99 Cents Only Interview Questions in Los Angeles, CA

Updated May 25, 2015

1.8

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in Whittier, CA

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at 99 Cents Only (Whittier, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

Printed and turned in application same day. The lead who I turned it , loved my work. She said the manager is on her lunch, and will call you latter today. That never happened. It's been four months.

District Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Long Beach, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at 99 Cents Only (Long Beach, CA).

Interview

I was called by a recruiter and had a great 30 minute screening and conversation. I was then scheduled for an interview with the Regional Director and Human Resources Manager. I arrived 15 minutes early for the interview and let an employee know that I was there to meet with the Regional Director. About 20 minutes later the HR Manager came looking for me and asked if I had a resume because they couldn't find one. I then gave him two copies and he said he would be with me shortly. After another 15 minutes, the HR Manager again came out and said they were ready. They asked me one question about why I left my previous company and proceeded to ask several follow ups about that, which was fine. The RD then asked the HR Manager if he had any questions and he asked one question and then they asked me if I had any questions for them. The RD also threw in there, that their District Managers are required to work 6 days a week. The interview was over in 11 minutes. It was the most disrespectful waste of my time ever. I strongly believe that as an RD or HR Manager, you are the face of the Company and are representing them. I am a potential customer that lives in the area and you should always treat people with dignity and respect. Because of the way that I was treated, I would not want to work for a company that treats people this way.

Interview Questions

• No difficult questions. Very few questions asked and none that allowed them to learn about me and my experiences.   Answer Question

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at 99 Cents Only (Los Angeles, CA) in March 2014.

Interview

Process consisted of 3 interviews after I was contacted by the recruiter. First was phone interview, then interview with District Manager, then with Area & District Manager. All were fairly informal, no real challenging questions were asked. Tell me about yourself, resume, etc.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate a higher salary because of my retail experience and previous grocery store management.

Safety Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Commerce, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at 99 Cents Only (Commerce, CA) in April 2013.

Interview

Process starts with phone screen which is standard, then a interview a couple of days later with the Risk Manager, then they wait a long time for them to call you back, you have to stay on top of them, not very diligent at returning either phone calls or emails, then in person interview and even more interviews. Not worth the time as they are very disorganized.

Interview Questions

They could not give concrete answers on salary, job description, benefits, per diem etc

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palmdale, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at 99 Cents Only (Palmdale, CA) in July 2012.

Interview

You go in to give your application to a manager (although the manager never wants to receive it and always asks a cashier to receive it instead) but if you get lucky then you'll get a call back. The interview is extremely easy, they only ask your available hours, how you would handle customer service issues.

Interview Questions

• The only difficult question was how you would handle a customer service issue, which is still fairly easy   Answer Question

Assistant Buyer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Commerce, CA

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at 99 Cents Only (Commerce, CA) in April 2012.

Interview

I applied for the position about a month before I received a call. The buyer left me a message, I called her back about 2 minutes after and no answer, left a message. Called again later in the day, was handed to someone else who told me she was busy and to call the next day at 5pm for a phone interview. I called at 5pm on the dot and no answer. I called 5 minutes later and she was busy. Did not call back until about 6:30pm. When we did talk, it was a pretty easy conversation. She asked me a lot of questions about my personal shopping experiences at the store like what did I buy and how much did things cost. Talked about my background and what they are looking for. Was told another buyer would call on Monday and it is now Wednesday with no call.

Interview Questions

• Asked a lot of questions about shopping at their stores.   Answer Question

Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Employee in Commerce, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at 99 Cents Only (Commerce, CA) in March 2012.

Interview

The person I interviewed with was . . . not very professional. I just never got a good feeling, of interviewing at a professional place. First, they're located in a residential part of a 'not so good' part of town in East LA. That's even okay, I never fear for my safety since I would always be working indoors, but the guy just never made me feel comfortable, and I could tell I would not enjoy working there.

Cashier/Stocker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Garden Grove, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at 99 Cents Only (Garden Grove, CA) in January 2010.

Interview

Fill out a paper application and answer a few boiler plate questions during the interview process. The interview process is a joke. They look at your application and ask the standard questions. They have so much turn over that they are just looking for bodies.

Negotiation

None! $8.05 per hour. Up to a $.50 raise per hour after 99 days.