2U

Updated Dec 15, 2014

2.6

22 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Admissions Counselor Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at 2U.

A few rounds of interviews, starting with a phone interview then bringing me in for a panel interview which lasted about 2 hours. The panel was one after another asking situational questions but overall just background. After that, I received a call from my recruiter and they begun looking at my references and a week later, a job offer!

Interview Questions
  • What is more important, the process or the destination   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for 2U

Admissions Counselor Interview

The process wasn't too bad. I did a phone interview and then an in-person interview. They didn't offer a relocation package prior to me staring. Not sure if that has changed. It wasn't too extensive or over bearing. I referred my best friend and she got the job and her experience was very similar to my own.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at 2U in October 2014.

It was a phone interview, with pretty basic questions, about my strengths, weaknesses, work history, etc. It was made clear that this was a sales position with expectations of up to 100 calls per day. Since this was not clear from the job posting, it was good to learn this from the phone interview. It would not have been a good fit.

Interview Questions
    • Would you be comfortable making up to 100 calls per day?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Landover, MD

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at 2U in August 2014.

I had a 30 minute phone interview with a recruiter and scheduled an in person interview while we were still on the phone. The in person interview consisted of three 30 min one on one interviews with a director, manager, and senior admissions counselor. Questions were pretty basic and you could tell that they were evaluating firm fit but also team fit.

Interview Questions
    • How would you respond to a student's financial concerns?   View Answer
    They wanted me to start only 1 week after I was made the offer and I negotiated to start a bit later in order to give a proper 2 weeks notice at the job I was leaving. I did not try to negotiate anything else.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Landover, MD

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at 2U in August 2014.

I started with a 20 minute phone interview, then had an in person interview, they checked my references and had me interview for another position in the company and then I waited a while to hear anything at all.

Admissions Counselor Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at 2U.

I had an initial screening interview over the phone, which was fairly long and more detailed than I expected. I was asked very expected questions like "why do you want this position?" "what makes you qualified for the position?" etc. I was then brought in for an interview with the senior admissions counselor. The office atmosphere seemed very welcoming, everybody said hello and smiled at me as I was waiting. The interview itself was very similar to the phone interview.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle a potential student that didn't want to do the program because it was too expensive?   Answer Question

Admissions Counselor Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at 2U in June 2014.

I was initially contacted by HR for a phone interview followed by two more phone interviews with the VP of Admissions and the Director of Admissions. The interviews were all through the phone, because I was not in town. They are flexible with scheduling, which is definitely a plus.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Landover, MD

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at 2U.

I interviewed at a unique time in the company. They have been growing extremely fast, so they needed to hire about 20 people. I had actually applied for another job in the company, but had gotten a call about admissions because I have admissions experience. The first step was to come in with a bunch of other applicants in one day. There were about 10 others there at the same time as I was. I ended up meeting with 3 people that day-one of the admissions counselors, one of the managers for the admissions program, and then a person from HR. It was definitely not efficient. I was asked the same questions, or at least a lot of similar questions by each person. And for a sales environment, I was surprised by how many closed ended questions there were (How do you feel about the no a**hole policy? How do you feel about wearing jeans to work? How do you feel about alcohol at work? etc.). Then, about 2 days after that, I got a call about doing a phone interview with one of the other managers. I was out of town at the time for about a week(bad timing on my part), but there was a perfect block of time where I could schedule the phone interview. Well, the day of the phone interview, I get a call about 10 minutes before it's supposed to happen from an HR person in their NYC office. They would prefer to do an in person interview rather than phone (so frustrating!). I was still out of town for several more days, so I had to wait until the beginning of the next week to go in. I went in the office and was given a tour of the place where if hired, I would be working. I then met with the other manager, who asked only about 3 formal job interview questions which were again, the same exact questions that I had been asked the other day. I also got to meet with 2 admissions counselors, just to pick their brains and find out more about the day to day work. They were very straightforward about letting us know that this is a sales job, and they were pretty open and honest about the company. Their interview process is definitely a little frustrating though.

Interview Questions
    • Be prepared, at least for admissions jobs, to answer questions like "How would you sell ___ program?" and situational questions along those lines.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Landover, MD

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at 2U.

I found the job on a website. I applied and sent in my resume because it was close and the work was similar to other jobs I had performed in the past. I was very surprised to receive a phone interview within an hour. I environment was relaxed and the was even more surprised to be interviewed the following day with a Senior Director. The environment was relaxed and everyone that I met was very friendly.

Interview Questions
    • I was given a tour of the company by my potential supervisor. He others of the value of our services?" Of course, I answered "yes". The response,"Great. Convince me right now."   View Answer
    There was none. Everyone started at the same pay for that position.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Landover, MD

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at 2U in May 2013.

I first had a phone interview with a recruiter for 2U. She asked good questions that really helped me evaluate the position as well as provide her with a clear picture of my ability. From that point I moved to an interview with the manager which was similar to the phone conversation. I had a final interview with the director of the dept which was a bit longer and he was clearly looking for a cultural fit as well as sales ability which made me feel immediately at ease when joining the team.