2U

Getting the Interview

14 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Landover, MD

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at 2U in June 2012.

Interview Details – I was hired as part of a "hiring blitz". A short conversation via email started the process (basic resume questions), then I was invited into the office for the "hiring blitz". This happened in about a week. It was one day in the office, with 3 short rapid-fire interviews (or at least that was the idea), with about 30-40 people brought in. The interviews were spread across directors, management and HR, and all were pretty standard in terms of explaining your resume, goals, why you would excel here etc. However, my three 10 minute interviews were spread out over four hours. I was the first one in, and the last one out. I felt like the whole process was pretty disjunctive, and not entirely well organized. I was made an offer over the phone about another week later.

Interview Question – If you had one super power, what would it be?   Answer Question

Landover, MD

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at 2U.

Interview Details – I interviewed at a unique time in the company. They have been growing extremely fast, so they needed to hire about 20 people. I had actually applied for another job in the company, but had gotten a call about admissions because I have admissions experience. The first step was to come in with a bunch of other applicants in one day. There were about 10 others there at the same time as I was. I ended up meeting with 3 people that day-one of the admissions counselors, one of the managers for the admissions program, and then a person from HR. It was definitely not efficient. I was asked the same questions, or at least a lot of similar questions by each person. And for a sales environment, I was surprised by how many closed ended questions there were (How do you feel about the no a**hole policy? How do you feel about wearing jeans to work? How do you feel about alcohol at work? etc.). Then, about 2 days after that, I got a call about doing a phone interview with one of the other managers. I was out of town at the time for about a week(bad timing on my part), but there was a perfect block of time where I could schedule the phone interview. Well, the day of the phone interview, I get a call about 10 minutes before it's supposed to happen from an HR person in their NYC office. They would prefer to do an in person interview rather than phone (so frustrating!). I was still out of town for several more days, so I had to wait until the beginning of the next week to go in. I went in the office and was given a tour of the place where if hired, I would be working. I then met with the other manager, who asked only about 3 formal job interview questions which were again, the same exact questions that I had been asked the other day. I also got to meet with 2 admissions counselors, just to pick their brains and find out more about the day to day work. They were very straightforward about letting us know that this is a sales job, and they were pretty open and honest about the company. Their interview process is definitely a little frustrating though.

Interview Question – Be prepared, at least for admissions jobs, to answer questions like "How would you sell ___ program?" and situational questions along those lines.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Landover, MD

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at 2U.

Interview Details – I found the job on a website. I applied and sent in my resume because it was close and the work was similar to other jobs I had performed in the past. I was very surprised to receive a phone interview within an hour. I environment was relaxed and the was even more surprised to be interviewed the following day with a Senior Director. The environment was relaxed and everyone that I met was very friendly.

Interview Question – I was given a tour of the company by my potential supervisor. He others of the value of our services?" Of course, I answered "yes". The response,"Great. Convince me right now."   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was none. Everyone started at the same pay for that position.

Landover, MD

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at 2U in May 2013.

Interview Details – I first had a phone interview with a recruiter for 2U. She asked good questions that really helped me evaluate the position as well as provide her with a clear picture of my ability. From that point I moved to an interview with the manager which was similar to the phone conversation. I had a final interview with the director of the dept which was a bit longer and he was clearly looking for a cultural fit as well as sales ability which made me feel immediately at ease when joining the team.

Admissions Counselor

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at 2U in October 2012.

Interview Details – I submitted my resume via my school's job database. I received an email from HR the next day to schedule an interview and fill out some paperwork. I filled out the form and scanned and emailed it to the intern. I scheduled a phone interview. Basically, they are looking for immediate hires instead of starting a full-time position in the summer, which is what I was looking for. Since I could not start immediately, instead I ended up being interviewed as an intern. They asked about my previous experience and what I knew about the company, so do some research!

Interview Question – They asked if I knew about the No A-hole policy.   Answer Question

Landover, MD

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at 2U in December 2012.

Interview Details – Quick and easy, very straightforward and no low balling.

Interview Question – unexpected was about the "no a**hole" policy I thought it was funny and I didnt expect them to ask me about it. But they do not hire a**holes here and it is a fun place to work so I am glad they asked me how I feel about it and to talk about how I diverted someone from being an a**hole in te past.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They offered me 10,000 over what I was looking to make to make my needs met. They asked me how much I wanted to be making in the interview process then they payed me what that positions makes that I applied for and did not low ball me like other companies have in the past.

