3M

Relevance Date Difficulty

Sales Representative Interview

Sales Representative
Minneapolis, MN

The process took 2 days - interviewed at 3M in August 2010.

Interview Details – Straightforward
On-campus
Interviewed for their internship Summer 2011 internship program.
Interviewed with the head manager of a division within 3M as well as a previous sales intern from my school.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you had to turn a 'no' into a 'yes'?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Intern
Minneapolis, MN

The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at 3M in November 2009.

Interview Details – I first interviewed with a recruiter on campus first. He went over basic questions of group projects, multitasking, problem solving. I was contact about a week later to set up an interview with a group manager over the phone. I talked with two people in the group for the phone interview. They basically informed me more about the company and what the position would consists of and what my background knowledge concerning the things they introduced to me were.

Interview Question – If you could invent something, what would it be?   Answer Question

Sales Representative Interview

Sales Representative
Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at 3M in February 2011.

Interview Details – 4 interviews. HR, Area manager, and 2 in person interviews. Had to give a sales presentation and describe several situations that were hard decisions and or difficult ones.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Software Engineer Interview

Saint Paul, MN

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at 3M in January 2011.

Interview Details – I sent my resume to an employee through a personal contact, and we setup a phone interview within a few days.

The phone interview was around an hour long, and it was generally quite easy. There were questions such as tell me about your greatest strength, greatest weakness, time when you dealt with a conflict on a project, etc. No technical questions beyond do you know C# and that sort of question. I was told they'd let me know something in a week or two.

About a month after the phone interview I received an invite for an on-site in St. Paul. The interview lasted about 5 hours. To begin was a 20 minute presentation about my background that was given to the group (about 10 people), and they each asked a few general questions about my background and interests. Then I had 3 interviews 30-45 minute interviews, each with two people. They all asked different types of questions, but not much technical, mostly about background, interests, experiences, etc. They then took me to lunch and gave me a tour. The last interview was a 1:1 with the manager, who asked manager sort of questions (what do you want to do long term, why do you want to work here, that sort of thing).

They told me they'd let me know in 4-6 weeks. After about 6 weeks they told me they were unable to hire for some internal reason, which continues to be the case.

Overall it was pretty easy. Everyone was nice and there were few difficult or technical questions. Seems like a fairly good environment; not very exciting, but fairly interesting and good people.

Interview Question – Why didn't you go straight to graduate school?   Answer Question

General Interview

Saint Paul, MN

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at 3M in January 2011.

Interview Details – Applied online. Received an email about a month and a half later asking if I was interested in interviewing.

Interview Question – Did not go to interview as I had accepted another job offer.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Unfortunately by that time, I had accepted another job offer. Wish they would have contacted me sooner/

R&D Engineering Intern Interview

Evanston, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at 3M in November 2010.

Interview Details – At a fall career expo, I went to the 3M booth to speak with the representative. Apparently, I had exactly what they were looking for: junior standing, mechanical engineering, and a decent GPA. The representative told me to email him with my resume and transcript, which I did. I heard back from him a week later for an interview.

Interview Question – Describe the group dynamics (in a design project) and how you contributed.   Answer Question

Communications Market Division Intern Interview

Austin, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at 3M in September 2010.

Interview Details – Interview was fairly simple. Just behavioral questions! He was a manger from the firm and he came to my campus and recruited. It was only one round of interview as it was just for an internship.

Sales Analyst Interview

Saint Paul, MN

The process took 3 days - interviewed at 3M in March 2009.

Interview Details – Contacted by a recruiter and went through a breif qualification interview. visited st. paul location for interview with a director where they asked very basic questions- why you, why us, tell me about you, what do you know about us, etc.

Interview Question – Why you?   Answer Question

Manufacturing Engineer Interview

Manufacturing Engineer
Saint Paul, MN

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at 3M in July 2010.

Interview Details – Inteview for an internal position. Applied online and met with hiring manager.

Interview Question – What are your weaknesses?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Since it was an internal position the salary was not negotiable and was handled by HR.

Strategic Business Development Analyst Interview

Saint Paul, MN

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at 3M in October 2010.

Interview Details – Set up an on campus interview, interviewer was very friendly, asked why 3M, and why that role. There was a mini case at the end where one had to size the LED light market for street lighting.

Interviews for Top Jobs at 3M