ABB Group Interview Questions

Updated Oct 15, 2014
Updated Oct 15, 2014

2.8

Control Systems Engineer Traction Systems Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ABB Group in November 2012.

First a bit to my person: I'm finishing my master's thesis in mechanical engineering and was looking for a job with the goal to have one before I finish my master in order to go with a clear head into holidays.
    Sent a speculative application for a job that had to do with control systems engineering and was if possible in r&d. One week later I got contacted by Abb and asked me if I would be interested in the job. They sent me a job description per mail and I accepted to go to an interview. Asked beforehand what the dress code was, and a suit with no tie was advised. Interview was pretty friendly. Checked beforehand who the human resources contact is. Turns out, Abb always has some specialist for a specific department in human resources...in my case the guy was an electrical engineering recruiting specialist. Must say this is impressive and you do notice the difference. First part of the interview was with him for about one hour. He touched all the typical topics but with rather nice and very original questions pretty specific to my cv. The guy was smart and knew how to profile me with my cv . Anyway, in my opinion at this stage, if there is no bs in your cv and you're just sincere and show yourself from your good side you don't have to worry about anything, it will just flow. Don't expect the typical: tell me 3 weaknesses about yourself; but rather know them and prepare to link them to your cv.
    Second part of the interview was with my future boss, a senior engineer and the boss from the twin department. Future boss led the interview 90% of the time. Questions were mostly about my experience and also told me a lot about the job. He did try once, when he ran out of questions to ask me, what I did bad at my job. I told him I had a pretty messy desk and tend to be too curious about the problems my colleagues are solving. They were happy with it...and I was being honest.

Interview Questions
    • Had to do a 1min pitch for a personal project. The project is pretty technical and the HR guy asked me to explain/sell it to him in under 1min in simple terms. That threw me in cold water and looking back I would have done it differently. Think this was more about reaction and structure, than content. Also think he asked me this, because I said that in 3-5 years I would like to be in project management.   Answer Question
    Since I'm fresh out of my master I didn't have much room to negotiate. I knew what I was getting. Besides ABB here in Switzerland offer some of the best working conditions, at least on paper. The job would have to be really bad to make it suck overall and I really don't think that is going to happen.

Legal Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cairo (Egypt)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cairo (Egypt)

Long questionaire , boring usual questions. Biased and unprofessional interviewer. No feedback at all.

Intern Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at ABB Group in April 2012.

The interview was through the phone. Normal questions about the technical background and if I meet the requirements of the position. Smooth without any difficult questions !

QCS Applications Engineer Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at ABB Group in March 2012.

Interview was a one on one conducted at a job conference. The interview itself was fairly informal. It helped that the interviewer and I hit it off, we are both ex-military. It consisted mostly of me displaying a very solid knowledge of the company, and I had taken the time to investigate some of the products the company deals with. Make sure and be flexible in terms of area to relocate. This is an outstanding company that does business all over the world. Most of the actual questions were behavioral, no scenarios to work through.

Interview Questions
    • Where do you see yourself five years from now?   View Answer

Intern At the Baden CRC Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lausanne (Switzerland)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lausanne (Switzerland)

I applied through college or university – interviewed at ABB Group in March 2012.

I applied through the EPFL portal
    Took quite a lot of time until they answered.
    Interview was exceptionally relaxed, although not necessarily easy. They asked questions related to the fields mentioned in my CV.
    Next, they asked me if I knew X. I was embarrassed to say I didn't. "Perfect. It relates to Y feature in Z, can you now figure out what it's about? Great, can you now come up with some solutions?".
    Last, they said they want to ask me something that I didn't know. But I already knew who would win the UEFA Champions League.

I have no idea why not many companies do relevant interviews like this.

Interview Questions
    • Relevant questions from the fields of interest listed in my CV and asking details about previous projects.   Answer Question
    Standard salary, no negotiation possible

Supply Chain Interview

The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at ABB Group in January 2012.

Had an on campus interview and then was flown down to Florida for second round interviews. Consisted of a panel interview and a lot of background info about the company, position, benefits, etc.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at ABB Group in January 2012.

This is very Pleasant experience

Interview Questions
    Looks monopoly, they tell how much salary they can offer, but that will be a good figure only.

Sales Manager for Power Generation Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jakarta (Indonesia)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jakarta (Indonesia)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at ABB Group in December 2011.

1) Initial search and screening process
    - recruiting agency singled out candidate from LinkedIn
    - requested updated resume/CV + requested expected salary (by email)
    - Face to face interview with a recruiter

2) Recruiter passed candidate to HR department
    - ABB local HR office sent out application forms with very detail personal questionnaires (expect to list blood types, sibling names, parents name, and your spouse and children DOBs)
    - candidate to fill out salary history (candidate to attach copy of pay slip)
    - candidate expected to fill medical information form
    - candidate to fill out 1 page psychological questionnaires

3) Interviews with ABB
    - face to face interview with overseas Business Development Manager/VP
    - face to face interview with overseas HR manager and Senior Sales Manager

4) Last interview
    - recruiter phone calls asking for salary history
    - numerous phone call asking for salary history (which I declined)
    - ABB sent out offer letter with very basic salary package
    - Declined job offer
    - Recruiter called candidate and threatened to blacklist candidate from its recruiting agency for failing to accept the offer.

Interview Questions
    • How much do you make in your current job?   View Answer

- No transparency on job duties
    - No transparency on budgeted salary range for the position
    - High pressure interview tactics (trying to get salary history from candidate by bouncing the interview from internal HR department and recruiting agency)
    - Low salary package

Senior Domain Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at ABB Group in August 2011.

Interview was held in person.

Procurement Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melbourne (Australia)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melbourne (Australia)

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ABB Group in August 2011.

Through Hiring agency..not much difficulty. No permanent position. Have to go thorough their preferred recruitment agency. If you know the hiring manager or anyone who can refer, you will get the job

NO Negotiations