A9.com Interview Questions

Updated Mar 4, 2015

2.9

Software Development Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at A9.com in February 2015.

Applied through college career fair, but personally talked to the recruiters as well. Had an on campus interview with a senior engineer, who was really nice during the interview and afterwards. Most of my later interactions were with that engineer. The interview process was very low pressure and the interview itself was more of a conversation about my background and A9's work as opposed me being constantly evaluated. Definitely was a good sign. It almost didn't feel like an interview at all. I only had a single on campus interview before being offered the position.

Interview Questions
    • How to merge postings lists for information retrieval. (Basically finding the intersection of two sorted vectors)   Answer Question

Software Development Interview

I applied through website (redirected from a campus job website), and I was notified 2 months later if I am still interested. They asked me what skills I want to learn and what teams I want to join for the internship. I sent them a short email back with a list of my interest. I'm still in the process.

Software Development Interview

I applied through website, and I was notified 2 months later if I am still interested. They asked me what skills I want to learn and what teams I want to join for the internship. I sent them a short email back with a list of my interest. I'm still in the process.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Got in touch through on campus recruiters and had one on campus screen before moving to the onsite where I had 5 interviews. There were 3 technical interviews and two interviews with managers. The last one took place over lunch. I liked the interview process. From start to finish took about a month.

Interview Questions
    • I misunderstood a question on Dyanamic Programming but figured it out later on.   Answer Question

Winter Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at A9.com in October 2014.

Had one round of telephonic interview which I thought I did fairly well in, the interviewer was polite and the questions were pretty simple. Really basic stuff, I am surprised I didn't even get a second round.

Engineering Manager Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at A9.com.

This is a pretty disorganized company. I dealt with multiple people (recruiters included) and none of them was able to give me a positive impression about the company.

The senior engineer who did my phone screen was not very interested in his work and clearly was frustrated. I cleared phone screen and talked with hiring manager onsite. I believe that the interview went well but after that the line went silent. I pinged the recruiter on status and he said he has not been able to get in touch with manager ( please pick up the phone and call the person). Anyway I had couple of other offers of which I accepted one. This was an easy discard for me given the whole process was highly unprofessional.

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at A9.com.

Interview was on campus visit by A9. It was part of University of Waterloo co-op process, so the process may vary for others. Had one 45 minute interview and received the offer.

Was asked extensively about hash tables, and had to solve various problems involving them. Recommend how to compress data into bits. Was asked in detail about my OS project.

Software Development Engineer II Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at A9.com.

Got a phone interview with employee referral. Interviewer was asking very specific questions in java. ThreadLocals, syncrhonization, spring etc. Interviewer was not polite. Questions were simple but interviewer wanted to hear certain words.

Interview Questions
    • Mostly asked question about java frameworks. Asked to write code. Asked about thread locals   Answer Question

Ad Quality Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at A9.com in May 2014.

Two phone interviews and a four hour in person interview.

A9.com is very unorganized and slow to respond. They changed the job requirements during the in person interview. This shows a lack of professionalism and no organization at all. For the in person interview, they closed reception for yoga. They didn’t tell me this in advance so I had no way to let the front desk know that I arrived for my interview. Then many interviewers said that they changed the job requirements and it seemed like they did not know what job they were interviewing me for.

HR is very slow and unprofessional. They claim to be a startup, but they are owned by Amazon and have been around since 2003. This is no way a start up. They should grow up and take responsibility. Amazon is a company that has grown because of customer service and good planning. A9.com shows none of this. To close reception in the middle of the day and not put up accurate job descriptions is very sloppy and Amazon should look at their property, A9.com, and clean house. If their search is based on this group, then they are in trouble.

Interview Questions
    • It was difficult since they added job requirements as the in person interview went on.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer - Search Analytics Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at A9.com in March 2014.

The process starts with 1-2 phone interviews followed by a full-day onsite interview. I wasn't able to get through the phone interview because I wasn't able to answer the questions properly.

Interview Questions
    • Given an array of integers, find the largest possible number you can make from all the integers combined.   Answer Question