3M

Average Difficulty
14 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Irvine, CA

I applied online - interviewed at 3M in May 2014.

Interview Details – After a great phone interview with the hiring manager, the HR manager called and left a message asking me to give them some dates when I may be available for an in-person interview. Within hours I replied with my availability. Days went by - weeks - months - and no call back. For a week or so I continued to give them updates on my availability. I even emailed the hiring manager. Neither was professional enough to even send an email saying "we've moved on to other candidates" or "sorry, our hiring process has been delayed, please hang tight and we'll contact you ASAP". I expected more professionalism from 3M.

Interview Question – What is the most difficult challenge you've faced in your career and what did you do to overcome it?   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Saint Paul, MN

The process took 4 days - interviewed at 3M in February 2009.

Interview Details – initial communication - phone
 planning of the interview very organized

Interview Questions

Very Easy Interview

Maplewood, MN

The process took a day - interviewed at 3M in October 2009.

Interview Details – The on campus interviewer was very nice. Unfortunately, the process of getting into the door at the company (aka an on site visit) is not transparent at all. Rather than simply submitting my resume one time, I have to continuously apply to positions within the company. After the resume as been submitted to a black hole, 3 weeks later, I receive a rejection letter (like clockwork). I have yet to be contacted since my first interview. This strategy does not appear to be good for the company because they will miss out on some great candidates. Other companies that I have interviewed with have taken my resume and passed it around to the groups that they thought I would be a good fit. From there, the groups have contacted me. This approach prevents underquilfied individuals from applying to positions and provides hiring managers an additional opportunity to find people that may not have noticed the advertisement for the position the he/she has open.

It is sad to see such an innovative company lose out on great candidates. I am not the only person bothered by this hiring approach. Please for the sake of your shareholders, improve your hiring practices.

Interview Question – Nothing difficult or unexpected   Answer Question

Monrovia, MD

The process took a day - interviewed at 3M in May 2007.

Interview Details – The interview process involved one on one discussion with the engineering manager and one of his supervisors. They asked series of questions regarding my background and told me exactly what they were looking for and what I was expected to do on a daily basis.

Interview Question – Please describe your last job experience and what skills did you use most?   Answer Question

Engineering

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at 3M in November 2010.

Interview Details – Everyone at 3M was really friendly. The interview process went very smoothly, except that it took a really long time. 6 months had passed between when I applied for the job and my first day of work.

Interview Question – Tell us about your work history.   Answer Question

Engineer

The process took a day - interviewed at 3M in October 2011.

Interview Details – Interview for Optimized Operations Engineer. The interview was heavily statistics and Six Sigma related, and they obviously put a lot of effort onto Six Sigma at the company. I wasn't selected primarily because I didn't have a previous internship with the company, which makes me wonder why they even bothered to interview in the first place.

Interview Question – What difficulties have you had with co-workers in the past.   View Answer

Engineering

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at 3M in October 2009.

Interview Details – Scored the interview through my school. Consuisted of first a group interview that was fairly informal and went well. Followed this up with a series of written test on skills, apptitude, and knowledge. The final round was a one on one interview.

Interview Question – Can you tells about a weakness that aaplies to this job?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – First job out of school and did not negotiate.

Engineering

The process took a day - interviewed at 3M in February 2009.

Interview Details – Met with multiple folks for the interview, a few where 1 on 1 and then followed but a group interview. Also took a walk around on the floor and got a tour of the facility, was asked a few questions about what I thought certain things did and how things could be improved.

Interview Question – How could this area be improved?   Answer Question

Engineering

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at 3M in October 2010.

Interview Details – Interview was well organized, and took place on time. It was a basic 1:1 behavioral interview. I was asked questions about previous experiences and a given a couple of hypothetical situations. The interviewer was looking for anything out of the box and innovative. The company thrives on new designs and concepts and seem to embrace fresh ideas.

Interview Question – Which is more important to you? The initial spark that led to the development of an innovative design or the satisfaction on seeing the product work after fabrication?   Answer Question

Engineering

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at 3M in February 2008.

Interview Details – Applied online after seeing their job description and was made to wait 1.5 months before they got back. Asked to schedule a phone interview and was asked very basic questions about my profile and how I would fit in.

Interview Question – What do you know about our company?   Answer Question

Worked for 3M? Contribute to the Community!