84 Lumber

Updated Feb 25, 2015
Updated Feb 25, 2015

1.7

Manager Trainee Interview

I applied online – interviewed at 84 Lumber in December 2014.

I filled out the application, week later received a call asked a couple basic questions about my customer exp in the past. Later got call from district manager about the position and he would have a store manager call me to set up interview. The only offered me $9.50 hour yeah right thats a joke and the wanted me work atleast 50 hours of week.

Interview Questions

they only offered $9.50 hour and atleast 50 hours week thats slave work.

Other Interview Reviews for 84 Lumber

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at 84 Lumber in November 2014.

I applied online for the manger trainee position, was called back the very next day by corporate in which they ask you a series of questions like, are you willing to work over time, are you willing to relocate, and other basic pre interview questions. Was told I would hear from the store manager who called me the very next day. Went in and was expecting a rather informal interview based on the nature of the industry and a previous working expereince with the manager. Before you even begin the "Hey how are you?" process you go back to basically confirm the worlds longest winded disclosure/review of resume and information process on an outdated DOS program. asks you a series of math questions including basic building dimensions so on and so forth that you must pass to continue.

Finished that and met with the manager who is honestly a hell of a nice guy, but he proceeds to explain that willing to work over time = mandatory minimum of 8 hours of OT a week. Willing to relocate = must relocate for every minuscule promotion (i.e. Manager Trainee to Assistant Manager to Co-Manager to Manager) By the way there are no "sales associates" those are manager trainees so your management training begins with such authoritarian responsibilities as cleaning the bathrooms, sweeping the loading docks, straightening products on shelves. Basically call every indian a chief and watch them wander around in confusion. This particular store seemed to have no home owner foot traffic, and you're expected to make sales quotas, it's much less about building a team as it is becoming a salesman. Salary was non negotiable and it sounds like you have the benefit of paying an absurd amount for all your 84 Lumber embroidered shirts that you are required to wear all by your lonesome. All in all not a good fit for me, in addition to ridiculous training seminars at corporate which seem to be limited in funding on the part of 84 for your travel, stay, meals, etc. Having to compete with everyone including my boss to squeak out a sale, standing in no heat or A/C all day for 48 hours a week (which if you don't feel like doing the math involves you working 52 eight hour days more a year than a normal 40 hour week) and a complete lack of interest in supplying their employees with better tools and systems or even amenities, I more or less ran from my interview shaking my head excitedly "No!"

Expectations are absurd, outdated sales model and tools, salary is non-negotiable.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dover, DE
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dover, DE

I applied through other source. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at 84 Lumber in October 2014.

Quick and easy. Less than fifteen minutes per interview. If you can do simple math and read it shouldn't be an issue. Basic interview questions Are read directly off of a premade list.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Watertown, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Watertown, NY

I applied online – interviewed at 84 Lumber in May 2014.

The online application was typical. Got a call back within a week for an interview. The interview concerned me because the manager was yelling at employees, carried a spit cup the whole time, (everyone uses chew tobacco here) the office was a shambles, the enviorment seemed rough and tense.

Interview Questions
    • They will ask you during the interview and subsequent written test if you are a the if about 50 different ways.   View Answer
    No negotiations, salary is set, it's take it or leave it.

Manager Trainee Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at 84 Lumber.

Met one on one with the Area Manager

Non-existent

Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY
    Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at 84 Lumber in September 2012.

Applied online. Got a call for a face to face interview about a week later. Basic easy questions, very unprofessional. Took a test on some old computer. Basic math stuff with some trick math questions. Got a call 3 days later to come in again. Filled out this ridiculous form asking if I wanted to fight anyone, then did a drug test and background check. Waited about 3 weeks and they just never called. I followed up for a while but he just kept saying "I don't know why they are dragging their feet on this"

Interview Questions
    • No real questions. Just a conversation.   View Answer

Manager Trainee Interview

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at 84 Lumber in January 2012.

Filled out application for a Manager Trainee position on the corporate website. Had about a 20 minute phone interview with recruiter about a week later that wen't well. I was told my resume would be forwarded to the store manager at the location I applied to. Received call from Manager a few days later and set up interview for the following week.

At interview, I was first directed to take a skills test on an old computer they had in the office. Fairly laid back interview. I was told I would hear back in a few days, and was handed a business card with the manager's contact info on it. About a week later, I sent an email to the manager asking about the status of my application, only to be told they had selected another candidate.

Manager Trainee Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at 84 Lumber in September 2010.

Applied online, received phone call from manager several days after. Went in for interview, basic questions, where do you see yourself, strengths/weaknesses, etc. Then did skills/personality assessment on-site plus went for drug test. Skills test consisted of a lot of basic algebra type math equations, no calculator, but given scratch paper. Received second call the week after, went in for second interview with district manager, similar to first. Mostly generic interview questions. Did not receive an offer.

Manager Trainee Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at 84 Lumber in June 2010.

Started with a brief e-mail to set up a time to come in for an interview. Came in for the interview and took a computer skills test which revolved around 84 lumber and the building materials the store handles. This consisted of adding/subtracting/dividing/multiplication and the use of fractions. Pretty easy test. Questions like: "Here is a list of our stores lumber inventory: A truck comes and takes 42 sheets of 2X4X6. How many sheets are left?" Just take your time and read the questions very carefully. You do need to pay attention to detail on this b/c some of the questions are worded tricky. After they check your test score (assuming you pass) they brought me to talk to the main recruiter who was hiring for the location. I talked with him for about 15 minutes as we stood in the back of the lumber store. Easy interview. Basic questions. Relaxed and laid back setting.

Interview Questions
    • Can you work in a very hot and very cold environment? Heat, snow, etc...   View Answer

I chose to decline the offer b/c of the pay and work schedule. You never would know your schedule until the week of. Working weekends were mandatory and not having 2 consecutive days off, along with the low base pay were my main factors.
    Seemed like a good job for recent college grads who want experience.

Manager Trainee Interview

The process took 3 daysinterviewed at 84 Lumber in June 2009.

Received a call from recruiting and was asked basic questions about job and was told a manager would call me. Manager calls and sets up an interview for two days later. I arrived for the interview to find out the manager was not there nor did he tell the assistant manager about the interview. The assistant manager somewhat interviewed me but told me the manager was not on location due to being hungover from watching the red sox game the night before. At that point I left immediately completely unprofessional and a waste of time.