99 Cents Only

Relevance Date Difficulty

Cashier/Stocker Interview

Cashier/Stocker
Garden Grove, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at 99 Cents Only in January 2010.

Interview Details – Fill out a paper application and answer a few boiler plate questions during the interview process. The interview process is a joke. They look at your application and ask the standard questions. They have so much turn over that they are just looking for bodies.

Negotiation Details – None! $8.05 per hour. Up to a $.50 raise per hour after 99 days.

Cashier Interview

Cashier
Palmdale, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 3 days - interviewed at 99 Cents Only in July 2012.

Interview Details – You go in to give your application to a manager (although the manager never wants to receive it and always asks a cashier to receive it instead) but if you get lucky then you'll get a call back.
The interview is extremely easy, they only ask your available hours, how you would handle customer service issues.

Interview Question – The only difficult question was how you would handle a customer service issue, which is still fairly easy   Answer Question

Store Manager Interview

Store Manager
Los Angeles, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at 99 Cents Only in March 2014.

Interview Details – Process consisted of 3 interviews after I was contacted by the recruiter. First was phone interview, then interview with District Manager, then with Area & District Manager. All were fairly informal, no real challenging questions were asked. Tell me about yourself, resume, etc.

Interview Question – No difficult or unexpected questions..   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate a higher salary because of my retail experience and previous grocery store management.

Safety Director Interview

Safety Director
Commerce, CA

I applied online and the process took 5 months - interviewed at 99 Cents Only in April 2013.

Interview Details – Process starts with phone screen which is standard, then a interview a couple of days later with the Risk Manager, then they wait a long time for them to call you back, you have to stay on top of them, not very diligent at returning either phone calls or emails, then in person interview and even more interviews. Not worth the time as they are very disorganized.

Interview Question – None, they are very standard   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – They could not give concrete answers on salary, job description, benefits, per diem etc

Recruiter Interview

Recruiter
Commerce, CA

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at 99 Cents Only in March 2012.

Interview Details – The person I interviewed with was . . . not very professional. I just never got a good feeling, of interviewing at a professional place. First, they're located in a residential part of a 'not so good' part of town in East LA. That's even okay, I never fear for my safety since I would always be working indoors, but the guy just never made me feel comfortable, and I could tell I would not enjoy working there.

Interview Question – Tell me about yourself   View Answer

Assistant Buyer Interview

Assistant Buyer
Commerce, CA

The process took a day - interviewed at 99 Cents Only in April 2012.

Interview Details – I applied for the position about a month before I received a call. The buyer left me a message, I called her back about 2 minutes after and no answer, left a message. Called again later in the day, was handed to someone else who told me she was busy and to call the next day at 5pm for a phone interview. I called at 5pm on the dot and no answer. I called 5 minutes later and she was busy. Did not call back until about 6:30pm.

When we did talk, it was a pretty easy conversation. She asked me a lot of questions about my personal shopping experiences at the store like what did I buy and how much did things cost. Talked about my background and what they are looking for. Was told another buyer would call on Monday and it is now Wednesday with no call.

Interview Question – Asked a lot of questions about shopping at their stores.   Answer Question

Worked for 99 Cents Only? Contribute to the Community!