84 Lumber Interview Questions

Updated Aug 8, 2015

2.0

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beckley, WV

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at 84 Lumber (Beckley, WV) in August 2015.

Interview

simple and more on the uprofessional side walked into the building met with the manager and he spoke with me about what I was looking for in a job I then took a computerized math test on an out dated computer and out dated OS then i took a personality test in a booklet manager said he would text me the next day did not receive a text until the day after next

Interview Questions

Pay was only slightly more than nine dollars an hour

Inventory Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at 84 Lumber.

Interview

Preliminary phone call with corporate recruiter. Then met with the recruiter in person two days later. Then met with head inventory managers a week later to talk more in depth about the position. A week later, met with them again to go over background check, drug test and personality screening. Two days later, met with them again to accept the position and fill out paperwork. It was a very good experience, that was conducted by great people.

EWP Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dover, DE

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at 84 Lumber (Dover, DE).

Interview

Very professional, I was recruited from another company. 84 Flew me to Delaware, and covered all expenses. We negotiated a deal quickly and they helped pay relocation costs.

Interview Questions

• my experience, career goals, salary needs, family lifestyle   Answer Question

Manager Trainee Position Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Louisville, KY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at 84 Lumber (Louisville, KY) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied for the manager trainee position posted in an online ad on April 16 around 10PM. On the 17th at around 10:30AM, I received an email response from a recruiter requesting a phone screening interview. Within hours of the email I spoke with the recruiter and had a seemingly wonderful conversation where he thoroughly explained the position, compensation, training, etc. He did an excellent job in that aspect. I was told that my information would be relayed to two separate hiring managers in 2 different locations and I'd be contacted for a face to face interview within 5-7 business days. That was the last I heard from the recruiter. The following Friday I attempted to contact him and left 2 different voicemail messages with no response to either. No rejection emails, nothing. After what seemed to be a promising conversation. I am writing this review because I believe that this sort of treatment of applicants is unprofessional and unacceptable. I understand companies get high volumes of applications and cannot always contact everyone personally. However, making false promises and not following up with individuals requesting information is NOT professional and down right disrespectful. A simple rejection, follow up email, or any kind of acknowledgment would've sufficed.

Interview Questions

• what is your leadership strategy?   1 Answer

Outside Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at 84 Lumber in February 2015.

Interview

The "hiring manager" asked inappropriate questions not pertaining to my qualifications in a room you could have stored meat in. It appeared he didn't even look at my resume and acted like I was wasting his time cause I was obviously not good enough for 84 Lumber. Why did they even bother. What a waste of time.

Manager Trainee Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at 84 Lumber in December 2014.

Interview

I filled out the application, week later received a call asked a couple basic questions about my customer exp in the past. Later got call from district manager about the position and he would have a store manager call me to set up interview. The only offered me $9.50 hour yeah right thats a joke and the wanted me work atleast 50 hours of week.

Interview Questions

they only offered $9.50 hour and atleast 50 hours week thats slave work.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at 84 Lumber (Baltimore, MD) in November 2014.

Interview

I applied online for the manger trainee position, was called back the very next day by corporate in which they ask you a series of questions like, are you willing to work over time, are you willing to relocate, and other basic pre interview questions. Was told I would hear from the store manager who called me the very next day. Went in and was expecting a rather informal interview based on the nature of the industry and a previous working expereince with the manager. Before you even begin the "Hey how are you?" process you go back to basically confirm the worlds longest winded disclosure/review of resume and information process on an outdated DOS program. asks you a series of math questions including basic building dimensions so on and so forth that you must pass to continue. Finished that and met with the manager who is honestly a hell of a nice guy, but he proceeds to explain that willing to work over time = mandatory minimum of 8 hours of OT a week. Willing to relocate = must relocate for every minuscule promotion (i.e. Manager Trainee to Assistant Manager to Co-Manager to Manager) By the way there are no "sales associates" those are manager trainees so your management training begins with such authoritarian responsibilities as cleaning the bathrooms, sweeping the loading docks, straightening products on shelves. Basically call every indian a chief and watch them wander around in confusion. This particular store seemed to have no home owner foot traffic, and you're expected to make sales quotas, it's much less about building a team as it is becoming a salesman. Salary was non negotiable and it sounds like you have the benefit of paying an absurd amount for all your 84 Lumber embroidered shirts that you are required to wear all by your lonesome. All in all not a good fit for me, in addition to ridiculous training seminars at corporate which seem to be limited in funding on the part of 84 for your travel, stay, meals, etc. Having to compete with everyone including my boss to squeak out a sale, standing in no heat or A/C all day for 48 hours a week (which if you don't feel like doing the math involves you working 52 eight hour days more a year than a normal 40 hour week) and a complete lack of interest in supplying their employees with better tools and systems or even amenities, I more or less ran from my interview shaking my head excitedly "No!"

Expectations are absurd, outdated sales model and tools, salary is non-negotiable.

Anonymous Employee in Dover, DE

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at 84 Lumber (Dover, DE) in October 2014.

Interview

Quick and easy. Less than fifteen minutes per interview. If you can do simple math and read it shouldn't be an issue. Basic interview questions Are read directly off of a premade list.

Kitchen Designer Interview

Interview

I recently had the humous experience of interviewing with 84 Lumber Company. My résumé was found on Career Builder and forwarded to a local warehouse for an open position as a kitchen Designer. What a joke. The first comment was "we have a no-beard policy and you'll have to shave your beard if you want to work for us. Next, you'll be required to work the same hours as every other employee 48-52 hours a week (salary) so no overtime pay. In addition, extra hours would be required because of appointments. And it went downhill from there.

Interview Questions

• Would you be willing to shave off your beard You look like you've been growing for years?   1 Answer

Long hours, little pay, no support, lousy showroom, location and manager. Kitchen Designers "DESIGN AND SELL KITCHENS"! Not stock lumber, bolts, screws and windows. Plus, Why would anybody buy a kitchen at 84 Lumber anyway????

Recruiting Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at 84 Lumber in September 2014.

Interview

Met with the Recruiting Manager and Compensation Manager to interview for the position. It was extremely comfortable and friendly. no pressure. They laughed and joked around with you. Best interview experience overall.

Interview Questions

• The interview was completely different than any interview that i have had. i really enjoyed every minute of it even if i got the job or not.   Answer Question