Aéropostale

Updated Aug 29, 2014

2.5

16 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Assistant Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Aéropostale in July 2013.

I put my best foot forward and went there letting them know who i am and what i have done. I remained humble and grateful for the opportunity. I made sure ibasked questions i would be unsure of and pressed on topics that seemed beneficial for the role.

Interview Questions
  • There wasbno question asked that was unexpected or difficult.   Answer Question
Very smooth...pleased and satisfaction

Other Interview Reviews for Aéropostale

Assistant Manager Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Aéropostale.

Went well, was asked typical questions about the company considering this was an interviewfor a promotion

Interview Questions
    • Was asked if I considered to be fashionable and can merchandise... after I answered, the DMIT (now the DM) laughed in my face in front of the SM and the current DM. Extremely uncomfortable and unprofessional.   View Answer
    The SM and the older DM loved me, so my promotion was not based on his shallow opinion of me. I was told I got the promotion, told the pay raise, and that was it

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Aéropostale in March 2012.

Was recruited from another company. Interviewed with Store Manager, District Manager, and Regional Manager.

Interview Questions
    • Was asked Why at my previous employment, it seems as if the aesthetic and standard had changed recently and why I though it successful/ not successful.   View Answer
    Offer, negotiations, and acceptance were all done via phone. Simpler due to the fact the the DM is not based out of my current city and I maintained full time status with my previous employer throughout the negotiation.

Assistant Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Aéropostale in March 2007.

For all management positions with this company, you will have at least three interviews. Your first two interviews will be with other Store Managers as a part of the "weeding out" process. During these interviews, they generally try to get a feel for who you are as a person, and how your current experience might relate to a career at Aero. These first interviews are fairly informal and friendly, as the interviewer is trying to see if you will fit in with the company culture. You will mostly be asked about how you service customers, how you feel about various fashion trends, etc. You will be judged on how well you can relate to their customers and employees. It is also worth mentioning that image plays a huge part in deciding whether or not you will get the job, so be sure to wear some Aero to the interview. If you don't own any of their clothing, wear something similar in style. Be sure you are very clean cut looking and "preppy casual".
         During the final interview, you will sit face to face with the District Manager, and this will be intense. Although the tone is still friendly, there will be a lot of "probing" questions. Expect to be asked how you reacted in tough situations (loss prevention, disciplinary, etc.) and what you could do differently next time. Also, be prepared with numbers to back your results. If you stated on your resume that you brought an underperforming store back form the dead, you'd better have at least a 5 minute speech prepared about how you did it. Every answer you give will have at least one follow up question. Aero DMs are trained to be very skilled at interviewing and will call you bluff if you fluff any of your answers. Just go into the interview very prepared with exactly what you want to discuss. Feel free to bring notes with you, and to take notes during the interview as well, as this will be seen as impressive.

Interview Questions
    • What celebrity do you think would wear Aero and Why?   View Answer
    • What would you change about upper management with your current employer?   View Answer
    Aero will ask during your final interview what you current salary is and what your expectation is. You will receive a flat, "take it or leave it" offer, but they will aim to beat your current salary by about 5-6%. Don't try to cushion your current salary, as they do verify it through a retail screening service.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Aéropostale in August 2009.

The interview was simple. We just had a conversation

there was noon negotiati

Assistant Manager Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Aéropostale in September 2009.

I had a phone interview, another interview with the dm and a store manager and another interview with another store manager, before i was finally hired. It took about three weeks for them to offer the position. That seems to be normal

Interview Questions
    • The dm had me role play with the store manager that was interviewing me while he watched, on coaching employees   View Answer
    They offered me what i wanted, no negotiating

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tucson, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tucson, AZ

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Aéropostale in August 2010.

I was recruited by the store manager,which is where the interview process normally begins, so I skipped that interview and went straight to a one on one interview with th District Manager. I had been out of the field for several years, so the main concern was why I wantedbto get back in, and my commitment level. The next step was a phone interview with the Regional Manager. I was prepped for an intense drill session, but it turned out to be more of a "get to know you" conversation.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to come back to retail management after all this time away?   Answer Question
    I told the DM straight out what I needed to make to leave my last job. She came in $2k low, but the benefit package is amazing, and it't not straight salary, so anything over 40 hrs a week I get half my hourly rate. All things considered, I make more than I requested, and received a raise at my 6 month review.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Aéropostale in May 2012.

I worked at the store in high school, I decided to pursue retail management after school so I contacted my former district manager to refer me to the district manager in my area. I was then contacted by this DM and we had a quick phone interview, then I was invited for a in person interview with the DM. Because this is one of the company's high potential stores with past staffing issues, I had a second interview with the Regional Manager. I was then called by the DM with an offer. Total process took less than 2 weeks from original phone interview.

Interview Questions
    • This store has been struggling, what will you do to get the store to reach the potential we believe it has?   Answer Question
    We discussed money in the second in person interview, I told them my anticipated salary they then gave me slightly more than that number.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Aéropostale.

I met with the District Manager for one interview. We met at the mall and talked for about an hour, while she asked the usual work experience questions. It was a laid back interview in terms of the environment of where we met and that I didn't feel the need to wear a business suit, but the questions were serious like, "tell me about your retail experience, tell me about a time you had to reprimand someone, tell me about your strengths and weaknesses as a manager," etc. They also asked if I had any questions and they were informative with their answers.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to leave your current job? Why retail?   Answer Question
    There wasn't much of a negotiation to be done. I was offered what I was getting at my previous job, but salaries are based on which store you will be located at and how much experience you have.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Aéropostale in August 2014.

There are 2 interviews- one with the store manager and one with the district manager. Definitely wear walking shoes, as it is not your typical interview. You are asked to point out improvements to other stores display windows (they need to clean the windows, tuck the tags, they have a display light, etc.)

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time where the visual direction did not fit your store and you had to make changes.   Answer Question
    • Tell me how you make a connection with your customers   Answer Question
    I didn't negotiate because it was already a significant raise from my job at the time.