3M Interview Questions

Updated Apr 18, 2015

2.7

(Graduate Degree) Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at 3M.

Interview

I initially had talked with 3M at my college career fair where I spoke directly to a member that suited my specific degree requirements. The process took less than 2 month for an initial meet (career fair), 2 interviews and 1 phone interview. Most questions were geared towards what I would like to do and selling my self on what I can do. I would like to note that the interviewer also liked how I had broad experience where all my skills set would work well with the company's focus and research areas. The interviewer said that sometimes as graduates student, we have experience that pigeon holes up to one specific area but a good background of experience that is broad but related is great.

Interviews were very relaxed, just like any other interview. They just asked me about my resume, what I learned, have I ever dealt with difficult people, and how I responded in different working environments.

Interview Questions

• What would I give as advice to younger engineers (specifically girls) to get them more involved in engineering (related to my volunteer work)?

What did I learn in the process of completing my Master's that I could take with me as I work for a company and a research team?

Answer Question

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at 3M.

Interview

They asked many technical questions and asked me to present my research for about 25 min. Then they asked regular behavior questions such like collaboration and leader ship experiences. After the interview, if they are interested in you, they will make a follow up phone interview with you and enter you into their "rapid recruiting" process, which is an on-site interview lasting a few days.

Sales Interview

Interview

Casual 3 interviews where you would go from person to person with 3 different people within the division you want to go in. You go in and have a tour as well of the amazing facilities and really enjoy iy

Interview Questions

Did not want to relocate

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at 3M.

Interview

First round on campus, 45 minute interview.
    5 minutes of introducing yourself and walk through your resume, why 3M.

30 minutes on a very interesting case. (1) given a slide describing some properties of a new material that 3M invented. Brainstorm and come up with ideas on products that could use this new material. (2) Given a use for this new material and talk about how you would price this new product. Basically cost plus, comparables and value to customers methods. Also what are the pros and cons of each method. (3) given some information on comparables in the market and how do you price this? (4) size the market for this material and what's the potential financial benefits, talk about doing some NPV calculations. (5) if you were a marketing manager for this new product, describe your go to market strategy.

10 minutes to ask some questions. Also interviewer asked (1) do you need visa sponsorship and (2) how would you decide between offers, what criteria would you consider to make that decision.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at 3M.

Interview

on campus interview. My interviewer is a phd. He is very gentlemen. He talked a little bit about the culture and experience of 3M. His question is mainly basic behavior questions, like what's your career goal? What's your biggest accomplishment? Went through the resume, and asked details about my intern and projects.

Strategic Business Development Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Paul, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at 3M (Saint Paul, MN).

Interview

30 min on campus interview followed by a day of on site interviews. The evening before the on site interviews the candidates are invited for a dinner with current team members which is a great opportunity to interact with current employees and learn about the company culture in a more informal setting.

Interview Questions

• 2 onsite interviews (90 min each) were conducted by group managers. In the first interview I was given one case with a declining profit scenario and asked to identify the best stratergy to increase the profitability via market size analysis, marketing evaluation, pros and cons, risk analysis, etc. 2nd interview was mostly behavioral to determine if I was a good fit for the company and the group I was interviewing for.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at 3M.

Interview

Two back to back half hour interviews, on campus recruiting with an info session the night before. It was mostly behavioral questions and a few technical ones about the financial statements. Asked a lot about decisions I have made in the past and the process I used to make them. Also asked about current financial events.

Process Engineering Interview

Interview

Applied online and was contacted by facility for an interview. Consisted of a conference call behavioral interview. Called back one month later and told I had been given the position.

Interview Questions

• Nothing unexpected was asked. All of the interview questions were very straight forward. Both of the interviewers were extremely nice and easy to speak with.   Answer Question

Interview

Met them at career fair and got a phone call the next day. It was a 30 min interview that dealt with basic questions ranging from why I wanted to join 3M to what I could contribute. Also, they asked me what I knew about the position. I was even asked how I dealt with a conflict.

Chemical Engineer Interview

Interview

I got a campus interview when I was in graduate school. But I only have a master degree, I feel like they much more prefer to hire PHD students. A lot of questions about previous researches and it would help a lot if you have publications