3M

Relevance Date Difficulty

Tech Aide Interview

Tech Aide
Woodbury, MN

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at 3M in April 2014.

Interview Details – Didn't contact me until about a month after I applied. However, once they contacted me the interview process was very quick. Had an interview about 1 week after contact, and was given an offer the same day as the interview. Interview was fairly typical and not too challenging, about 30 mins total. It was a bit intimidating with 3 employees in the room interviewing me but they were very friendly and made me feel comfortable. Mostly asked questions about resume info - are you planning on going to grad school, why did you choose your area of study, what is your biggest accomplishment, previous employment info, etc. Did ask 1 technical question.

Interview Question – Asked a technical question about a problem one of the researchers was working on - researcher was taking images of a 2D array of plastic wells, but in the images the wells were not all oriented exactly the same way. Wanted to know how to create a program to rotate the images so that the wells were all oriented the same way (ie normal to the axes), so that they could be analyzed. There was no "right" answer per se, just wanted to get my thoughts.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Intern
Austin, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at 3M in September 2013.

Interview Details – I met a recruiter at my campus career fair and was contacted for an interview shortly after. The interview was scheduled for 30 minutes and went a little over. I was asked only behavioral questions. Interviewer was nice and described some interesting projects he has worked on. I found out I had not advanced to the next round weeks later.

Interview Question – Tell me about a particularly interesting project you have worked on.   Answer Question

Regional Sales Manager Interview

Regional Sales Manager
Austin, TX

I applied in-person and the process took 3 months - interviewed at 3M in January 2010.

Interview Details – Interviewed with hiring manager, HR, and 5 of the 7 members of the operation committee.

Interview Question – How would I work with the previous position holder who was moving into a lateral position?   View Answer

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Summer Intern Interview

Summer Intern

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at 3M.

Interview Details – The interview was mainly about the research I have been doing in my home university.

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected   Answer Question

Technical Service Specialist Interview

Technical Service Specialist
Saint Paul, MN

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at 3M.

Interview Details – Phone interview and then All day interview: Give a 45 minute presentation to a group of 10 people, interview individually with marketing manager, supervisor, department manager, lab manager, director, and clinical supervisor; interview with a group/panel interview (4-7 people who will be your co-workers)

Interview Question – If you were able to invent something to make your life easier or the patient's life easier what would it be?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – they have a salary range that they are allowed to offer; they will offer at the lower end of that range so ask to increase the salary.

Laboratory Technical Aide Interview

Laboratory Technical Aide

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at 3M in October 2010.

Interview Details – My resume was given directly to the hiring manager. This helped TREMENDOUSLY. Would definitely not have gotten the job through the regular HR process.

Senior Applications Development Specialist Interview

Senior Applications Development Specialist
Houston, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at 3M in March 2010.

Interview Details – Met future colleague at a conference. Interview was scheduled quickly, was very thorough full day, commitment to making an offer the same day.

Interview Question – A technical/financial question regarding market potential for application of a new product.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Negotiation phase was easy, I had the experience and contacts they were needing.

Technical Aide Interview

Technical Aide

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at 3M.

Interview Details – I was contacted for a 15 minute phone interview. At the end of this interview I was invited for an interview at the St. Paul campus. The interview was very laid back and friendly. I spoke with the hiring manager one on one for about 30 minutes mainly talking about my interests and strengths. I met for a group interview with about 6 people and presented some of my past work. At the end of the interview I was offered the job after the group had discussed in private.

Interview Question – I was asked a few detailed questions about the projects I presented (computer code syntax, design choices, etc.)   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation phase for a tech aide position at 3M. Don't try to negotiate.

Senior Research Scientist Interview

Senior Research Scientist
Saint Paul, MN

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 months - interviewed at 3M in December 2013.

Interview Details – Start with on-campus interview, which was more general and more about spreading the message that 3M does Rapid Recruiting every December (so wait for that). Later got a phone call asking me to apply for the online position starting with "RR" (for Rapid Recruiting), and got the on-site invitation after two days. The on-site interview was very fun, well organized and very impressive. It somewhat feels like a conference since I got to meet other candidates (non-competitive) and listen to their presentations. Got the offer one day after the interview.

Interview Question – What do you see you can contribute to the company, given all the information you have collected? (has to talk about detailed ideas)   Answer Question

Systems Administrator Interview

Systems Administrator
Austin, TX

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at 3M in June 2013.

Interview Details – Got called through a third party consulting firm for an initial screening call. Interview went well and then called me for in person.

Interview Question – Most of the questions were pretty straightforward from my resume. There were three interviewers and everyone was polite and friendly.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Since I came in through a third party consulting firm, i would recommend to negotiate everything during the phone screening.