84 Lumber

Average Difficulty
6 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Manager Trainee

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at 84 Lumber.

Interview Details – Met one on one with the Area Manager

Interview Question – No difficult questions at all   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Non-existent

Louisville, KY

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at 84 Lumber in September 2012.

Interview Details – Applied online. Got a call for a face to face interview about a week later. Basic easy questions, very unprofessional. Took a test on some old computer. Basic math stuff with some trick math questions. Got a call 3 days later to come in again. Filled out this ridiculous form asking if I wanted to fight anyone, then did a drug test and background check. Waited about 3 weeks and they just never called. I followed up for a while but he just kept saying "I don't know why they are dragging their feet on this"

Interview Question – No real questions. Just a conversation.   View Answer

Manager Trainee

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at 84 Lumber in January 2012.

Interview Details – Filled out application for a Manager Trainee position on the corporate website. Had about a 20 minute phone interview with recruiter about a week later that wen't well. I was told my resume would be forwarded to the store manager at the location I applied to. Received call from Manager a few days later and set up interview for the following week.

At interview, I was first directed to take a skills test on an old computer they had in the office. Fairly laid back interview. I was told I would hear back in a few days, and was handed a business card with the manager's contact info on it. About a week later, I sent an email to the manager asking about the status of my application, only to be told they had selected another candidate.

Interview Question – Are you willing to work overtime?   View Answer

Manager Trainee

The process took 3 days - interviewed at 84 Lumber in June 2009.

Interview Details – Received a call from recruiting and was asked basic questions about job and was told a manager would call me. Manager calls and sets up an interview for two days later. I arrived for the interview to find out the manager was not there nor did he tell the assistant manager about the interview. The assistant manager somewhat interviewed me but told me the manager was not on location due to being hungover from watching the red sox game the night before. At that point I left immediately completely unprofessional and a waste of time.

Interview Question – Manager wasnt there to ask questions.   Answer Question

Manager Trainee

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at 84 Lumber in September 2010.

Interview Details – Applied online, received phone call from manager several days after. Went in for interview, basic questions, where do you see yourself, strengths/weaknesses, etc. Then did skills/personality assessment on-site plus went for drug test. Skills test consisted of a lot of basic algebra type math equations, no calculator, but given scratch paper. Received second call the week after, went in for second interview with district manager, similar to first. Mostly generic interview questions. Did not receive an offer.

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself 10 years down the road?   Answer Question

Manager Trainee

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at 84 Lumber in June 2010.

Interview Details – Started with a brief e-mail to set up a time to come in for an interview. Came in for the interview and took a computer skills test which revolved around 84 lumber and the building materials the store handles. This consisted of adding/subtracting/dividing/multiplication and the use of fractions. Pretty easy test. Questions like: "Here is a list of our stores lumber inventory: A truck comes and takes 42 sheets of 2X4X6. How many sheets are left?" Just take your time and read the questions very carefully. You do need to pay attention to detail on this b/c some of the questions are worded tricky. After they check your test score (assuming you pass) they brought me to talk to the main recruiter who was hiring for the location. I talked with him for about 15 minutes as we stood in the back of the lumber store. Easy interview. Basic questions. Relaxed and laid back setting.

Interview Question – Can you work in a very hot and very cold environment? Heat, snow, etc...   View Answer

Reason for Declining – I chose to decline the offer b/c of the pay and work schedule. You never would know your schedule until the week of. Working weekends were mandatory and not having 2 consecutive days off, along with the low base pay were my main factors.
Seemed like a good job for recent college grads who want experience.

Worked for 84 Lumber? Contribute to the Community!