3M

199 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Manager Interview

Manager

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at 3M.

Interview Details – Contacted by hiring manager via phone who conducted phone interview. Then in-person interview at the location I was working at. Then more in-person interviews at the corp HQ with upper level management.

Interview Question – Questions are behavioral interview type, and structured where everyone is given an interview sheet to ask questions from.   Answer Question

Saint Paul, MN

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at 3M in June 2013.

Interview Details – It was quite honestly a brief strengths and weaknesses assessment. Very basic and general questions that anyone who truly knows themselves can easily come up with. There were questions regarding any obstacles that you had to overcome and how did you overcome them.

Interview Question – None. All were easy and bland.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Regional Manager Interview

Regional Manager
Minneapolis, MN

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at 3M in September 2010.

Interview Details – Interviewed by robots, reading from script, no common sense, fit square peg into square hole, culture is non existent, run by window watchers and o2 thieves, run do not walk, if you value your career or have prospects for a good one do not consider this company.

Interview Question – Why would you want to be here?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – None existent

Saint Paul, MN

I applied in-person and the process took 3 months - interviewed at 3M.

Interview Details – Hiring process can take up to three months, including apptitude tests. Went through 2 phone interviews and one face-to-face interview before going to the headquarters for interviews with four senior managers. Then I spent a day in the field with one of the top sales reps.

Interview Question – Describe a situation where you turned around a difficult customer.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They offered me a salary lower than i was making stating that the company car was wortha certian amount of money. I was naive enough to accept the lower offer, which I regret to this day. I was too young to know how to negotiate.

Technical Aide Interview

Technical Aide
Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at 3M in May 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online, received phone call ~15 minutes of basic experience questions. Onsite interview that lasted about 3 hours mostly showing around/lab walk through followed by session of detailed questions about resume and some hypothetical problem solving.

Interview Question – Nothing too difficult, just be ready for some problem solving and know your own resume backwards and forwards. There were some basic social interaction questions as well such as "How do you work with other people when you encounter a disagreement..."   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Better offer from another company and they took too long. Total process from online submission to offer took ~2 months. Great group of people and great company, it was hard to turn down but money talks. The offer is also contingent upon drug screen and background check to be completed within 72 hours of offer acceptance.

Saint Paul, MN

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at 3M in June 2010.

Interview Details – Four hours of interviews with five people followed by four hours of sales aptitude testing, personality testing, drug testing, and intelligence testing. Part of this is to determine what you are like throughout a full days work, not simply an hour face to face meeting.

Interview Question – Tell me about something you built with your hands?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Technical Aide Interview

Technical Aide
Maplewood, MN

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at 3M in June 2011.

Interview Details – The interview process was pretty simple. I applied online, got a call, did a short over the phone interview, and went in for an onsite interview. Most of the onsite interview was them telling me what I'd be doing, what they do, and showing me around the lab. It was fairly stress free. There was one engineer who did ask me a few typical interview behavioral based questions.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time that you had an idea and you needed other people to get on board. How did you go about doing that?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – This is a part time student for college students (typically engineering/science students,) so there's no negotiation process. It's pretty much all laid out the same for everyone.

Tech Aide Interview

Tech Aide
Woodbury, MN

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at 3M in April 2014.

Interview Details – Didn't contact me until about a month after I applied. However, once they contacted me the interview process was very quick. Had an interview about 1 week after contact, and was given an offer the same day as the interview. Interview was fairly typical and not too challenging, about 30 mins total. It was a bit intimidating with 3 employees in the room interviewing me but they were very friendly and made me feel comfortable. Mostly asked questions about resume info - are you planning on going to grad school, why did you choose your area of study, what is your biggest accomplishment, previous employment info, etc. Did ask 1 technical question.

Interview Question – Asked a technical question about a problem one of the researchers was working on - researcher was taking images of a 2D array of plastic wells, but in the images the wells were not all oriented exactly the same way. Wanted to know how to create a program to rotate the images so that the wells were all oriented the same way (ie normal to the axes), so that they could be analyzed. There was no "right" answer per se, just wanted to get my thoughts.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Intern
Austin, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at 3M in September 2013.

Interview Details – I met a recruiter at my campus career fair and was contacted for an interview shortly after. The interview was scheduled for 30 minutes and went a little over. I was asked only behavioral questions. Interviewer was nice and described some interesting projects he has worked on. I found out I had not advanced to the next round weeks later.

Interview Question – Tell me about a particularly interesting project you have worked on.   Answer Question

Regional Sales Manager Interview

Regional Sales Manager
Austin, TX

I applied in-person and the process took 3 months - interviewed at 3M in January 2010.

Interview Details – Interviewed with hiring manager, HR, and 5 of the 7 members of the operation committee.

Interview Question – How would I work with the previous position holder who was moving into a lateral position?   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at 3M

Worked for 3M? Contribute to the Community!

3M Videos

3M – Why Work for Us?

​​​​About 3M​​ Welcome to a world where your inspired ideas fuel endless progress. At 3M, you’ll help us develop the products that change the way people live and work. And you’ll realize boundless opportunities for your… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at 3M interview questions and advice. All 199 interview reviews posted anonymously by 3M employees and interview candidates.