23andMe

Updated Sep 4, 2014

5 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at 23andMe in August 2014.

Applied online via 23andMe's website. Received HR correspondence within two days and scheduled 30-min phone chat with hiring manager two days later. Was notified to come in for in-person interviews on-site in Mountain View. Final round consisted of five 45-min interviews. HR rep let me know the next day that I had one more interview via Google Hangout. Heard back from HR rep that I would be contacted by HR director for next steps. After an initial discussion about career goals and expectations with the HR director, I was given a verbal offer. Entire process took 2-3 weeks.

Interviews were mostly about past experience, skills, and projects. All of the interviews felt more like conversations and everyone was nice and genuinely interested during the discussions. A couple of interviews were formulaic (i.e. it's clear that the interviewer had to hit a list of questions) - but that's expected. Lots of behavioral questions (i.e. what is your approach to X - can you give me an example of this).

I had a great experience meeting with the 23andMe team. Everyone was smart, dedicated, and very down to earth - what more can you ask for in colleagues? I liked how they gave me the opportunity to speak with many people on the team - really gave me a sense of the culture and it showed me how thoughtful they are as a company. Overall, it was a very pleasant experience and I could see myself working there in the future, if the right opportunity is there.

Interview Questions
    • It would depend on the position - for this role, I was asked many questions about how I would go about interacting or solving problems with various stakeholders, both internal and external.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at 23andMe in May 2014.

Applied online, 1 phone interview 1 onsite interview. Talk about what projects I have been working on, what kind of thing I did during my spare time and then some technical questions. (algorithm, data structure, bit manipulation)..

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at 23andMe in September 2011.

I had a terrible experience with this company.
    After initial phone interview with a hiring manager I came to the company's office in Mountain View for a face to face interview. I had to take a time off at my work to be able to make it.
    The interviewers were not there, HR people were not there, I waited for almost an hour in the empty conference room and then I just left. Apparently, the place is extremely disorganized. Got email from HR with apologies and request for reschedule, but decided not to proceed.

Interaction Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at 23andMe in September 2009.

A couple of phone interviews first, and then they flew me in for an interview. I got interview by 8 people, all different levels of the team. 2 of them were developers. some were PMs, others designer and last one was with a VP. Developers asked some coding questions, general conceptual questions... designers gave me scenarios. Nice people.

Product Writer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at 23andMe in February 2009.

I was contacted by the company's recruiter via e-mail asking if I'd like to speak to her on the phone the following week. She gave a specific day and asked for times. I then responded with specific times but didn't hear back from her, which led me to e-mail her again. Finally, we arranged to do a phone interview and I thought it went well, but then I never received a callback for an in-person interview. Even after following up, I never received a response.

Interview Questions
    • Describe your experiences condensing a difficult concept into simple, short copy.   Answer Question