AARP

Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Easy Interview

Senior Research Advisor Interview

Senior Research Advisor

I applied online - interviewed at AARP in October 2012.

Interview Details – several interviews

Interview Question – greatest weakness   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – yes I negotiated

Executive Secretary Interview

Executive Secretary
Washington, DC

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at AARP.

Interview Details – At the time I was hired the interview went well and the process was seamless

Graduate Intern Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at AARP.

Interview Details – After receiving a response from an online ad, I submitted my resume and was invited to an in person interview. There was a 20-minute exercise after which I was asked to explain my reasoning etc.

Interview Question – Talk about a time when you had a conflict and how you resolved it.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Intern
Miami, FL

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at AARP in September 2011.

Interview Details – Hiring process was very quick and transparent. Notified within a few days to interview and offered position one day after in-person meeting. Met everyone in the office and the environment was very welcoming. Usual amount of paper work and drug testing required. Overall a good process that is efficient and direct.

Interview Question – Questions were a mix of experience based and situational. The most difficult questions came towards the end of the interview. Overall they were answerable but just required time to think about the best thing to say.   Answer Question

Policy Research Analyst Interview

I applied online and interviewed at AARP.

Interview Details – I was called for an interview not long after I applied for the position. The interview was over the phone with AARP's HR Director, and it was very straightforward with no surprises. It was actually a pleasant interview. They requested writing samples and I forwarded them along. Currently waiting to hear back about the next step.

Interview Question – I have followed up with the Director but have not heard anything from AARP since my interview last month.   Answer Question

Channel Manager Interview

Channel Manager

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at AARP.

Interview Details – Hiring is long and extremely complicated. The HR department is pretty incompetent so many people come in through friends or as contractors.

Interview Question – What is the lowest salary you will accept?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Converting from contractor to full time was a complex negotiation

IT Position Interview

Washington, DC

I applied online and interviewed at AARP.

Interview Details – I had a phone interview with the recruiter that went very well and then I had one with the hiring manager that also went well. I then advanced to an in person interview with the hiring manager and a panel interview in DC. The panel interview was challenging but not because the questions were difficult, it was because for one hour you have 4 different people asking you totally unrelated questions. The only process the interview seemed to follow was that the questions were asked in a counter clockwise order. I never received any communication from anyone after I left the building. No one returned my phone call or email. I was really excited about this opportunity and company but now after being treated so poorly after the interview my only regret is going in the first place and trusting that a recruiter would be respectful. Everyone should be treated with common courtesy, even candidates. It has always been my policy to give feedback within three days whenever possible.

Interview Question – There were no difficult questions but I did find that the panel members had a hard time relating to industries outside of their own professional experience and you have only a minute or two per question to try to help them understand or relate. I believe individual interviews would work better for the position I was being interviewed for.   Answer Question

QA Analyst Interview

Los Angeles, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at AARP.

Interview Details – First interview was a phone interview, with general questions about what I have worked on and what skill sets I have. Second interview was an on site interview. and I was notified within 2 days.

Interview Question – I was asked about Software development life cycle, how would I handle problematic situations at work, and some more technical questions about how to use SOAP UI tool.   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Administrative Assistant

I applied through a staffing agency and interviewed at AARP.

Interview Details – very smooth process; met with everyone I had to, no surprises, interviewing process was great.

Interview Question – none, I was prepared   Answer Question

Editorial Assistant Interview

Editorial Assistant
Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at AARP in December 2011.

Interview Details – The process took about two months in total. I sent off my resume and clips and was contacted a week or so later to schedule an interview. I met with the person who would be my supervisor and she was very nice. We talked about my previous internships and what I liked to write about.

Interview Question – I don't think there was anything difficult about the interview.   Answer Question