Landover, MD

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at 2U in August 2012.

Interview Details – Initially, I found a listing on LinkedIn from 2tor saying they would be having open interviews the next week. I didn't really know what that meant, but I figured it would be worth a shot. So, I sent my resume via LinkedIn.

Within about 10 minutes, I received an e-mail saying that they had received my resume. In addition, they gave me a phone number, and told me I had 12 hours to call the number, and leave a voicemail answering a couple of questions (name, salary range, what is something your passionate about, what superpower would you have). I immediately called the number and left a voicemail answering the questions. Within about 15 minutes after leaving the message, I got a call from the recruiter telling me that I had passed the pre-screen, and I was invited to go in for the interview.

On the day of the interview, there were at least 30 some people there. After registration, they gathered us in a large room, and one of the company execs made a brief presentation about the company, the position, and what we would be doing that day. Then, several interviewers came in and introduced themselves, and began taking people from the room for one-on-one interviews. Some people only had one interview, and some people had as many as four. I only had two, and felt like neither interviewer was listening the entire time. They asked me to go in detail about my resume, talk about my sales experience, etc., and just nodded and their heads and said awesome occasionally.

About a week later, I received a call that I would not be moving on in the process.

It's worth knowing that the "admissions counselor" title is very misleading. This is a sales role. You will be on the phone all day trying to make a sale. However, the starting pay for this role is extremely high (50k), so it's worth looking into.

Interview Questions

Landover, MD

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at 2U in July 2012.

Interview Details – Applied online, had first phone contact with HR rep who set up phone interview with Recruiter. On the day of my phone interview with the recruiter we had a power outage and I was unable to keep my appointment but the recruiter was very good about being able to reschedule and very understanding. In the actual phone interview, we went over some basic questions, had some discussion of the role, she did ask me some questions about my knowledge of 2tor so you will want to do your homework i.e. (How do you feel about wearing jeans to work etc...". In my in person interview I met with the hiring manager first who didn't seem that engaged, but asked some basic questions. Then I met with a panel of his team members. They were friendly and had a lot of questions about what I could bring to their team. The interview began promptly at 10 and ended at 11 as describes so I felt they were very respectful of my time. Too bad it didn't work out!

Interview Question – Describe your sales philosophy   View Answer

Landover, MD

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at 2U in January 2010.

Interview Details – I was asked several questions about my background and what I was looking for in a company. I was also asked questions that I found strange at the time like how I would feel about wearing jeans to work, getting lunch 2-3 times a week, and working at a place that held in office mini parties.

Interview Question – How do you feel about wearing jeans in the work place?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was looking for a higher dollar amount than the jobs paid but the interviewer pointed out that I wouldn't need to get a new wordrobe, I would be getting lunch several times a week, and most importantly that it was a fast growing company that offered accelarated growth for the right person that was wlling to put in the effort.

Landover, MD

The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at 2U in December 2011.

Interview Details – I applied to the company at the suggestion of my friend, who is a current employee. I had applied for a postion there previously, but did not get any "bites" until I applied through her on their career website. I received a phone call with a few days, asking to fill out an employment application, and to schedule an interview with an HR representative. The phone call with the HR rep lasted about 30 minutes, and she asked me basic questions, as well as probed my knowledge concerning the education program I applied to "sell."

The next interview was a 1:1 with the head of the department, as well as a current team member. They asked me similar questions as during the HR rep's interview, as well as some questions specifically regarding sales experience, and some behavioral questions. At the end of the interview, I was informed that they weren't officially hiring until the start of the new year, so at this point, actually getting the position involves waiting for a while until their employment needs are clarified.

Interview Question – Are you comfortable making between 75 and 100 phone calls a day?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at 2U

Worked for 2U? Contribute to the Community!

2U Videos

2U – Why Work for Us?

2U, Inc., is an education technology company that partners with top colleges and universities around the world to bring their degree programs and credit-bearing courses online. Founded by educational technology… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at 2U Admissions Counselor interview questions and advice. All 14 interview reviews posted anonymously by 2U employees and interview candidates.