3M Interview Questions

Updated Sep 19, 2014
Updated Sep 19, 2014

2.7

Research Scientist Interview

On campus interview, met for one hour with a recruiter. Usually a pre-requisite before rapid recruiting on site. Recruiter described interview process pretty well, and explained different positions. Then we talked about research for a bit, and ended with some questions for them.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time you were able to obtain buy-in from others.   Answer Question

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Saint Paul, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Paul, MN

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at 3M.

Standard interview process. Met with roughly 4 3M employees. Ranging form Management, to sales trainers. Asked typical interview questions. Have 30/60/90 day plan ready. Dress formal. Be ready for a long day of interviews. They will give you 10-15 mins in between rounds. Bring note pad. It's helpful to take notes.

3m Frontline Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at 3M.

Conversation with program head and school specific recruiter, mostly conversational. Talked about interests and career goals to determine fit with the open 3m positions. Not too difficult an interview. 3m is a big company and there are many opportunities, so if you talk about what you are truly interested in, chances are this is something in 3m that fits those interests. Be yourself and be friendly and enthusiastic.

Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 months - interviewed at 3M in August 2014.

I applied directly through their website but was also networked into the job and sent my resume directly to the hiring manager. A week later their website informed me that they also forwarded my resume to the hiring manager. 3 months later the hiring manager called me for a phone interview. Two weeks later they invited me to schedule an on-site interview. On that day I was already on-site at another company who made an offer two days later. I took the offer from the other company and politely withdrew myself from consideration at 3M.

To summarize, 3M took 4 months to get me into an interview. The other company (also a large corporation) made an offer within 1 month of my application on their website. 3M is a great company, but I don't think they understand how to hire experienced professionals.

Regarding the phone interview, it was a very natural conversation. No canned questions.

Interview Questions
    • None. It was a great conversation. The hiring manager dug into some of my specific experiences from my resume. I asked a lot of questions about the job.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at 3M.

Just a one on one hour long interview. Interviewers were very friendly. I thought it was very easy. I got the interview through my college and it was very easy.

Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at 3M.

Contacted by hiring manager via phone who conducted phone interview. Then in-person interview at the location I was working at. Then more in-person interviews at the corp HQ with upper level management.

Interview Questions
    • Questions are behavioral interview type, and structured where everyone is given an interview sheet to ask questions from.   Answer Question

Supply Chain Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at 3M in July 2014.

Applied via their online web-based Career section. Received e-mail confirmation of my application acceptance. The online system allows you access to where you stand in the application process as long as someone is properly monitoring on the company side. Was directly contacted by the hiring manager in a very short period of time, reviewed the opportunity and my qualifications, and was advised that they would get back with me (including coordinating an on campus in person interview) when they returned from an international trip-a week later. To date I have not heard a thing even after reaching out to them leaving a voice mail message reiterating my sincere interest and providing my contact info. The website info on my candidacy has not been updated either.

Interview Questions
    • Can you start within the month with an international assignment?   Answer Question

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Saint Paul, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Paul, MN

I applied in-person. The process took 3 months - interviewed at 3M.

Hiring process can take up to three months, including apptitude tests. Went through 2 phone interviews and one face-to-face interview before going to the headquarters for interviews with four senior managers. Then I spent a day in the field with one of the top sales reps.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a situation where you turned around a difficult customer.   View Answer
    They offered me a salary lower than i was making stating that the company car was wortha certian amount of money. I was naive enough to accept the lower offer, which I regret to this day. I was too young to know how to negotiate.

Technical Aide Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Maplewood, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Maplewood, MN

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at 3M in June 2014.

I got an email asking if I was still interested in the position and I called as soon as I saw it and set up an interview date. My interview started at 1pm the next day. The guy I will be working under got me from the lobby and right away the interview started. He really didn't ask me any questions but gave me a tour of the machines and I met some people I will be working under too. He told me there was another interview the next day and he'll choose between me and that person. The next day about 4pm he left me a voice mail saying I got the job if I was still interested. I said yes of course. It took forever for the hiring process to complete. I got the job June 26th and I start July 21st.

There was no negotiation

Technical Aide Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at 3M in May 2014.

Applied online, received phone call ~15 minutes of basic experience questions. Onsite interview that lasted about 3 hours mostly showing around/lab walk through followed by session of detailed questions about resume and some hypothetical problem solving.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too difficult, just be ready for some problem solving and know your own resume backwards and forwards. There were some basic social interaction questions as well such as "How do you work with other people when you encounter a disagreement..."   View Answer

Better offer from another company and they took too long. Total process from online submission to offer took ~2 months. Great group of people and great company, it was hard to turn down but money talks. The offer is also contingent upon drug screen and background check to be completed within 72 hours of offer acceptance.

Worked for 3M? Contribute to the Community!