84 Lumber Interview Questions

Updated Sep 21, 2014
Updated Sep 21, 2014

1.8

Kitchen Designer Interview

I recently had the humous experience of interviewing with 84 Lumber Company. My résumé was found on Career Builder and forwarded to a local warehouse for an open position as a kitchen Designer. What a joke. The first comment was "we have a no-beard policy and you'll have to shave your beard if you want to work for us. Next, you'll be required to work the same hours as every other employee 48-52 hours a week (salary) so no overtime pay. In addition, extra hours would be required because of appointments. And it went downhill from there.

Interview Questions
    • Would you be willing to shave off your beard You look like you've been growing for years?   View Answer

Long hours, little pay, no support, lousy showroom, location and manager. Kitchen Designers "DESIGN AND SELL KITCHENS"! Not stock lumber, bolts, screws and windows. Plus, Why would anybody buy a kitchen at 84 Lumber anyway????

Sales Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Nashville, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

I applied online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at 84 Lumber in August 2013.

Very easy interview. Asked about relevant accomplishments and qualifications. Very relaxed.

Interview Questions
    • It was not necessarily the question it was a very bizarre personality test that focused on theft, honesty and use of illegals drugs. Not that I do any of these.....but who would be crazy enough to admit it!   Answer Question

Manager Trainee Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at 84 Lumber.

Met one on one with the Area Manager

Non-existent

84 Lumber Manager Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Louisville, KY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Louisville, KY

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at 84 Lumber in February 2013.

The interview was about an hour. The manager had a lot great things to says about 84 Lumber. He answer all my answer. I also took a small math text. Not difficult. I got a call back a few days later for background and drug test information. I took personality text.. That's it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Louisville, KY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Louisville, KY

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at 84 Lumber in September 2012.

Applied online. Got a call for a face to face interview about a week later. Basic easy questions, very unprofessional. Took a test on some old computer. Basic math stuff with some trick math questions. Got a call 3 days later to come in again. Filled out this ridiculous form asking if I wanted to fight anyone, then did a drug test and background check. Waited about 3 weeks and they just never called. I followed up for a while but he just kept saying "I don't know why they are dragging their feet on this"

Interview Questions
    • No real questions. Just a conversation.   View Answer

Management Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Niagara Falls, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Niagara Falls, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at 84 Lumber in June 2010.

Alot of odd questions in the questionaire, basically did I want to beat people up on a regular basis or do drugs everyday. Test on Old computer to see if I could do basic math (I have a degree in accounting). Store manager was an alright guy but didn't pay much attention to customer while I was there. Area manager was alright.

Interview Questions

Was told they would work around my MBA class schedule then told me I had to choose between the two of them, So I chose my MBA. Had to pay for uniforms. 48 hour a week MINIMUM. People I talked to said it was usually 60-70

Yard Labor/Inside Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at 84 Lumber in August 2009.

Interview process was pretty straightforward, just had to be able to lift things and learn quickly what materials were what

Building Supply Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Upper Marlboro, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Upper Marlboro, MD

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at 84 Lumber in July 2009.

I applied for a sales position via email. approx. one week later i recieved a phone call to schedule an interview. I was interviewed by a store manager who was very informative about the company, procedures and the position that they are offering. the one on one interview took about 1 hour.

Interview Questions
    • what is the least attractive responsibility do i think this position requires.   View Answer
    • will i be willing to re locate for the company   View Answer
    good

Any Full Time Position Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at 84 Lumber.

Unless recruited away from a competitor, all hiring for full-time positions is done at the entry level position of Manager Trainee. Process starts with an on-line application including a mandatory math skills test. It is then filtered by a recruiter and then forwarded to the appropriate store so the manager can make contact with prospective new-hire for an interview. Interviews are one-on-one. If interview is successful, a mandatory personality interview, background check, and drug screen is next step. If you pass the screens and manager still thinks you are worthy then the job is yours. Entire process can happen in as quick as a week, most generally it takes longer

Interview Questions
    • 1:1 interview is relatively informal. The depth/scope of the interview depends entirely upon the skills of the store manager as an interviewer, and it also gets dictated largely by how well the store is staffed the day of the interview.   Answer Question
    no negotiation as a new hire, you accept the job "at-will" and at the base hourly rate is what it is

Manager Trainee Interview

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at 84 Lumber in January 2012.

Filled out application for a Manager Trainee position on the corporate website. Had about a 20 minute phone interview with recruiter about a week later that wen't well. I was told my resume would be forwarded to the store manager at the location I applied to. Received call from Manager a few days later and set up interview for the following week.

At interview, I was first directed to take a skills test on an old computer they had in the office. Fairly laid back interview. I was told I would hear back in a few days, and was handed a business card with the manager's contact info on it. About a week later, I sent an email to the manager asking about the status of my application, only to be told they had selected another candidate.

Interview Questions

Worked for 84 Lumber? Contribute to the Community!