A9.com

25 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Development Intern Interview

Palo Alto, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at A9.com in February 2014.

Interview Details – Submitted resume through school career portal and was contacted for an interview on-campus. Interview consisted of discussion of my resume, a coding question on paper, and finally time for questions. Was contacted about a month later for a phone interview with an engineer from a specific team. Interview format was very similar to the in-person one, only the coding question was done on a collaborative text editor.

Interview Question – Question involving reading from a file using a read() function that can only account for a limited number of bytes per call; question involving parsing the contacts in a user's address book and organizing the contacts according to a specific metric.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Didn't bother negotiating as the offer was quite generous

Software Development Engineer - Search Analytics Interview

Palo Alto, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at A9.com in March 2014.

Interview Details – The process starts with 1-2 phone interviews followed by a full-day onsite interview. I wasn't able to get through the phone interview because I wasn't able to answer the questions properly.

Interview Question – Given an array of integers, find the largest possible number you can make from all the integers combined.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Intern Interview

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at A9.com in February 2014.

Interview Details – Went to a talk and dropped my resume off. Called that night to schedule for a 30-minute on-campus interview. The engineer asked me about things he saw on my resume and then we did a coding exercise. Then offered to answer any questions I had for him.

Interview Question – Assume that the read file function does not exist but instead we have a function that given an input size in bytes with a maximum byte constraint and moves the cursor. If the number of bytes exceeds the file size, contents up to the end are returned and if the cursor is at the end of the file an empty string is returned. Write a new file read function using the helper function.

Also, asked for the complexity of the function.
  Answer Question

Marketing Manager Interview

Palo Alto, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at A9.com in October 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online through A9's website. Received an email from a recruiter a couple of days later asking to schedule a phone interview with the hiring manager. Spoke with the hiring manager about a week after I initially applied for about 30 minutes over the phone. That conversation went well, and so I was invited to come down to Palo Alto for an afternoon of on-site interviews.

The on-site process was fairly straight forward. Spent about a half day at A9's offices and spoke with four people, including the hiring manager, for an hour each. Questions were fairly "fit-based"... things like "tell me how this specific experience on your resume relates to this part of the the role" and "what are some new channels that you might explore to increase user publisher acquisition?" There were also a few questions about ad metrics (CPA, CPC, etc.) but since I'm in the industry, I didn't find those exceptionally difficult or surprising. Ultimately they told me that they decided to hire someone with "more experience." I suppose I just wasn't the right fit.

Interview Question – Something along the lines of "Can you give me an example of how total CTR could increase while the average CTR decreases for two campaigns?"   View Answer

Data Scientist Interview

San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at A9.com.

Interview Details – The hiring manager contacted me through my linked in profile. The manager was an alum from my school. There were 3 rounds:
1) Initial phone conversation - SQL / Python coding. Some machine learning stuff
2) Round 1 office visit - Met various teams, technical interviews. Problem solving skills
3) Round 2 office visit - Met senior people. More high level discussions. Also had a behavioral interview

Interview Question – How do you model, a very low probability event   Answer Question

Software Engineer Intern Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at A9.com.

Interview Details – I got feedback from career fair at my school, and then the recruiter setup an one-to-one interview with an A9 engineer. The questions are pretty straight forward, about tree search and traversal. Review your algorithm class materials should get you an onsite.

Interview Question – Nothing difficult. But I saw other reviews saying that A9 focus a lot on tree search. So be prepare for such questions.   Answer Question

Technical Program Manager Interview

Palo Alto, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at A9.com in July 2013.

Interview Details – Initial phone conversation with HR followed by 2 onsite interviews. Feedback was timely and the process was relatively quick.

Interview Question – Unfortunately questions cannot be disclosed due to NDA disclosure agreement. General Program/Project related questions, situation based questions. Technical questions around search & database.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at A9.com in September 2012.

Interview Details – I was contacted via LinkedIn about an availability at the company.

A pre-screening phone interview was performed in order to place me in a department. Two phone interviews were conducted by different engineers within that department (only one person on the calls). The phone interviews included shared code views for actual coding. After that a day of in-person interviews, I was told, would be scheduled.

Interview Question – Graph-Based Algorithms for Search, Quickest Path, etc.   Answer Question

Research Internship Interview

New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at A9.com in April 2013.

Interview Details – contacted a recruiter on LinkedIn, had a very short talk with her and she arranged a technical interview for me. On the phone interview, first asked about my background, mainly projects from my resume. Then did a online coding part. The coding involves search related questions, .e.g hash table, search tree, one specific question is how to find lowest common ancestor given two nodes in binary tree. After that, asked something about matlab programming.

Interview Question – tree search and hash table search complexity analysis. Matlab basic usage, e.g. generate random rgb colors.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Internship Interview

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at A9.com.

Interview Details – Came to campus, saw my resume and gave me an interview

Interview Question – How to efficiently store large number of ints.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at A9.com

Worked for A9.com? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at A9.com interview questions and advice. All 25 interview reviews posted anonymously by A9.com employees and interview candidates.