84 Lumber Interview Questions

Updated Apr 15, 2015
Updated Apr 15, 2015

1.9

Outside Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at 84 Lumber in February 2015.

Interview

The "hiring manager" asked inappropriate questions not pertaining to my qualifications in a room you could have stored meat in. It appeared he didn't even look at my resume and acted like I was wasting his time cause I was obviously not good enough for 84 Lumber. Why did they even bother. What a waste of time.

Manager Trainee Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at 84 Lumber in December 2014.

Interview

I filled out the application, week later received a call asked a couple basic questions about my customer exp in the past. Later got call from district manager about the position and he would have a store manager call me to set up interview. The only offered me $9.50 hour yeah right thats a joke and the wanted me work atleast 50 hours of week.

Interview Questions

they only offered $9.50 hour and atleast 50 hours week thats slave work.

Manager Trainee Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at 84 Lumber (Baltimore, MD) in November 2014.

Interview

I applied online for the manger trainee position, was called back the very next day by corporate in which they ask you a series of questions like, are you willing to work over time, are you willing to relocate, and other basic pre interview questions. Was told I would hear from the store manager who called me the very next day. Went in and was expecting a rather informal interview based on the nature of the industry and a previous working expereince with the manager. Before you even begin the "Hey how are you?" process you go back to basically confirm the worlds longest winded disclosure/review of resume and information process on an outdated DOS program. asks you a series of math questions including basic building dimensions so on and so forth that you must pass to continue.

Finished that and met with the manager who is honestly a hell of a nice guy, but he proceeds to explain that willing to work over time = mandatory minimum of 8 hours of OT a week. Willing to relocate = must relocate for every minuscule promotion (i.e. Manager Trainee to Assistant Manager to Co-Manager to Manager) By the way there are no "sales associates" those are manager trainees so your management training begins with such authoritarian responsibilities as cleaning the bathrooms, sweeping the loading docks, straightening products on shelves. Basically call every indian a chief and watch them wander around in confusion. This particular store seemed to have no home owner foot traffic, and you're expected to make sales quotas, it's much less about building a team as it is becoming a salesman. Salary was non negotiable and it sounds like you have the benefit of paying an absurd amount for all your 84 Lumber embroidered shirts that you are required to wear all by your lonesome. All in all not a good fit for me, in addition to ridiculous training seminars at corporate which seem to be limited in funding on the part of 84 for your travel, stay, meals, etc. Having to compete with everyone including my boss to squeak out a sale, standing in no heat or A/C all day for 48 hours a week (which if you don't feel like doing the math involves you working 52 eight hour days more a year than a normal 40 hour week) and a complete lack of interest in supplying their employees with better tools and systems or even amenities, I more or less ran from my interview shaking my head excitedly "No!"

Expectations are absurd, outdated sales model and tools, salary is non-negotiable.

Manager Trainee Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at 84 Lumber (Dover, DE) in October 2014.

Interview

Quick and easy. Less than fifteen minutes per interview. If you can do simple math and read it shouldn't be an issue. Basic interview questions Are read directly off of a premade list.

Kitchen Designer Interview

Interview

I recently had the humous experience of interviewing with 84 Lumber Company. My résumé was found on Career Builder and forwarded to a local warehouse for an open position as a kitchen Designer. What a joke. The first comment was "we have a no-beard policy and you'll have to shave your beard if you want to work for us. Next, you'll be required to work the same hours as every other employee 48-52 hours a week (salary) so no overtime pay. In addition, extra hours would be required because of appointments. And it went downhill from there.

Interview Questions

• Would you be willing to shave off your beard You look like you've been growing for years?   1 Answer

Long hours, little pay, no support, lousy showroom, location and manager. Kitchen Designers "DESIGN AND SELL KITCHENS"! Not stock lumber, bolts, screws and windows. Plus, Why would anybody buy a kitchen at 84 Lumber anyway????

Manager Trainee Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at 84 Lumber (Watertown, NY) in May 2014.

Interview

The online application was typical. Got a call back within a week for an interview. The interview concerned me because the manager was yelling at employees, carried a spit cup the whole time, (everyone uses chew tobacco here) the office was a shambles, the enviorment seemed rough and tense.

Interview Questions

• They will ask you during the interview and subsequent written test if you are a the if about 50 different ways.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiations, salary is set, it's take it or leave it.

Sales Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at 84 Lumber (Nashville, TN) in August 2013.

Interview

Very easy interview. Asked about relevant accomplishments and qualifications. Very relaxed.

Interview Questions

• It was not necessarily the question it was a very bizarre personality test that focused on theft, honesty and use of illegals drugs. Not that I do any of these.....but who would be crazy enough to admit it!   Answer Question

Yard Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at 84 Lumber (Allentown, PA) in May 2013.

Interview

I saw they were looking for summer help online. I went into to store and asked for an application. The manager asked me a few questions and then had me fill out an application on a computer terminal in the office. After you complete the application, you then must pass a simple mathematics / aptitude test. This test included addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, and interpreting measurements and P.O.S. lists. The manager gets the results instantly. If you pass the test and understand the demands of the job, you will most likely receive an offer on the spot. At this point you basically have the job, all that is left is a standard urine test which is taken at a local lab, and they will run a background check. The entire process from the application to the first day of work is about a week (If you filled out the application and did the urine test on a Monday, the results will probably be in Wednesday or Thursday, and you will be scheduled to start work on Monday of the following week.)

Interview Questions

• This job is physically demanding. Are you able to work on your feet 10 hours a day? Lift objects often weighing 70+ lbs? Work in all weather conditions?   1 Answer

Manager Trainee Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at 84 Lumber.

Interview

Met one on one with the Area Manager

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Non-existent

84 Lumber Manager Trainee Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at 84 Lumber (Louisville, KY) in February 2013.

Interview

The interview was about an hour. The manager had a lot great things to says about 84 Lumber. He answer all my answer. I also took a small math text. Not difficult. I got a call back a few days later for background and drug test information. I took personality text.. That's it.