3M Interview Questions in Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN

Updated Jul 23, 2015

2.7

Tech Aide Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Woodbury, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at 3M (Woodbury, MN) in April 2014.

Interview

Didn't contact me until about a month after I applied. However, once they contacted me the interview process was very quick. Had an interview about 1 week after contact, and was given an offer the same day as the interview. Interview was fairly typical and not too challenging, about 30 mins total. It was a bit intimidating with 3 employees in the room interviewing me but they were very friendly and made me feel comfortable. Mostly asked questions about resume info - are you planning on going to grad school, why did you choose your area of study, what is your biggest accomplishment, previous employment info, etc. Did ask 1 technical question.

Interview Questions

• Asked a technical question about a problem one of the researchers was working on - researcher was taking images of a 2D array of plastic wells, but in the images the wells were not all oriented exactly the same way. Wanted to know how to create a program to rotate the images so that the wells were all oriented the same way (ie normal to the axes), so that they could be analyzed. There was no "right" answer per se, just wanted to get my thoughts.   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at 3M (Saint Paul, MN) in March 2014.

Interview

Applied via 3M's online application process. Shortly thereafter, I received a call from the department manager and set up an interview time for the following week after a brief chat focused on my resume, which seemed to have the core requirements for the position. The interview was an informal sit down. I wore a suit, which was appropriate. Khakis and a tie may have been just as appropriate, given the very casual dress of most employees at their corporate headquarters (jeans and very worn 3M polo shirts). As a recent college graduate, the interview started out with a review of High School activity involvement, progressing to college involvement and personal interests. It was more of a character interview and display of ease of communication with an unfamiliar party, as the position involved dealing with customer orders, exclusively on the phone. The interviewer went on to describe the position in depth, then proceeded to ask questions regarding how my degree and work experiences would have prepared me for this position. The emphasis for this section of the interview would be clarity in communication. Straightforward and applicable information in clear conversational format was the desired response. Feedback on the position was immediate, as no other candidates were in consideration. Each sales team leader will have their own format, this was an example of many hiring managers.

Interview Questions

• No question stands out as being difficult, as the position deals with fairly straightforward tasks. The ultimate goal was to find a candidate with the proper character traits that fit the role of the position.   Answer Question

Tech Aide Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Maplewood, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at 3M (Maplewood, MN) in February 2014.

Interview

I applied online at there website for the tech aide position several times before I got a call for an interview. On the day of the interview, I was interviewed by 2 managers. They were very friendly and I was at ease. I could tell it was a good company from the questions they asked to all the details they filled me in on the position. I got an offer within a week which I accepted. I went through a background and drug test which took 3-4 weeks to get done

Interview Questions

• How would I deal best with a difficult situation?   1 Answer

Packaging Graphics Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Maplewood, MN

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at 3M (Maplewood, MN) in January 2014.

Interview

I got an interview scheduled through my temp agency. It was kind of short notice (two days). The person I interviewed with was very nice, very personable. She asked my about my background. I went thought my education and job experience. I did most of the talking. I made sure to read the job description before-hand and explain how my previous job history and skills transferred to the position I was applying for. Once the interview was winding down, we talked about our background, where we're originally from, and even joked around a bit.

Interview Questions

• There weren't really any difficult questions. I just had to make sure I explained why I deserved the position and why I'd be a good fit.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Since this was done through a temp agency, salary was already negotiated.

Senior Research Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at 3M (Saint Paul, MN).

Interview

Had a 60 min on-campus interview in September, a 30 min phone interview in October, and a day long on-site interview in November. Whole process took less than 2 months from initial contact to offer. Full day interview consisted of an hour seminar followed by 7 30 min individual interviews, lunch, and a site tour.

Interview Questions

• If I contacted your current supervisor, what would they say your biggest weakness was?   Answer Question

Accepted a position that is closer to my family.

Senior Research Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Paul, MN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at 3M (Saint Paul, MN) in December 2013.

Interview

Start with on-campus interview, which was more general and more about spreading the message that 3M does Rapid Recruiting every December (so wait for that). Later got a phone call asking me to apply for the online position starting with "RR" (for Rapid Recruiting), and got the on-site invitation after two days. The on-site interview was very fun, well organized and very impressive. It somewhat feels like a conference since I got to meet other candidates (non-competitive) and listen to their presentations. Got the offer one day after the interview.

Interview Questions

• What do you see you can contribute to the company, given all the information you have collected? (has to talk about detailed ideas)   Answer Question

IT Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Paul, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at 3M (Saint Paul, MN).

Interview

Networked with internal contacts and monitored website for suitable opportunities. Interview for one position led to informational interview with a hiring manager with a more suitable business area. After a few months, a more appropriate position was posted; applied for that online. Screened by HR rep and then interviewed with hiring manager, director and VP.

Interview Questions

• Why leaving current position.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Structured and fair. Salary ranges for each position are enforced. Paid time off was somewhat negotiable based on years of experience.

Product Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Maplewood, MN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at 3M (Maplewood, MN) in November 2013.

Interview

I was given the opportunity to meet with representatives from 3M on campus. Initial on campus interview was followed by invitation to a 4-day onsite interview at 3M headquarters. Initial review was discussing research topics followed by some behavioral questions. Onsite visit include giving an 45-minutes presentation on research topic, a whole of one on one interviews, and a lab tour.

Interview Questions

• What was the most difficult decision you've had to make?   Answer Question

Product Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Paul, MN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at 3M (Saint Paul, MN) in November 2013.

Interview

The process is fast paced and was done through a rapid recruiting event. Potential candidates were interviewed by the interested hiring managers and several senior scientists, other managers and by the Director. One has to also give a highly technical talk which was followed by a Q&A session. Overall, I found the experience to be very pleasant and was made to feel very welcoming.

Lab Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Paul, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at 3M (Saint Paul, MN).

Interview

I applied online. Interview was pretty informal. I was just introduced to all the members of the lab, and was given a tour of the lab and all the equipment. Probably took a half hour or so total. They just asked very basic questions like the classes you are taking etc.