2K Games Interview Questions

Updated Jul 1, 2015

2.7

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at 2K Games (San Francisco, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

Contacted by 3rd party recruiter. A day later (these guys move fast, recruiter says) got email from 2K Executive VP to set up a call. The phone call was set up within a day.

The VP was 15 minutes late to call for the pre-arranged phone screen appointment.

After briefly exchanging pleasantries and intros, and each spending a couple minutes about "tell me what you do", the VP clearly expressed disinterest and we mutually ended the call.

Interview Questions

• Nothing specific, just the usual "tell me about yourself".   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at 2K Games in May 2015.

Interview

Applied online, got online assessment covering fundamental programming in C++, data structure, graphic fundamental, then finally got two phone interviews with the HR and the software manager. The hiring manager, she just asked the behavioral questions and told the software engineering manager would be in touch in a week. Then, got another call after a week or so with the software manager asking about basic experience, skills and QA related questions.

Programmer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Novato, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at 2K Games (Novato, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

Two-hour small-project coding test which was kind of cool. Thumbs-up for that!

Thumbs-down: The phone interview required a completely insane NDA with a permanent universal non-disparagement clause. It would have prevented me from criticizing any *future* game of theirs *on my personal Twitter*. And yes, they explicitly mentioned Twitter as a thing which was included in the non-disparagement clause. No time limit, covers the company, all games past present and future, and all employees past present and future.

It's probably not enforceable but I'm not real fond of signing things I plan to break. I'd be extremely hesitant to sign that with a great job offer attached. I'm definitely not signing that for a phone interview.

Dev QA Tester Interview

Anonymous Employee in Novato, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at 2K Games (Novato, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

12+ years games QA veteran. Applied for a position at Hangar 13.

First was an easy phone conversation with the recruiter. Then went in and interviewed with 3 pairs of people (2 Designers, producer+engineer, QA Manager + Tools tester). The questions were mostly about figuring out my professional philosophies, answering problem solving hypotheticals and inter-personal issue resolution. I felt the interviews went well.

Hearing back from them took a few days longer than they projected and I was eventually turned down for the job because I was "overqualified" and there was concern that I would become bored and unhappy in a non-leadership position. Which I feel was a subjective reason.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle prioritizing multiple tasks if you do not have the time to accomplish them all.   1 Answer

Associate Producer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at 2K Games (New York, NY).

Interview

I got an interview for the job after applying on their website.
     I have been working in the industry for several years and I have to say the interview process from to start to finish was very unprofessional.

My first phone interview was scheduled and confirmed with HR for a Friday at 10 in the morning as it was the most convenient time for them. Turns out the day and time came but the phone call didn't. I sent an email to my contact and only got an answer a few days later via email stating how sorry the person was and rescheduled for another day.
    When the HR called, it went well with basic questions about experience and salary. A couple days later I hear back and gets scheduled for a 2nd interview with a couple producers (still over the phone). This was the most ridiculous conversation I have had in a professional environment. They started by saying that they didn't know what to ask because they had been in interviews for the past hours and were too tired to think. Way to open an interview conversation. It ended up lasting only 5 minutes because has they said, they were too tired to think of questions to ask.

Hands down the worse interview I had or heard off.

About a week later I received an email stating that someone else was a better fit. In all honesty, have I had the job, there was no way I was accepting that offer. The culture seems a bit tainted to me.

Associate Producer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Novato, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 8+ monthsinterviewed at 2K Games (Novato, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

I got an email to schedule an interview after 6-8 months of putting in an application. I was apparently a new applicant so all the recruiter wanted was to input me into their data and see if I was still interested. She seem lackadaisical like she was bored of her job after so many years because her questions were uninteresting. I always feel a recruiter's job is to make a job interview a good experience. Afterall, it is the recruiter that represents the company. They are in just as much position to impress the candidate as the other way around. Afterwards, there was no followup. I emailed the recruiter for updates, and all I got was a "don't call me, I'll call you" type of email with a "feel free to apply to any future jobs you see listed" and a link to Jobs in Game Industry which I felt odd to include. I have yet applied to a couple after this rejection, but got no response. They leave positions up for months, even years on end with nobody hired for the position. I am really starting to believe that nobody works there at all. For a company to have a long list of positions open for long periods of time really says something about a company. And 2K Games in Novato is the Headquarters!

Interview Questions

• Basic Questions like what do you think you are qualified?   Answer Question

Video Editor Interview

Application

The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at 2K Games.

Interview

A quick phone interview followed by a test edit, they wanted me to make a game trailer for the nba game. Which took like a week to make in order to make it nice. They liked the edit I did and it was followed by another phone interview. That went well and they wanted me to come in for in person interview the following week. Now at this stage it already been 3 - 4 weeks past. At the interview on site It was no difficult questions and it was at a relaxed environment more like a conversation. After that they wanted me to take a revision edit on what I made for them earlier. And thats when they decided to stop pursing with me. Which is frustrating because at that stage I've invested more than a month with them. And their reason was that I was not original enough on the graphics I made. Which is understandable if they are looking for top motion designer..

Interview Questions

• Do you take it personal when someone provide you with negative feedback?   1 Answer

Marketing Department Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at 2K Games.

Interview

Was contacted via a recruiter via email which led to a phone interview. We discussed my previous work experience and career goals. This lead to another phone interview, this time with members from the marketing department that I would be joining. Many of the same questions were asked, though they focused more on why one would choose to work at 2K versus any other game company. Then a third phone interview, this one with the head of the department. The one on one call had many questions about experience, management techniques, etc. Finally an in- person interview with the department and tangential department staff, this was less of an interview and more of an introduction to the team members, it was not overly formal and the last one on one was replaced with a lunch with many people from the team.

Interview Questions

• The position was not clearly defined and so questions ranged from typical to bizarre. There were many questions about the current games released by the publisher. Toughest question: Why work at 2K versus any other game company?   1 Answer

QA Tester Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at 2K Games (Las Vegas, NV) in June 2014.

Interview

Phone pre interview then a two set in person interview. Interview was general questions and really more of a get to know you game. Don't worry about dressing up, I was interviewed by a obnoxious guy who tried really hard to flex his "Hey Im a proud and loud New Yorker" wearing a faded NY Jets shirts and a smelly guy who was wearing a hoodie and a Superman lanyard.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Rafael, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at 2K Games (San Rafael, CA).

Interview

It was conducted in a comfortable, personable and non-threatening environment. I was questioned by the immediate supervisor/manager then I was introduced to most of the senior managers and upper management. Each person revealed very different managerial styles; I found that as a plus. I received the job offer within seven hours.

Interview Questions

• What do I consider my worst quality?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I did not negotiate; something I would reconsider having gained knowledge.