Clark Construction Group

www.clarkconstruction.com
  www.clarkconstruction.com

Interview Question

Office Engineer Interview(Student Candidate) Costa Mesa, CA

A penguin walks through that door right now wearing a

sombrero. What does he say and why is he here?
Answer

Interview Answer

66 Answers

I was obviously thrown off by the question and felt it was irrelevant. I answered with, "Where's the sun screen?"

Interview Candidate on May 7, 2012

Complaining about global warming.?!

Mil on Jan 14, 2013

Here's a useful answer: The use of the term Sombrero implies a particular ethnicity or nationality therefore to answer the question might violate HR compliance with federal and state law.

PK on Jan 17, 2013

He wouldn't say anything. He is a penguin. Probably there because he's a party favor that got loose and waddled in. It is also awesome.

DTB on Jan 17, 2013

@PK - not necessarily. Did you ever witness a deboarding of a plane from Cancun or any other vacation destination during spring break? There are quite a few college kids, who I'm sure continued their party on the plane, getting off wearing those gaudy souvenir sombreros. You would actually implicate yourself by assuming that.

ken on Jan 17, 2013

Did your secretary slip something into my coffee?

Jay on Jan 17, 2013

i guess I dont speak penguin to really understand what it said.

Drj on Jan 17, 2013

"Am I South of the Border yet?" The penguin was obviously travelling back home to the South Pole and, thinking he already reached Mexico, wore the sombrero to blend in.

James P Regan, CPA MIS on Jan 17, 2013

He's a Linux consultant (either Mexican or returning from a Mexican vacation) and is going to ask for directions and access to the server rooms so he can get to work.

Jack on Jan 17, 2013

Necesito un poco de hielo por favor

Tim on Jan 17, 2013

Hi, my name is Tux and I'm here to take over your IT department.

Joe on Jan 17, 2013

I live in New York, so I probably wouldn't see any issue here.

pat on Jan 17, 2013

Buenos Dios amigos. Do you have any ice?

robert on Jan 17, 2013

The penguin says "Stop asking stupid interview questions"

Ben on Jan 17, 2013

"Those seals really know how to party!"

Ha on Jan 17, 2013

He says: Most people will not answer both questions. And he is here because you brought him with your imagination, please take him back to his home and lets start the real interview.

ektormelendez on Jan 17, 2013

I'll be back :-)

Minerva on Jan 17, 2013

Salsa really doesn't go well with herring.

yuli on Jan 17, 2013

He asked
"is it 5'oclock yet?". He is here because he's the company's mascot and has been specially trained to make frozen margaritas in the walk-in freezer.

Anonymous on Jan 17, 2013

"Perdone, ¿dónde está el baño?"

J. Acklin on Jan 17, 2013

I assume he is there to steal my Bud Ice, and probably is singing "Do-be do-be do". The sombrero is irrelevant.

Allison on Jan 17, 2013

He says, "I'm here to do the cha cha, and I'm here to take your money." If a fantasy-type question is asked, I'm allowed a fantasy-type answer, correct?

Shane on Jan 17, 2013

Business on bottom (tux) and all party on top.

Tom on Jan 17, 2013

I would ask the interviewer: "An African or European penguin?"

JS on Jan 18, 2013

"Got Ice"

Gary on Jan 18, 2013

"Hola!" He is a lost and stranded sound engineer for a Def Leppard reunion tour looking for an inexpensive Sony multichannel digital tape recorder.

jwo on Jan 18, 2013

This post has been removed.
Please see our Community Guidelines or Terms of Service for more information.

"Excuse me — I was told the dress was business casual. Anyway, I'm here to tell you about the great benefits package we offer."

jake3_14 on Jan 18, 2013

I need help. Please take this sombrero out of my head and recycle it.

Mariana on Jan 19, 2013

So, you don't do drug testing here, huh?

KMR on Jan 19, 2013

"Trick or Treat"

Me on Jan 20, 2013

Location must be at the tip of Argentina or Chile, unless the penguin got stuck on a floating iceberg in which case he could be coming ashore nearly anyplace. Theoretically.

EdHP on Jan 21, 2013

Penguins don't talk, but his or her body language communicates confidence in this company. I'd guess the costumed penguin is here for some promotion... speaking of promotions...

