ABB Interview Questions

Updated Jul 3, 2015

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ABB in October 2013.

Interview

I Initially got to know of the company through my school's career website, so I did some research on the company and the program. I applied and sent a follow-up email. I heard back within days and got scheduled for an interview. The interview was very informative and pleasant, and it went on for about 30 minutes. I was notified within the next week that I was not selected as a candidate for the program.

Field Service Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Wickliffe, OH

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at ABB (Wickliffe, OH) in October 2013.

Interview

I got called through college job fair. The interview went on for 2 hours in which 5 people interviewed me. Its a given job if selected for interview. I was rejected because I was not a citizen or permanent resident and they did not do H1B sponsorship.

Interview Questions

• Imagine a situation where you are in the field and on the phone with a tech support guy regarding a faulty system. Now the tech support guy is apparently giving wrong advice that goes against your experience. What do you do?   Answer Question

Project Manager Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at ABB.

Interview

Received a call from HR screener spoke for 45 minutes they asked typical questions and salary requirements. Received a call back three days later and they scheduled a phone interview with the hiering manager. The call last about an hour. They call ended with if his has gone in your favor we will call you in one to two weeks. Received a call a week later and he wanted a face to face. He interview was scheduled four weeks later. They sent me a package with an application and other documents to return prior to the interview along with a detailed schedule. I interviewed with four people the manager, director, a pier, and a Hr manager. They called back a week later and asked for references and said if these check out you will recieve an offer.

Interview Questions

• tell me about a time when you didnt handle a situation as well as you should have, and how did you fix redeem the situation? I know you are not supposed to tell me anything negative but I want a real situation where you know you should hqve acted differently.   Answer Question

Quality Assurance Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South Boston, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at ABB (South Boston, VA) in June 2013.

Interview

Most positions are open for a duration of 3 months. Hiring is predominant during start of second quarter each year.
    The HR phone call for 30 minutes discussion was the first round.
    Likeliness towards applied position, job location, relocation benefits, compensation, work permits etc were discussed. HR promised to get back if selected for next round.

HR got back two weeks since and scheduled appointment with Hiring Manager.
    Hiring manager was my manager to whom i report now.
    Questions asked were, tell us about you present job? whats the exciting part of your present job?
    He explained about the company and job position. Briefed up job responsibilities. Mentioned players with whom i would interact each day. willingness to relocate if selected. Let me know they have other candidates to interview and that HR would contact back.

HR was so considerate in sending a follow up E mail and inquiring about the phone call with hiring manager.
    Two weeks since, date set for interview. Flight tickets, rental car with GPS and hotel accommodation was booked.

I arrived at 8 AM for the interview that lasted for 6 hours with 6 people.
    First hour commenced with a plant tour and an interaction with Quality and Process Engineer. Questions like tell me about yourself, strengths, people management, leadership skills etc were asked.

Second Interview was face to face with Hiring manager (Executive Quality Manager). Questions very specific to resume and job descriptions.

Third interview with Product Manager for the product line i was hired for.

4th interview with the Operations Manager.

Lunch with hiring manager and operations manager.

5th Interview with Quality Systems Manager. Questions w.r.t Resume and quality tools. FMEA, Control plans, process maps, checklists, internal/external audits, how did you handle a defective component? etc.

Final round with the HR coordinator. This was a wonderful discussion where the HR coordinator explained the history of this plant, how many ppl worked, shifts, vacation policies, sick leave policy, health insurances etc.

Result was announced on the third day of interview.
    Later relocation coordinator contacted and provided information. The HR was so considerate in providing housing information and i ended up renting a house of ABB Ex employee in the area.

Interview Questions

• Not difficult Question/unexpected question, but challenging question - Explain a root cause analysis with past experience, what were causes, how did you arrive at causes, what data was collected to prove evidence of causes, and how did you find out the root cause of the problem.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Check out compensations for the county in FLC data base and negotiate salary with hiring manager. Always room for negotiation.

Marketing Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lake Mary, FL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at ABB (Lake Mary, FL) in April 2013.

Interview

My resume was passed along to the hiring manager. First there was a phone interview to talk about the job and for the hiring manager to get to know me. Then there was an in face interview with the manager of marketing, product management, sr. marketing engineer and HR. I was called the next day and was told I got the position.

Interview Questions

• What demotivates you to do a task?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was not able to negotiate, but I do know that I was given the highest salary possible given my experience and job title.

Electrical Engineer Interview

Interview

phone call ask general questions

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at ABB.

Interview

Apply, Interview three or four times, hire.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Non negotiable

Associate Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Walnut Creek, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at ABB (Walnut Creek, CA) in February 2013.

Interview

It was an internet posting response. The first interview was by phone by a screener from the HR department. Those who passed the screening was forwarded to the hiring manager for review.

Interview Questions

• Questions were expected, but it did not seem like the screener knew much details about the project this position would be hired for.   Answer Question

Quality Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ABB in January 2013.

Interview

Email request for salary details. Followed by phone interview. Followed by face to face interview for several hours meeting 4 people. Walking tour of the facility with a look into the manufacturing methods used and industries that used their products.

Interview Questions

• How did you solve a problem involving bad manufactured product?   Answer Question

Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wickliffe, OH

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at ABB (Wickliffe, OH) in December 2012.

Interview

business casual dress. It was laid back. He showed me around. Asked me about my work experience. Said he liked my resume, and said that it seemed like I would be a good fit.