3M Interview Questions

Updated Aug 16, 2015

2.7

Researcher Interview

Interview

On site series of interviews, with a job talk, done at the same time as a larger group of potential new employees. Very pleasant, positive environment, not hostile or competitive. People seemed to really enjoy working there, and there was a lot of longevity/mobility within the company. Would highly recommend interviewing here to someone interested in scientific research in the twin cities area.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at 3M.

Interview

I was called in for a Rapid Recruiting Event. The event was planned for 3 days. There were interviews, company tours, dinners with managers and other employees. The interview part consisted of a 45 minute presentation and 45 minute interviews with each team member. The interviews had behavioral type questions in a casual atmosphere. Nothing unexpected or challenging.

Interview Questions

• What do you consider as your most significant achievement?   Answer Question

IT Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Paul, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at 3M (Saint Paul, MN).

Interview

Networked with internal contacts and monitored website for suitable opportunities. Interview for one position led to informational interview with a hiring manager with a more suitable business area. After a few months, a more appropriate position was posted; applied for that online. Screened by HR rep and then interviewed with hiring manager, director and VP.

Interview Questions

• Why leaving current position.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Structured and fair. Salary ranges for each position are enforced. Paid time off was somewhat negotiable based on years of experience.

O2 Program Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at 3M in November 2013.

Interview

One fly-out interview broken into three segments, two behavioral interviews and one tour. Very straight forward and traditional. 90% "Tell us about a time..." questions. One major idea that we kept on touching on was time management and tools for productivity. Most everyone was very "engineering-esque" if that makes sense. All were welcoming and amicable. Can't complain.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time where you made the wrong choice, and what did you do about it.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Was told by multiple others that 3M does not negotiate on entry-level positions so I didn't try.

Technical Aide Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at 3M in November 2013.

Interview

Interview and hiring process was as basic and informal as can be. Research Chemist looked over my resume, and asked several questions regarding my schedule/availability, and knowledge about basic scientific processes.

Negotiation

There wasn't one.

R&D Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at 3M in November 2013.

Interview

Initial communication through a campus recruiter around late November, however, the contact was after the only round of campus interviews in early fall. I had a brief telephone interview over the phone and was quickly offered the position. The R&D intern pool guarantees you a placement, but you don't actually get a job assignment until later ( Jan - Mar) when the hiring managers contact you to gauge your interest in the various intern positions.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Unable to negotiate intern pay, their intern salaries are scaled based on number of previous internships and degree level (bachelors, masters, PhD)

Product Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Paul, MN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at 3M (Saint Paul, MN) in November 2013.

Interview

The process is fast paced and was done through a rapid recruiting event. Potential candidates were interviewed by the interested hiring managers and several senior scientists, other managers and by the Director. One has to also give a highly technical talk which was followed by a Q&A session. Overall, I found the experience to be very pleasant and was made to feel very welcoming.

Product Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Maplewood, MN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at 3M (Maplewood, MN) in November 2013.

Interview

I was given the opportunity to meet with representatives from 3M on campus. Initial on campus interview was followed by invitation to a 4-day onsite interview at 3M headquarters. Initial review was discussing research topics followed by some behavioral questions. Onsite visit include giving an 45-minutes presentation on research topic, a whole of one on one interviews, and a lab tour.

Interview Questions

• What was the most difficult decision you've had to make?   Answer Question

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at 3M (Austin, TX) in November 2013.

Interview

Contacted by a recruiter for a position in the MVSS division. Had an on-site and was hired. Was furloughed 4 days after starting until after the holidays. During 6 month period, went through 3 cycles of layoffs

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here?   1 Answer

Lab Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Paul, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at 3M (Saint Paul, MN).

Interview

I applied online. Interview was pretty informal. I was just introduced to all the members of the lab, and was given a tour of the lab and all the equipment. Probably took a half hour or so total. They just asked very basic questions like the classes you are taking etc.