3M

Relevance Date Difficulty

Engineer Interview

Engineer
Irvine, CA

I applied online - interviewed at 3M in May 2014.

Interview Details – After a great phone interview with the hiring manager, the HR manager called and left a message asking me to give them some dates when I may be available for an in-person interview. Within hours I replied with my availability. Days went by - weeks - months - and no call back. For a week or so I continued to give them updates on my availability. I even emailed the hiring manager. Neither was professional enough to even send an email saying "we've moved on to other candidates" or "sorry, our hiring process has been delayed, please hang tight and we'll contact you ASAP". I expected more professionalism from 3M.

Interview Question – What is the most difficult challenge you've faced in your career and what did you do to overcome it?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at 3M.

Interview Details – Just a one on one hour long interview. Interviewers were very friendly. I thought it was very easy. I got the interview through my college and it was very easy.

Interview Question – All were very standard questions.   Answer Question

Technical Aide Interview

Technical Aide
Maplewood, MN

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at 3M in June 2014.

Interview Details – I got an email asking if I was still interested in the position and I called as soon as I saw it and set up an interview date. My interview started at 1pm the next day. The guy I will be working under got me from the lobby and right away the interview started. He really didn't ask me any questions but gave me a tour of the machines and I met some people I will be working under too. He told me there was another interview the next day and he'll choose between me and that person. The next day about 4pm he left me a voice mail saying I got the job if I was still interested. I said yes of course. It took forever for the hiring process to complete. I got the job June 26th and I start July 21st.

Interview Question – I wasn't asked any interview question   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation

Engineer, O2 Program Interview

Engineer, O2 Program

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at 3M in October 2013.

Interview Details – Interview was pretty standard. Behavioral questions, where do you see yourself in the future, etc. The interviewer was a pretty standard engineer-type person with a Ph.D. and focused a lot on the fact that people build life-long careers at the company (i.e. many stay for 30+ years there). He also focused a lot on describing the company culture.

Interview Question – You really should pursue grad school - why aren't you?   View Answer

Manager Interview

Manager

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at 3M.

Interview Details – Contacted by hiring manager via phone who conducted phone interview. Then in-person interview at the location I was working at. Then more in-person interviews at the corp HQ with upper level management.

Interview Question – Questions are behavioral interview type, and structured where everyone is given an interview sheet to ask questions from.   Answer Question

Saint Paul, MN

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at 3M in June 2013.

Interview Details – It was quite honestly a brief strengths and weaknesses assessment. Very basic and general questions that anyone who truly knows themselves can easily come up with. There were questions regarding any obstacles that you had to overcome and how did you overcome them.

Interview Question – None. All were easy and bland.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Regional Manager Interview

Regional Manager
Minneapolis, MN

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at 3M in September 2010.

Interview Details – Interviewed by robots, reading from script, no common sense, fit square peg into square hole, culture is non existent, run by window watchers and o2 thieves, run do not walk, if you value your career or have prospects for a good one do not consider this company.

Interview Question – Why would you want to be here?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – None existent

Saint Paul, MN

I applied in-person and the process took 3 months - interviewed at 3M.

Interview Details – Hiring process can take up to three months, including apptitude tests. Went through 2 phone interviews and one face-to-face interview before going to the headquarters for interviews with four senior managers. Then I spent a day in the field with one of the top sales reps.

Interview Question – Describe a situation where you turned around a difficult customer.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They offered me a salary lower than i was making stating that the company car was wortha certian amount of money. I was naive enough to accept the lower offer, which I regret to this day. I was too young to know how to negotiate.

Technical Aide Interview

Technical Aide
Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at 3M in May 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online, received phone call ~15 minutes of basic experience questions. Onsite interview that lasted about 3 hours mostly showing around/lab walk through followed by session of detailed questions about resume and some hypothetical problem solving.

Interview Question – Nothing too difficult, just be ready for some problem solving and know your own resume backwards and forwards. There were some basic social interaction questions as well such as "How do you work with other people when you encounter a disagreement..."   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Better offer from another company and they took too long. Total process from online submission to offer took ~2 months. Great group of people and great company, it was hard to turn down but money talks. The offer is also contingent upon drug screen and background check to be completed within 72 hours of offer acceptance.

Saint Paul, MN

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at 3M in June 2010.

Interview Details – Four hours of interviews with five people followed by four hours of sales aptitude testing, personality testing, drug testing, and intelligence testing. Part of this is to determine what you are like throughout a full days work, not simply an hour face to face meeting.

Interview Question – Tell me about something you built with your hands?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Worked for 3M? Contribute to the Community!