A&P

13 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Warehouse Clerk Interview

Edison, NJ

I applied online - interviewed at A&P in February 2012.

Interview Details – Had to wait one hour for my interview because the interviewer was in a meeting. Interview lasted less than five minutes, with interviewer talking on the phone through most of the interview. Had to pass a drug screen. Waited forever to hear from company about the start date, because person responsible for telling me had a few days off. Went to work the first day only to find out that I was getting a different job than the one I applied for. Same thing happened to the guy who interviewed immediately after me.

Interview Question – There weren't many questions other than whether I knew how to use Excel.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiating. All clerks get $12.00/hour with no possibility of a raise.

Yonkers, NY

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at A&P in October 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online and received a call within a week. Went in early and was greeted my another man. It turns out the manager was in a meeting. After the interview I was told I got the job and had a background check. When the check came up clean I had to go online and fill out forms.

Interview Question – They only asked me my availability and since I worked at a store just like this one the questions were easy.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negation phase it was minimum wage since they are in bankruptcy.

Cashier

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at A&P in September 2013.

Interview Details – Interview was super easy. The manager just basically called me up to schedule an interview and during the interview just basically told me what I needed to do for the position. I got hired on the spot and then it went from there. The working paper process was done online.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Human Resources Coordinator/Recruiter Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at A&P in October 2013.

Interview Details – I applied through and Ad on Craigslist. I got a call about two weeks later asking me what my salary requirements were. Then was hung up on. A hour later was called in for an interview.
The interview process was fairly easy. The initial screener seemed distracted but he eventually opened up and we had a great conversation. Then I met with the VP of Human Resources, he was very receptive of me. Then I met with the rest of the HR team. They constantly asked me what my passion was. They were very nice in explaining why they needed me and what they would like to do in the future. This left me feeling great about the interview. I week later, I received an email letting me know that the "Function has collapsed into another function".

Really? Waste of time.

Interview Question – What is your passion.   Answer Question

Brewster, NY

I applied online - interviewed at A&P in April 2013.

Interview Details – Interview only lasted about twenty minutes. I was only asked availability. It was explained to me that the Company was recovering from bankruptcy and when they are able to pay more, they will do so. I was also told, full time was not available because of the Obama Health Care Act.

Interview Question – Availability was the only question asked.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Pay range for position was $6.75 to $7.50. I was told $7.50 would be submitted as an offer and I would be notified on the Website as to accept or decline offer.

Hoboken, NJ

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 days - interviewed at A&P in April 2012.

Interview Details – It was very straight forward, I asked to fill out an application at the store then a few days later received a call from the hiring manager. I was asked to come in for an interview. The interview went smoothly, I was asked many of the common questions such as, where do I see my self in 5 years and what my weaknesses are. The whole interview was approximately 30 minutes.

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself in 5 years.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Found another job.

Fruit Cutter/Produce Clerk Interview

Marlboro, NJ

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at A&P in July 2013.

Interview Details – Store Manager set up interview date, time. Met with him and he offered me the job. Simple interview, rudimentary questions asked. Nothing too detailed; they just want to know if you can perform the job and have interest in what you're applying for with desire to move up rank.

Interview Question – Why are you interested in the floral department?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – He said, "I can only offer you about 28-30 hours and $7.50 to start, which is base pay."

Department Manager Interview

Department Manager
Jersey City, NJ

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at A&P in June 2009.

Interview Details – Was promoted from within, does not apply.

Interview Question – Was promoted from within does not apply   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, the union dictates the salary

Grand Forks, ND

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at A&P in January 2008.

Interview Details – i mesesed up

Interview Questions

Accounting Manager Interview

Montvale, NJ

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at A&P in December 2010.

Interview Details – The interview process went fairly quickly as the position had been open for a while it seemed. Initally I had a phone interview with HR and the hiring VP to see if what they were offering what was I was looking for and/or qualified for. They got me scheduled for an in-person interview right away after that. I met with HR, the hiring VP and the CFO. The interviews were fairly painless. They asked me basic questions about my experience with the job responsibilities. The CFO gave me a lot of background about the company and offered me some sort of comfort level since the company was going through bankruptcy. After the interviews my recruiter went back and forth a few times working on an offer that I ultimately declined. They were fairly flexible in meeting my requests.

Interview Question – Did I have any experience working with a company going through bankruptcy before and what were my thoughts on it.   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for A&P? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at A&P interview questions and advice. All 13 interview reviews posted anonymously by A&P employees and interview candidates.