3M Engineering Interview Questions

Updated Jan 31, 2015

2.8

Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at 3M.

Interview

Hit it off with a rep at a national career fair. The rep and i discussed medical devices and she passed me onto another rep. This next rep signed me up for an interview with the 02 Intern program, which I had not properly read up on. Interview was to take place a few hours later, and I had another interview before it that I was prepping for, so I neglected to read much about 3M's 02 intern program.

My interviewer was admittedly cranky because she hadn't eaten lunch. She was abrupt and unpleasant. She stopped me mid-interview to tell me that I should have read up better on the position she was interviewing for. It was not a fun interview. Largely my own fault. Though I never want to interview with anyone with this woman's disposition again, even if I am properly prepared and qualified.

Other Interview Reviews for 3M

Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at 3M in August 2014.

Interview

I applied directly through their website but was also networked into the job and sent my resume directly to the hiring manager. A week later their website informed me that they also forwarded my resume to the hiring manager. 3 months later the hiring manager called me for a phone interview. Two weeks later they invited me to schedule an on-site interview. On that day I was already on-site at another company who made an offer two days later. I took the offer from the other company and politely withdrew myself from consideration at 3M.

To summarize, 3M took 4 months to get me into an interview. The other company (also a large corporation) made an offer within 1 month of my application on their website. 3M is a great company, but I don't think they understand how to hire experienced professionals.

Regarding the phone interview, it was a very natural conversation. No canned questions.

Interview Questions

• None. It was a great conversation. The hiring manager dug into some of my specific experiences from my resume. I asked a lot of questions about the job.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at 3M (Irvine, CA) in May 2014.

Interview

After a great phone interview with the hiring manager, the HR manager called and left a message asking me to give them some dates when I may be available for an in-person interview. Within hours I replied with my availability. Days went by - weeks - months - and no call back. For a week or so I continued to give them updates on my availability. I even emailed the hiring manager. Neither was professional enough to even send an email saying "we've moved on to other candidates" or "sorry, our hiring process has been delayed, please hang tight and we'll contact you ASAP". I expected more professionalism from 3M.

Interview Questions

• What is the most difficult challenge you've faced in your career and what did you do to overcome it?   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at 3M in October 2013.

Interview

It was a very basic on-campus interview. They asked about my research and some behavioral questions following that. It was not for a specific opening. They basically just appended the notes taken during the interview to my profile in their database.

Anonymous Employee in Maplewood, MN

Application

The process took a dayinterviewed at 3M (Maplewood, MN) in October 2009.

Interview

The on campus interviewer was very nice. Unfortunately, the process of getting into the door at the company (aka an on site visit) is not transparent at all. Rather than simply submitting my resume one time, I have to continuously apply to positions within the company. After the resume as been submitted to a black hole, 3 weeks later, I receive a rejection letter (like clockwork). I have yet to be contacted since my first interview. This strategy does not appear to be good for the company because they will miss out on some great candidates. Other companies that I have interviewed with have taken my resume and passed it around to the groups that they thought I would be a good fit. From there, the groups have contacted me. This approach prevents underquilfied individuals from applying to positions and provides hiring managers an additional opportunity to find people that may not have noticed the advertisement for the position the he/she has open.

It is sad to see such an innovative company lose out on great candidates. I am not the only person bothered by this hiring approach. Please for the sake of your shareholders, improve your hiring practices.

Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

Application

The process took 4 daysinterviewed at 3M (Saint Paul, MN) in February 2009.

Interview

initial communication - phone
     planning of the interview very organized

Interview Questions

• your most significant contribution   2 Answers
    • your greatest challenge   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Monrovia, MD

Application

The process took a dayinterviewed at 3M (Monrovia, MD) in May 2007.

Interview

The interview process involved one on one discussion with the engineering manager and one of his supervisors. They asked series of questions regarding my background and told me exactly what they were looking for and what I was expected to do on a daily basis.

Interview Questions

• Please describe your last job experience and what skills did you use most?   Answer Question

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madrid (Spain)

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at 3M (Madrid (Spain)).

Interview

It consists in 2 parts: Online test + Group Interview
    Online test was not difficult. There were about 7 people at the group interview. Had to answer questions, solve a case talk in English. It was also very clarifying about the positions offered.

Engineer Interview

Application

The process took a dayinterviewed at 3M in October 2011.

Interview

Interview for Optimized Operations Engineer. The interview was heavily statistics and Six Sigma related, and they obviously put a lot of effort onto Six Sigma at the company. I wasn't selected primarily because I didn't have a previous internship with the company, which makes me wonder why they even bothered to interview in the first place.

Interview Questions

• What difficulties have you had with co-workers in the past.   1 Answer

Engineering Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at 3M in November 2010.

Interview

Everyone at 3M was really friendly. The interview process went very smoothly, except that it took a really long time. 6 months had passed between when I applied for the job and my first day of work.