8x8 Interview Questions

Updated Jun 17, 2015

QA Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at 8x8.

Interview

It was fairly easy . There was one telephone and one face to face round . next round with CTO . Nothing very difficult . fairly easy . The HR is good .but not well versed with VISA situations

QA Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at 8x8.

Interview

Contacted by Hr. Phone screening followed by onsite interview. Onsite interviews consisted mostly of what was listed on job requirements as well as personal projects and experiences. Testing concepts was given great importance.

Collections Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a weekinterviewed at 8x8 (San Jose, CA) in December 2014.

Interview

Manager was looking for a particular type of employee... someone who would fall in line and not cause further HR headache. Unbeknownst to me, she was already under review for her performance as a manager and leader.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at 8x8 (San Jose, CA) in November 2014.

Interview

I recently finished a series of interviews for a Software Developer position at 8x8 and though it would be useful to recap my experience for those who come after me.

The team I was interviewing for specializes in Unified Communications (also known as UC) software, and the position I was interviewing for was specifically a desktop position, although you might end up talking to the same folks if you are interviewing for a mobile role as well. While 8x8’s office building is massive (the receptionist told me that at least 500 people work there), the actual mobile and desktop teams are relatively small (less than five people each, augmented with several interns). So if you make it onto the team you’ll have a chance to make a big impact.

8x8’s current UC solution uses Adobe’s Flex (a/k/a AIR or Flash Runtime) which they very much would like to get away from being dependent on.

The way the interview series went was like this: the first guy I spoke with was the hiring manager, who is actually remote far out on the East Coast. Surprisingly, he’s the only person who appears to be remotely working (other UC companies actually encourage their employees to work offsite part of time, partly to force them to “dogfood” — make use of — the software they’re working on). He did ask me general technical questions but I can’t recall any of them off the top of my head, so they must not have been that out of line.

A few days later I was invited to come into the office, which is down in a corner of San Jose extremely close to SJC airport. As best as I can tell, there are no public transit options to get to the office location. If one is feeling plucky, perhaps one can hitch a ride on some eBay or PayPal shuttle (they have a sizable campus located next door to 8x8’s building). Driving and hunting around the lot for a parking space seems to be the only way to commute and the office appears to be at the intersection of a couple major West and East San Francisco Bay freeways (which are very likely extremely jammed during rush hours), so this is either a good or bad set-up depending on how your work schedule is set up. For the office environment, it looks like everyone has half cubicles with very low walls (essentially an open plan set-up) with meeting rooms and offices along the windows, and one of my interviewers said that if one really wants to concentrate on work they could probably work from anywhere (anywhere being a meeting room or a break room or even from home). 8x8 is in an expansion mode and there’s definitely a lot of open space within the building (large carpeted areas with no cubicles nearby) for more people to be placed.

For my second, on-site interview I was scheduled to speak with only two people. The first guy was a young, very eager Flex developer who remarked he had been part of 8x8 for at least five years. I was very happy talking with him as he gave me my first look at the software I would have been porting from Flex to native. The second guy was the mobile team manager, and here is where I ran into rough seas. I’ll recap his two brain teasers below. 30-40 minutes was spent discussing these two questions and then the remaining 10 minutes was spent with me asking questions about 8x8.

8x8’s employment application (which needs to be filled out prior to arrival) asks for a candidate to furnish transcripts and to prepare to take a drug test (which I’d certainly pass, but I also feel is highly inappropriate if the candidate isn’t piloting a plane or driving some mass transit vehicle for their prospective job).

Now if I had to guess why I didn’t pass this interview, the veto came from my last scheduled interview when I lamely blustered my way through a couple analytical questions. If you’re handed a schedule that includes a mobile team manager, please be prepared for a Microsoft-style interview — the guy I spoke with appears to care more for being able to quickly solve and explaining a theoretical algorithm versus whatever practical experience you’re bringing to the table. Hopefully my experience flunking the 8x8 interview will help you to prepare to pass your interviewing day. If you find any of the information in my interview review helpful, please let me know by voting "Yes" on the "Helpful?" question below (this helps to motivate me to be as detailed as possible).

