16th

October 16th, Interview took about 4 hours and I thought it went well. The questions were straight forward and the conversations about the business model piqued my interest. Seemed like it would be a great company to work for

October 17th: Pinged the recruiter to check for feedback to which she replied that she'd get feedback and circle back

October 18th: Pinged the recruiter to check in (no response)

October 21st: Pinged the recruiter to check in because another offer was about to come in and wanted to weigh my options. She replied stating that she will get feedback and circle back with me tomorrow.

October 23rd: Still no feedback

October 24th: The Recruiter sends me an e-mail asking if I can come back for another face to face on the 29th

October 29th: Have the second round of face to face, now already with another offer in hand which I have to make a decision on by end of day 11/4. I spoke to HR and also said that I had an offer on the table

November 1st Ping for feedback (No response)

November 4th Ping for feedback (No response)

Interview Question – Nothing out of the ordinary   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Bioinformatics Interview

Bioinformatics

I applied online and interviewed at 23andMe.

Interview Details – Phone interview only and HR seemed very ill prepared

Interview Question – Nothing out of the ordinary   Answer Question

Survey Methodologists Interview

Survey Methodologists

Interviewed at 23andMe

Interview Details – Got an phone interview from the director of research, asked me why choosing their company, my programming experience, what I am going to do in the future.

Interview Question – If a study wants to find out whether the respondent has got one or more of the diseases (about 150 in total), how would you design the questionnaire?   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Product Manager

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at 23andMe in May 2013.

Interview Details – I was contacted by the HR to be directly interviewed by the Dr. Product. It was one of the best in person interviews I had. The Director was very engaging and asked me to the point and relevant questions.

Interview Question – How would you find out what customers want?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Mountain View, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at 23andMe in September 2011.

Interview Details – I had a terrible experience with this company.
After initial phone interview with a hiring manager I came to the company's office in Mountain View for a face to face interview. I had to take a time off at my work to be able to make it.
The interviewers were not there, HR people were not there, I waited for almost an hour in the empty conference room and then I just left. Apparently, the place is extremely disorganized. Got email from HR with apologies and request for reschedule, but decided not to proceed.

Interview Question – tell me about your experience   Answer Question

Interaction Designer Interview

Interaction Designer
Mountain View, CA

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at 23andMe in September 2009.

Interview Details – A couple of phone interviews first, and then they flew me in for an interview. I got interview by 8 people, all different levels of the team. 2 of them were developers. some were PMs, others designer and last one was with a VP. Developers asked some coding questions, general conceptual questions... designers gave me scenarios. Nice people.

Interview Question – How would you design a spice rack for the blind.   Answer Question

Product Writer Interview

Product Writer
Mountain View, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at 23andMe in February 2009.

Interview Details – I was contacted by the company's recruiter via e-mail asking if I'd like to speak to her on the phone the following week. She gave a specific day and asked for times. I then responded with specific times but didn't hear back from her, which led me to e-mail her again. Finally, we arranged to do a phone interview and I thought it went well, but then I never received a callback for an in-person interview. Even after following up, I never received a response.

Interview Question – Describe your experiences condensing a difficult concept into simple, short copy.   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Engineer

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at 23andMe in June 2009.

Interview Details – Telephone screen from my submitted resume. The team there seems to be a combination of scientists and software engineers. The shop seems to use python for everything.

Interview Questions

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for 23andMe? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at 23andMe interview questions and advice. All 10 interview reviews posted anonymously by 23andMe employees and interview candidates.