3M

Average Difficulty
35 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Saint Paul, MN

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at 3M in June 2013.

Interview Details – It was quite honestly a brief strengths and weaknesses assessment. Very basic and general questions that anyone who truly knows themselves can easily come up with. There were questions regarding any obstacles that you had to overcome and how did you overcome them.

Interview Question – None. All were easy and bland.   Answer Question

Saint Paul, MN

I applied in-person and the process took 3 months - interviewed at 3M.

Interview Details – Hiring process can take up to three months, including apptitude tests. Went through 2 phone interviews and one face-to-face interview before going to the headquarters for interviews with four senior managers. Then I spent a day in the field with one of the top sales reps.

Interview Question – Describe a situation where you turned around a difficult customer.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They offered me a salary lower than i was making stating that the company car was wortha certian amount of money. I was naive enough to accept the lower offer, which I regret to this day. I was too young to know how to negotiate.

Saint Paul, MN

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at 3M in June 2010.

Interview Details – Four hours of interviews with five people followed by four hours of sales aptitude testing, personality testing, drug testing, and intelligence testing. Part of this is to determine what you are like throughout a full days work, not simply an hour face to face meeting.

Interview Question – Tell me about something you built with your hands?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Technical Service Specialist Interview

Technical Service Specialist
Saint Paul, MN

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at 3M.

Interview Details – Phone interview and then All day interview: Give a 45 minute presentation to a group of 10 people, interview individually with marketing manager, supervisor, department manager, lab manager, director, and clinical supervisor; interview with a group/panel interview (4-7 people who will be your co-workers)

Interview Question – If you were able to invent something to make your life easier or the patient's life easier what would it be?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – they have a salary range that they are allowed to offer; they will offer at the lower end of that range so ask to increase the salary.

Senior Research Scientist Interview

Senior Research Scientist
Saint Paul, MN

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 months - interviewed at 3M in December 2013.

Interview Details – Start with on-campus interview, which was more general and more about spreading the message that 3M does Rapid Recruiting every December (so wait for that). Later got a phone call asking me to apply for the online position starting with "RR" (for Rapid Recruiting), and got the on-site invitation after two days. The on-site interview was very fun, well organized and very impressive. It somewhat feels like a conference since I got to meet other candidates (non-competitive) and listen to their presentations. Got the offer one day after the interview.

Interview Question – What do you see you can contribute to the company, given all the information you have collected? (has to talk about detailed ideas)   Answer Question

Lawyer Interview

Lawyer
Saint Paul, MN

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at 3M in September 2013.

Interview Details – The interview with the department head following an online application was relatively easy to schedule and cordial. The interview style was conversational with a number of relevant questions posed concerning the duties and required experience fo rthe role. It also included a good description of the working culture and department goals etc.

Interview Question – There were a number of pointed questions with regard to the particular duties and required expertise of the role. It was important to "know your stuff."   Answer Question

Senior Research Engineer Interview

Senior Research Engineer
Saint Paul, MN

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at 3M.

Interview Details – Had a 60 min on-campus interview in September, a 30 min phone interview in October, and a day long on-site interview in November. Whole process took less than 2 months from initial contact to offer. Full day interview consisted of an hour seminar followed by 7 30 min individual interviews, lunch, and a site tour.

Interview Question – If I contacted your current supervisor, what would they say your biggest weakness was?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Accepted a position that is closer to my family.

Product Development Engineer Interview

Product Development Engineer
Saint Paul, MN

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 days - interviewed at 3M in November 2013.

Interview Details – The process is fast paced and was done through a rapid recruiting event. Potential candidates were interviewed by the interested hiring managers and several senior scientists, other managers and by the Director. One has to also give a highly technical talk which was followed by a Q&A session. Overall, I found the experience to be very pleasant and was made to feel very welcoming.

Interview Question – How do you deal with a difficult situation?   Answer Question

IT Project Manager Interview

IT Project Manager
Saint Paul, MN

I applied online and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at 3M.

Interview Details – Networked with internal contacts and monitored website for suitable opportunities. Interview for one position led to informational interview with a hiring manager with a more suitable business area. After a few months, a more appropriate position was posted; applied for that online. Screened by HR rep and then interviewed with hiring manager, director and VP.

Interview Question – Why leaving current position.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Structured and fair. Salary ranges for each position are enforced. Paid time off was somewhat negotiable based on years of experience.

Lab Technician Interview

Lab Technician
Saint Paul, MN

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at 3M.

Interview Details – I applied online. Interview was pretty informal. I was just introduced to all the members of the lab, and was given a tour of the lab and all the equipment. Probably took a half hour or so total. They just asked very basic questions like the classes you are taking etc.

Interview Question – Nothing too difficult.   Answer Question

Worked for 3M? Contribute to the Community!