Interview Questions

• Let’s pretend four travelers with different weights arrive at river on a dark night. There’s only one flashlight and only two travelers can cross via the single boat at a time, and the time that it takes to cross the river is the greater weight (e.g. if two passengers have weights of 5 & 20, it takes 20 minutes for the two people to cross one direction and 5 for the person with the flashlight to return for additional passengers).

If the four travelers have weights of {1, 2, 5, 10}, what’s the configuration that will get everyone across in the least amount of time?

1 Answer
    • Given this source code and these constraints:

Embedded processor with 128Kb SRAM and 1.5Mb Flash ROM.
      Maximum Heap size = 100Kb.
      Maximum Stack size = 1 Kb.

———

#define BUF_SIZE 256

unsigned char acBuf[BUF_SIZE] = {0,1,2,...,BUF_SIZE-1};

void main()
      {
          int x = foo(acBuf);
      }

int foo(unsigned char *pBuf)
      {

Sum += acTempBuf[i++] = *pBuf >> 1;
              pBuf++;

return (0 == Sum) ? 0 : foo(acTempBuf);
      }

1) what is the value of x?

2) what is wrong with this code?

1 Answer

Java Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at 8x8 (San Jose, CA) in November 2014.

Interview

Got a call from university career fair around November 2014. They called for an onsite coding challenge. Nothing difficult just an easy program on threads and they also allowed using Google actually you don't need Google for that problem. Once that is cleared they called after a weeks time for another onsite interview. The interview was with three people from different department. The interview was good was not able to answer few question but overall a good interview and good experience with the interviewer. After that no reply from HR did follow-up twice or thrice after significant interval but they never replied back. The only part which I didn't like about 8x8.

Interview Questions

• General question on data structure, javascript and java.   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

Interview

pretty typical, kind of a speed dating format. its a sweat shop with tons of sales reps, so they just plow through the process. They aren't very picky, but just say your aggressive blah blah. They just want to use you and spit you out, so don't get too personal with them.

Negotiation

N/A

Backend Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at 8x8 (San Jose, CA).

Interview

I had applied to 8x8 through the career fair in my university and I got a call from a recruiter almost after 2 months. There was no telephonic interview and I was called directly for an onsite interview. I was asked to bring a laptop and it consisted of an hour long coding quiz followed by an interview with one of the member from the engineering team. The questions for coding quiz consisted of implementing an LRU Cache, Producer Consumer problem and one more question. I was not able to finish all of them in the given time. After an hour long code implementation, I was interviewed with one of the engineer. He asked me questions on the code that I had written and why I had written in a certain way. He asked me all basic java questions - threading, synchronization etc. His english was not very clear. So, at times it was hard to grasp what he was asking. I had to ask him to repeat the questions couple of times. But overall the interview was ok.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at 8x8 (San Jose, CA) in September 2014.

Interview

Applied through college/university. HR called after resume screening and scheduled onsite coding and first round personal interview. Was called back for a second round interview with 3 people on the engineering team. Many technical questions including some white-board coding.

Interview Questions

• 1. Coding interview involved java multi-threading
      2. First round had questions on basics of java, javascript, db
      3. Second round interviews had more questions on data structures, algorithms, html, css, javascript and DB design.

Answer Question

Java Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at 8x8 in June 2014.

Interview

I applied to this company through Linked and I got a call from the HR for telephonic interview.
    After telephonic interview was cleared I was called for f2f interview which had 5 to 6 rounds.
    HR was quick in giving the feedback and processing the offer.

Interview Questions

• Was asked to code 2 problems which were difficult to solve within the given time.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at 8x8 (San Jose, CA) in May 2014.

Interview

Attended their onsite interview. Was given 3 programming questions, an hour to crack them.
    1. Implement an LRU cache
    2. Implement BST traversal and search for a given node. If exists, print path to that node
    3. Producer Consumer problem

Once done with the coding, was asked to mail them to the HR. This round was immediately followed by face to face interview with one of the engineers. Questions were mostly about Java
    - Difference between abstract class and interface
    - How does a heap work
    - How to implement connection pool etc

Interview Questions

• I answered all questions, the interviewer seemed happy. But got a rejection letter after a couple of days. No reason given. I think their system is to eliminate good engineers and keep the average/mediocre ones.   Answer Question