99 Cents Only

Relevance Date Difficulty

District Manager Interview

District Manager
Long Beach, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 days - interviewed at 99 Cents Only.

Interview Details – I was called by a recruiter and had a great 30 minute screening and conversation. I was then scheduled for an interview with the Regional Director and Human Resources Manager. I arrived 15 minutes early for the interview and let an employee know that I was there to meet with the Regional Director. About 20 minutes later the HR Manager came looking for me and asked if I had a resume because they couldn't find one. I then gave him two copies and he said he would be with me shortly. After another 15 minutes, the HR Manager again came out and said they were ready. They asked me one question about why I left my previous company and proceeded to ask several follow ups about that, which was fine. The RD then asked the HR Manager if he had any questions and he asked one question and then they asked me if I had any questions for them. The RD also threw in there, that their District Managers are required to work 6 days a week. The interview was over in 11 minutes. It was the most disrespectful waste of my time ever. I strongly believe that as an RD or HR Manager, you are the face of the Company and are representing them. I am a potential customer that lives in the area and you should always treat people with dignity and respect. Because of the way that I was treated, I would not want to work for a company that treats people this way.

Interview Question – No difficult questions. Very few questions asked and none that allowed them to learn about me and my experiences.   Answer Question

Cashier/Stocker Interview

Cashier/Stocker
Garden Grove, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at 99 Cents Only in January 2010.

Interview Details – Fill out a paper application and answer a few boiler plate questions during the interview process. The interview process is a joke. They look at your application and ask the standard questions. They have so much turn over that they are just looking for bodies.

Negotiation Details – None! $8.05 per hour. Up to a $.50 raise per hour after 99 days.

Cashier Interview

Cashier
Palmdale, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 3 days - interviewed at 99 Cents Only in July 2012.

Interview Details – You go in to give your application to a manager (although the manager never wants to receive it and always asks a cashier to receive it instead) but if you get lucky then you'll get a call back.
The interview is extremely easy, they only ask your available hours, how you would handle customer service issues.

Interview Question – The only difficult question was how you would handle a customer service issue, which is still fairly easy   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Software Developer
Katy, TX

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at 99 Cents Only in September 2010.

Interview Details – very easy, smooth and professional people. Interview was easy.
First recruiter called and got a phone interview set up with manager.
The phone interview was good, asked questions like projects done etc.
After phone interview, one to one inteview with three people, tech lead, manger and director.

Interview Question – All the questions were relevant to the job title.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Did not negotiate much.

Store Manager Interview

Store Manager
Los Angeles, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at 99 Cents Only in March 2014.

Interview Details – Process consisted of 3 interviews after I was contacted by the recruiter. First was phone interview, then interview with District Manager, then with Area & District Manager. All were fairly informal, no real challenging questions were asked. Tell me about yourself, resume, etc.

Interview Question – No difficult or unexpected questions..   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate a higher salary because of my retail experience and previous grocery store management.

Supervisor Interview

Supervisor
Clovis, CA

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at 99 Cents Only.

Interview Details – whole thing took way to long for entry level position. I interviewed with the store manager for about an hour.

Interview Question – Nothing out of the ordinary. When can you start.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – none

Employee Interview

Employee
Clovis, CA

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at 99 Cents Only.

Interview Details – Very simple...filled out a paper( yes paper application) received a call the following day. The interview lasted an hour. In my opinion too long for an entry level job, but I was in need of a job.

Interview Question – when can you start? seriously....the questions were simple.....   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – there was none....it was simple at 8, the standard minimum wage

Safety Director Interview

Safety Director
Commerce, CA

I applied online and the process took 5 months - interviewed at 99 Cents Only in April 2013.

Interview Details – Process starts with phone screen which is standard, then a interview a couple of days later with the Risk Manager, then they wait a long time for them to call you back, you have to stay on top of them, not very diligent at returning either phone calls or emails, then in person interview and even more interviews. Not worth the time as they are very disorganized.

Interview Question – None, they are very standard   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – They could not give concrete answers on salary, job description, benefits, per diem etc

Sales Associate Interview

Sales Associate
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 3 days - interviewed at 99 Cents Only in June 2013.

Interview Details – Hiring process was easy I downloaded their application from their site. I filed out. I notice they had an ad on the front of the business and had interview times. I went for the interview dressed casual. You have to sign in and give them your application and they will call you by their list. It was my first job interview. Everything went well but when he say that I had no previous job experience. The interviewee said that it was going to be an issue. They ask me about my career or what I am majoring it not retail or business related. Although I told him I wanted to get experience in retail and I enjoy working with customers and I had listed some of my skills. The interviewee told me that he would talk to his supervisor and he would give me a call. Obviously I knew I did not get the job. The interviewee was kind of a jerk and arrogant. I mean really for a low wage job.

Interview Question – They ask me about my career or what I am majoring? How its related to why you want to work here.   View Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Sales Associate
Montclair, CA

I applied in-person - interviewed at 99 Cents Only in January 2010.

Interview Details – The interview was really easy. It was quick and wa not very formal.

Interview Question – Tell me about yourself, why do you want to work here?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I had other interviews who paid more.

Worked for 99 Cents Only? Contribute to the Community!