2K Games Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Jun 2, 2014
Updated Jun 2, 2014
7 interviews

Marketing Department Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at 2K Games.

Was contacted via a recruiter via email which led to a phone interview. We discussed my previous work experience and career goals. This lead to another phone interview, this time with members from the marketing department that I would be joining. Many of the same questions were asked, though they focused more on why one would choose to work at 2K versus any other game company. Then a third phone interview, this one with the head of the department. The one on one call had many questions about experience, management techniques, etc. Finally an in- person interview with the department and tangential department staff, this was less of an interview and more of an introduction to the team members, it was not overly formal and the last one on one was replaced with a lunch with many people from the team.

Interview Questions
    • The position was not clearly defined and so questions ranged from typical to bizarre. There were many questions about the current games released by the publisher. Toughest question: Why work at 2K versus any other game company?   View Answer

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Rafael, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Rafael, CA

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at 2K Games.

It was conducted in a comfortable, personable and non-threatening environment. I was questioned by the immediate supervisor/manager then I was introduced to most of the senior managers and upper management. Each person revealed very different managerial styles; I found that as a plus. I received the job offer within seven hours.

Interview Questions
    I did not negotiate; something I would reconsider having gained knowledge.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

I interviewed online. The process took 4 days - interviewed at 2K Games.

About a week after applying online I got a call and had an on the spot phone interview. The questions were based off of why I wanted that job, what my ideal work environment is, what my ideal career is, what video games I play, and if I had experienced bugs in video games before. The interviewer liked my responses and scheduled an interview for me 2 days later.

The in-person interview was conducted by two people (A team lead and someone from HR) and included similar questions to the phone interview. I recommend researching QA testing, specifically with games. After the in-person interview I received an offer by email later that day.

Interview Questions
    No negation. I was offered a contract position without benefits.

QA Tester Interview

Phone interview, then an onsite interview involving a multiple page test.

The first week after accepting the offer we had to test old PS2 games on 12 inch crt tvs that gave me headaches.

Interview Questions
    • Spot the difference question with a face hidden in an image of coffee beans in the lower left corner. The face is obvious when you see if, somehow I missed it.   Answer Question

Gaming Tester Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at 2K Games in April 2013.

Initial Contact was made by the HR department, in a pre-screening phone call. Received a follow-up email regarding the details of the phone call and scheduled in-person interview. The In-person interview was short, direct and to the point. There were two interviewers to one applicant. Both Interviewers asked questions and maintained their professionalism. They seemed genuinely interested in the responses.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing asked was difficult to answer, and all questions were on topic.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee  in  Northridge, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Northridge, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at 2K Games in March 2012.

Be prepared for very low pay of $10 with no benefits. They ask you in the phone interview if you are wiling to work up to 72 hours a week. Practice using a pen and printing quickly as you have to take a test that requires a lot of writing when you come in for the interview (I laugh at technology companies that give you tests with a pen and paper - especially a timed one when most of them can barely write without a computer). Study up on grammar (especially the use of They're, There, Their and its, it's and your, you're), baseball, basketball and hockey rules and mostly on how to QA test a random machine (you'll need to write a long and detailed response and it's the most important question - and the last one).

They really get away with murder because so many people want to play games for a living. Their turnover must be extremely high. Search the internet for other reviews of QA testing. It is not a pretty picture or a career move unless you're just using it as a stepping stone to get to the job you really want with them in a few years.

Interview Questions
    • Describe in detail how you would QA a soda vending machine   View Answer
    • What is a clear path foul in basketball and what is the penalty?   View Answers (2)

Game Programmer Interview

The process took a day - interviewed at 2K Games in January 2012.

They gave me a algorithm programming assignment and ask me to write standard C style code to solve it. The question is a little bit difficult. I came up with an algorithm but it seems that it doesn't work right for some situations.

Interview Questions
    • Given several cities and their mutual distance, find an algorithm to find the minimum time to spread a message throughout all cities.   View Answer

Worked for 2K Games? Contribute to the Community!