ABB Interview Questions

Updated Mar 17, 2015
Updated Mar 17, 2015

R&D Intern Interview

Mainly email communication with one interview at the company before hiring. Simple interview asking about basic tool skills, 3D modeling experience, and mechanical ability. Was a very easy and laid back interview.

Interview Questions
    • Waiting for correspondence from the company in regards to the next steps.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at ABB in April 2014.

Applied via campus recruiting. Simple design questions on campus then proceeded to onsite. Onsite was with 7 employees ranging from developer to senior developers. Questions range from design, test case generation, vocabulary questions to math questions. One annoyance was questions were very vague and interviewers did not clarify very well.

Interview Questions
    • Cannot remember if under NDA so I won't discuss specifics. Be prepared for design questions.   Answer Question

Lower pay and poor work environment.

PAL Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at ABB in November 2013.

I had a phone interview, then a college campus interview, then a 2-day facility interview. The facility interview had a business casual dinner followed by a day of company overviews and four one-on-one interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Standard questions; Tell me of a time when you encountered a conflict. How did you resolve it?   Answer Question

P & C Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at ABB.

Applied online, Invited for interview at office.
    Offered the intern position in 1 week

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at ABB.

Started with a phone screen with a non-technical person who just asked questions that were easily answered on my resume he had in front of him. Played phone tag with the guy before getting an on-site interview. On site interview was typical entry level software questions involving data structures mostly.

Interview Questions
    • The questions weren't very difficult if you didn't lie on your resume. They were clear and to the point about what they expected you to know about the specific technologies. A lot of HR type questions grilling your performance in school. They seemed to care more about the one bad mark you obtained rather than the 99 good marks. Overall not a bad interview.   Answer Question

Quality Control Systems Engineer Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a dayinterviewed at ABB in October 2013.

Interview at conference was done with 3 regional managers with each taking turns asking questions actively. The hiring process was very aggressive and it is not uncommon to be hired the same day. The environment was calm but slightly intimidating. The panel was open to listening to ideas and personal experiences.

Interview Questions
    • Explain your most significant troubleshooting experience.   Answer Question
    • Explain a situation in which you had a conflict with management   Answer Question
    If you consider an offer make a counter. They advertise a salary and give you something above it. They go much higher.

Power and Automation Leaders (PAL) Candidate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ABB in October 2013.

I Initially got to know of the company through my school's career website, so I did some research on the company and the program. I applied and sent a follow-up email. I heard back within days and got scheduled for an interview. The interview was very informative and pleasant, and it went on for about 30 minutes. I was notified within the next week that I was not selected as a candidate for the program.

Field Service Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Wickliffe, OH
    Anonymous Employee in Wickliffe, OH

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at ABB in October 2013.

I got called through college job fair. The interview went on for 2 hours in which 5 people interviewed me. Its a given job if selected for interview. I was rejected because I was not a citizen or permanent resident and they did not do H1B sponsorship.

Interview Questions
    • Imagine a situation where you are in the field and on the phone with a tech support guy regarding a faulty system. Now the tech support guy is apparently giving wrong advice that goes against your experience. What do you do?   Answer Question

Project Manager Assistant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at ABB.

Received a call from HR screener spoke for 45 minutes they asked typical questions and salary requirements. Received a call back three days later and they scheduled a phone interview with the hiering manager. The call last about an hour. They call ended with if his has gone in your favor we will call you in one to two weeks. Received a call a week later and he wanted a face to face. He interview was scheduled four weeks later. They sent me a package with an application and other documents to return prior to the interview along with a detailed schedule. I interviewed with four people the manager, director, a pier, and a Hr manager. They called back a week later and asked for references and said if these check out you will recieve an offer.

Interview Questions
    • tell me about a time when you didnt handle a situation as well as you should have, and how did you fix redeem the situation? I know you are not supposed to tell me anything negative but I want a real situation where you know you should hqve acted differently.   Answer Question

Quality Assurance Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South Boston, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in South Boston, VA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at ABB in June 2013.

Most positions are open for a duration of 3 months. Hiring is predominant during start of second quarter each year.
    The HR phone call for 30 minutes discussion was the first round.
    Likeliness towards applied position, job location, relocation benefits, compensation, work permits etc were discussed. HR promised to get back if selected for next round.

HR got back two weeks since and scheduled appointment with Hiring Manager.
    Hiring manager was my manager to whom i report now.
    Questions asked were, tell us about you present job? whats the exciting part of your present job?
    He explained about the company and job position. Briefed up job responsibilities. Mentioned players with whom i would interact each day. willingness to relocate if selected. Let me know they have other candidates to interview and that HR would contact back.

HR was so considerate in sending a follow up E mail and inquiring about the phone call with hiring manager.
    Two weeks since, date set for interview. Flight tickets, rental car with GPS and hotel accommodation was booked.

I arrived at 8 AM for the interview that lasted for 6 hours with 6 people.
    First hour commenced with a plant tour and an interaction with Quality and Process Engineer. Questions like tell me about yourself, strengths, people management, leadership skills etc were asked.

Second Interview was face to face with Hiring manager (Executive Quality Manager). Questions very specific to resume and job descriptions.

Third interview with Product Manager for the product line i was hired for.

4th interview with the Operations Manager.

Lunch with hiring manager and operations manager.

5th Interview with Quality Systems Manager. Questions w.r.t Resume and quality tools. FMEA, Control plans, process maps, checklists, internal/external audits, how did you handle a defective component? etc.

Final round with the HR coordinator. This was a wonderful discussion where the HR coordinator explained the history of this plant, how many ppl worked, shifts, vacation policies, sick leave policy, health insurances etc.

Result was announced on the third day of interview.
    Later relocation coordinator contacted and provided information. The HR was so considerate in providing housing information and i ended up renting a house of ABB Ex employee in the area.

Interview Questions
    • Not difficult Question/unexpected question, but challenging question - Explain a root cause analysis with past experience, what were causes, how did you arrive at causes, what data was collected to prove evidence of causes, and how did you find out the root cause of the problem.   Answer Question
    Check out compensations for the county in FLC data base and negotiate salary with hiring manager. Always room for negotiation.