Charles.. .. on Jan 22, 2013

He would ask "Wha-a-at a-are yo-o-u smo-o-oking?" ;)

Igor on Jan 22, 2013

it's me the thing you have feared all your life... this is not a dream I am real

Jean d'Arc on Jan 22, 2013

How is my outfit ?

Jyothsna on Jan 22, 2013

In the 3rd answer, PK indicated that " the question might violate HR compliance with federal and state law." I don't know about that, but it got me thinking about the motivation for the question - and here's my guess. It is quite possible that they are asking the question to find out if you might stereotype Mexicans - and stereotyping probably means that you are prejudiced - which in turn - means that you will not likely work well on a construction job site.

Dennis on Jan 22, 2013

"I knew I should have made that left turn at Albequerque!"

Brad on Jan 22, 2013

He's obviously flown in from Mexico for the job interview. "I hear you are an equal opportunity employer?" he says delightedly, "I'm not so good with heights but I make wonderful margueritas"

Trudy on Jan 22, 2013

Penguin: "Holy crap! Vegas is amazing! Hookers, gambling, drinking games AND job interviews!"

Alex Marshall on Jan 22, 2013

If the penguin is walking into the room where the interview is taking place one could assume he was the CEO if he has the audacity to wear a sombrero. Therefore, I imagine he would say upon seeing my smiling face, "Hire this man immediately and double - no, triple his salary!

Jim B. on Jan 23, 2013

Well, this the last time I'll use the Apple Maps program . . .

Susan on Jan 23, 2013

There is an upside even in global warming: margaritas y chiquitas. Hola!

Paul Tudor Oprea on Jan 23, 2013

What does he say? "does this suit make my hat look too big?"
Why is he here? "he desired some constructive criticism"

KS in NYC on Jan 23, 2013

Buenos dias. I need to build an Igloo. Am I in the right place?

sanoj on Jan 23, 2013

He (the penguin) indicates that I've fallen asleep and I'm having a strange dream in which I'm being asked stupid interview questions by a pretentious HR person who is trying to look clever.

Jon Mark on Jan 24, 2013

Clark Construction can you build me an insulated igloo with air conditioning. I just moved to Mexico and it is too damned hot.

bware on Jan 24, 2013

Having put 12 years in a Catholic School, I was surrounded by Penguin's on a daily basis. Our Spanish teacher was the only one who would have worn a sombrero, but I don't think that she was a he/she.
Classmate Sue, on the other hand, could get me to salute on a daily basis. If she walked in wearing a sombrero and holding a pinata, I would salute that too.

Humor and Reality. Feed the interviewer something like this, and you could be a Supervisor. Just say it with a straight face.

Raven on Jan 24, 2013

oops, i entered into a wrong room.
you can carry on.

sam on Jan 24, 2013

Good evening, I am here to keep forward with the interview, are you ready? By the way you will need a sombrero.

Sandy on Jan 24, 2013

penguin said that outside temperatures are high and so that he was here in the room which had air condition.

naveen varada on Jan 24, 2013

Penguin says: The Batman is annoying
*Batman saves the world from being penguin-ated*

sid on Jan 25, 2013

"You know, if you wanted your candidate to wear a tux, there are far cheaper ways of getting the point across."

jason on Jan 25, 2013

Adios! See you next week when I'm back from vacation in Mexico.

Anonymous on Jan 25, 2013

"i quit"

Anonymous on Jan 26, 2013

Does it really matters??????
Whatever the penguin says, we are not going to understand a bit.

Swati on Jan 26, 2013

"Kill me"

Evan on Jan 26, 2013

penguin doesnt speak

neha j on Jan 27, 2013

You're hired.

Vic on Jan 30, 2013

penguin wants to be the first to congratulate me on my selection

shoaib on Feb 2, 2013

"Is this club pinguin ? how do I get back".... clubpenguin.com

Dani Din on Feb 5, 2013

I don't friggin care what the penguin says. I just found a talking penguin. I'm rich!

R Pilli on Feb 7, 2013

"Someone here drank WAY too much last night"

Mr Hallucination on Mar 3, 2013

oh, sorry to bother you, do you know where i can find the mexican themed black-tie event that's going on somewhere around here?

sean on Mar 4, 2013

The penguin says: "Hey, have any of you guys seen my brother?"
Then I say: "I don't know - what's he look like?"

Mongo only pawn on Oct 2, 2013

"Hola, soy Nieves. Necesito regresar al Polo Sur. Puedes ayudame?"

Toni on May 29, 2014