84 Lumber

Getting the Interview

12 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Yard Labor/Inside Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at 84 Lumber in August 2009.

Interview Details – Interview process was pretty straightforward, just had to be able to lift things and learn quickly what materials were what

Interview Question – There were no difficult questions at the time.   Answer Question

Sales Coordinator Interview

Sales Coordinator
Nashville, TN

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at 84 Lumber in August 2013.

Interview Details – Very easy interview. Asked about relevant accomplishments and qualifications. Very relaxed.

Interview Question – It was not necessarily the question it was a very bizarre personality test that focused on theft, honesty and use of illegals drugs. Not that I do any of these.....but who would be crazy enough to admit it!   Answer Question

Manager Trainee Interview

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at 84 Lumber.

Interview Details – Met one on one with the Area Manager

Interview Question – No difficult questions at all   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Non-existent

84 Lumber Manager Trainee Interview

Louisville, KY

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at 84 Lumber in February 2013.

Interview Details – The interview was about an hour. The manager had a lot great things to says about 84 Lumber. He answer all my answer. I also took a small math text. Not difficult. I got a call back a few days later for background and drug test information. I took personality text.. That's it.

Interview Question – None   Answer Question

Manager Trainee
Louisville, KY

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at 84 Lumber in September 2012.

Interview Details – Applied online. Got a call for a face to face interview about a week later. Basic easy questions, very unprofessional. Took a test on some old computer. Basic math stuff with some trick math questions. Got a call 3 days later to come in again. Filled out this ridiculous form asking if I wanted to fight anyone, then did a drug test and background check. Waited about 3 weeks and they just never called. I followed up for a while but he just kept saying "I don't know why they are dragging their feet on this"

Interview Question – No real questions. Just a conversation.   View Answer

Management Trainee Interview

Niagara Falls, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at 84 Lumber in June 2010.

Interview Details – Alot of odd questions in the questionaire, basically did I want to beat people up on a regular basis or do drugs everyday. Test on Old computer to see if I could do basic math (I have a degree in accounting). Store manager was an alright guy but didn't pay much attention to customer while I was there. Area manager was alright.

Interview Question – Do you like to get into fights?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Was told they would work around my MBA class schedule then told me I had to choose between the two of them, So I chose my MBA. Had to pay for uniforms. 48 hour a week MINIMUM. People I talked to said it was usually 60-70

Building Supply Sales Interview

Building Supply Sales
Upper Marlboro, MD

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at 84 Lumber in July 2009.

Interview Details – I applied for a sales position via email. approx. one week later i recieved a phone call to schedule an interview. I was interviewed by a store manager who was very informative about the company, procedures and the position that they are offering. the one on one interview took about 1 hour.

Interview Questions

• what is the least attractive responsibility do i think this position requires.   View Answer
  • will i be willing to re locate for the company   View Answer

Negotiation Details – good

Any Full Time Position Interview

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at 84 Lumber.

Interview Details – Unless recruited away from a competitor, all hiring for full-time positions is done at the entry level position of Manager Trainee. Process starts with an on-line application including a mandatory math skills test. It is then filtered by a recruiter and then forwarded to the appropriate store so the manager can make contact with prospective new-hire for an interview. Interviews are one-on-one. If interview is successful, a mandatory personality interview, background check, and drug screen is next step. If you pass the screens and manager still thinks you are worthy then the job is yours. Entire process can happen in as quick as a week, most generally it takes longer

Interview Question – 1:1 interview is relatively informal. The depth/scope of the interview depends entirely upon the skills of the store manager as an interviewer, and it also gets dictated largely by how well the store is staffed the day of the interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation as a new hire, you accept the job "at-will" and at the base hourly rate is what it is

Manager Trainee Interview

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at 84 Lumber in January 2012.

Interview Details – Filled out application for a Manager Trainee position on the corporate website. Had about a 20 minute phone interview with recruiter about a week later that wen't well. I was told my resume would be forwarded to the store manager at the location I applied to. Received call from Manager a few days later and set up interview for the following week.

At interview, I was first directed to take a skills test on an old computer they had in the office. Fairly laid back interview. I was told I would hear back in a few days, and was handed a business card with the manager's contact info on it. About a week later, I sent an email to the manager asking about the status of my application, only to be told they had selected another candidate.

Interview Question – Are you willing to work overtime?   View Answer

Manager Trainee

The process took 3 days - interviewed at 84 Lumber in June 2009.

Interview Details – Received a call from recruiting and was asked basic questions about job and was told a manager would call me. Manager calls and sets up an interview for two days later. I arrived for the interview to find out the manager was not there nor did he tell the assistant manager about the interview. The assistant manager somewhat interviewed me but told me the manager was not on location due to being hungover from watching the red sox game the night before. At that point I left immediately completely unprofessional and a waste of time.

Interview Question – Manager wasnt there to ask questions.   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for 84 Lumber? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at 84 Lumber interview questions and advice. All 12 interview reviews posted anonymously by 84 Lumber employees and interview candidates.