99 Cents Only

9 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Supervisor Interview

Clovis, CA

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at 99 Cents Only.

Interview Details – whole thing took way to long for entry level position. I interviewed with the store manager for about an hour.

Interview Question – Nothing out of the ordinary. When can you start.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – none

Employee Interview

Clovis, CA

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at 99 Cents Only.

Interview Details – Very simple...filled out a paper( yes paper application) received a call the following day. The interview lasted an hour. In my opinion too long for an entry level job, but I was in need of a job.

Interview Question – when can you start? seriously....the questions were simple.....   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – there was none....it was simple at 8, the standard minimum wage

Safety Director Interview

Commerce, CA

I applied online and the process took 5 months - interviewed at 99 Cents Only in April 2013.

Interview Details – Process starts with phone screen which is standard, then a interview a couple of days later with the Risk Manager, then they wait a long time for them to call you back, you have to stay on top of them, not very diligent at returning either phone calls or emails, then in person interview and even more interviews. Not worth the time as they are very disorganized.

Interview Question – None, they are very standard   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – They could not give concrete answers on salary, job description, benefits, per diem etc

Sales Associate Interview

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 3 days - interviewed at 99 Cents Only in June 2013.

Interview Details – Hiring process was easy I downloaded their application from their site. I filed out. I notice they had an ad on the front of the business and had interview times. I went for the interview dressed casual. You have to sign in and give them your application and they will call you by their list. It was my first job interview. Everything went well but when he say that I had no previous job experience. The interviewee said that it was going to be an issue. They ask me about my career or what I am majoring it not retail or business related. Although I told him I wanted to get experience in retail and I enjoy working with customers and I had listed some of my skills. The interviewee told me that he would talk to his supervisor and he would give me a call. Obviously I knew I did not get the job. The interviewee was kind of a jerk and arrogant. I mean really for a low wage job.

Interview Question – They ask me about my career or what I am majoring? How its related to why you want to work here.   View Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Montclair, CA

I applied in-person - interviewed at 99 Cents Only in January 2010.

Interview Details – The interview was really easy. It was quick and wa not very formal.

Interview Question – Tell me about yourself, why do you want to work here?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I had other interviews who paid more.

Recruiter Interview

Commerce, CA

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at 99 Cents Only in March 2012.

Interview Details – The person I interviewed with was . . . not very professional. I just never got a good feeling, of interviewing at a professional place. First, they're located in a residential part of a 'not so good' part of town in East LA. That's even okay, I never fear for my safety since I would always be working indoors, but the guy just never made me feel comfortable, and I could tell I would not enjoy working there.

Interview Question – Tell me about yourself   View Answer

Assistant Buyer Interview

Commerce, CA

The process took a day - interviewed at 99 Cents Only in April 2012.

Interview Details – I applied for the position about a month before I received a call. The buyer left me a message, I called her back about 2 minutes after and no answer, left a message. Called again later in the day, was handed to someone else who told me she was busy and to call the next day at 5pm for a phone interview. I called at 5pm on the dot and no answer. I called 5 minutes later and she was busy. Did not call back until about 6:30pm.

When we did talk, it was a pretty easy conversation. She asked me a lot of questions about my personal shopping experiences at the store like what did I buy and how much did things cost. Talked about my background and what they are looking for. Was told another buyer would call on Monday and it is now Wednesday with no call.

Interview Question – Asked a lot of questions about shopping at their stores.   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

Cashier

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at 99 Cents Only.

Interview Details – I literally walked in and got a paper that said I was hired. I was scheduled for orientation a week later.

Interview Question – "Can you show up to work?"   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at 99 Cents Only in March 2007.

Interview Details – interview was the easiest ever , took only 10 minutes. i dont think they care who they hire as long there is a body. drugtesting and a non paid orientation are required.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – no negotiation whatsoever

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for 99 Cents Only? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at 99 Cents Only interview questions and advice. All 9 interview reviews posted anonymously by 99 Cents Only employees and interview candidates.