3M

208 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

R&D Interview

R&D

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at 3M in November 2013.

Interview Details – Initial communication through a campus recruiter around late November, however, the contact was after the only round of campus interviews in early fall. I had a brief telephone interview over the phone and was quickly offered the position.

The R&D intern pool guarantees you a placement, but you don't actually get a job assignment until later ( Jan - Mar) when the hiring managers contact you to gauge your interest in the various intern positions.

Interview Question – no technical questions at my interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Unable to negotiate intern pay, their intern salaries are scaled based on number of previous internships and degree level (bachelors, masters, PhD)

3m Frontline Interview

3m Frontline

I applied through college or university and interviewed at 3M.

Interview Details – Conversation with program head and school specific recruiter, mostly conversational. Talked about interests and career goals to determine fit with the open 3m positions. Not too difficult an interview. 3m is a big company and there are many opportunities, so if you talk about what you are truly interested in, chances are this is something in 3m that fits those interests. Be yourself and be friendly and enthusiastic.

Interview Question – What do you like to do outside of school/work?   Answer Question

Server Administrator Interview

Server Administrator

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at 3M in April 2012.

Interview Details – First interview by phone ( I am with a temp agency) with the hiring manager. The second interview was two weeks later with the team members I would be working with. They questioned me about our field of technology, process and documentation ability\willingness. They informed me I received the job because of my personality rather than my technology experience. ( They said some other candidates freaked them out).

Interview Question – Questions about corporate culture. Basically scenario's about how one deals with other co-workers or adversarial customers.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – N/A - Was locked into wage negotiated by contracting company that hired me.

Engineer Interview

Engineer
Irvine, CA

I applied online - interviewed at 3M in May 2014.

Interview Details – After a great phone interview with the hiring manager, the HR manager called and left a message asking me to give them some dates when I may be available for an in-person interview. Within hours I replied with my availability. Days went by - weeks - months - and no call back. For a week or so I continued to give them updates on my availability. I even emailed the hiring manager. Neither was professional enough to even send an email saying "we've moved on to other candidates" or "sorry, our hiring process has been delayed, please hang tight and we'll contact you ASAP". I expected more professionalism from 3M.

Interview Question – What is the most difficult challenge you've faced in your career and what did you do to overcome it?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at 3M.

Interview Details – Just a one on one hour long interview. Interviewers were very friendly. I thought it was very easy. I got the interview through my college and it was very easy.

Interview Question – All were very standard questions.   Answer Question

Engineer, O2 Program Interview

Engineer, O2 Program

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at 3M in October 2013.

Interview Details – Interview was pretty standard. Behavioral questions, where do you see yourself in the future, etc. The interviewer was a pretty standard engineer-type person with a Ph.D. and focused a lot on the fact that people build life-long careers at the company (i.e. many stay for 30+ years there). He also focused a lot on describing the company culture.

Interview Question – You really should pursue grad school - why aren't you?   View Answer

Technical Aide Interview

Technical Aide
Maplewood, MN

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at 3M in June 2014.

Interview Details – I got an email asking if I was still interested in the position and I called as soon as I saw it and set up an interview date. My interview started at 1pm the next day. The guy I will be working under got me from the lobby and right away the interview started. He really didn't ask me any questions but gave me a tour of the machines and I met some people I will be working under too. He told me there was another interview the next day and he'll choose between me and that person. The next day about 4pm he left me a voice mail saying I got the job if I was still interested. I said yes of course. It took forever for the hiring process to complete. I got the job June 26th and I start July 21st.

Interview Question – I wasn't asked any interview question   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation

Manager Interview

Manager

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at 3M.

Interview Details – Contacted by hiring manager via phone who conducted phone interview. Then in-person interview at the location I was working at. Then more in-person interviews at the corp HQ with upper level management.

Interview Question – Questions are behavioral interview type, and structured where everyone is given an interview sheet to ask questions from.   Answer Question

Sales Representative Interview

Sales Representative
Saint Paul, MN

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at 3M in June 2013.

Interview Details – It was quite honestly a brief strengths and weaknesses assessment. Very basic and general questions that anyone who truly knows themselves can easily come up with. There were questions regarding any obstacles that you had to overcome and how did you overcome them.

Interview Question – None. All were easy and bland.   Answer Question

Regional Manager Interview

Regional Manager
Minneapolis, MN

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at 3M in September 2010.

Interview Details – Interviewed by robots, reading from script, no common sense, fit square peg into square hole, culture is non existent, run by window watchers and o2 thieves, run do not walk, if you value your career or have prospects for a good one do not consider this company.

Interview Question – Why would you want to be here?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – None existent

Worked for 3M? Contribute to the Community!