1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all Interviews

Utility Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at ABM Industries (Santa Clara, CA).

Standard process. Applied via referral. Called for interview 2-3 days later. Casual interview with basic questions. Offered the position. Required to take drug test. Started assignment a few days later. The account manager was very car salesman like. The office personnel were very personable, friendly, and easy going. The site supervisor however was a very rough character, with no real people or interviewing skills.

Interview Questions

• There were no difficult or unexpected questions. Standard interview and all questions were relevant to the job (building maintenance)   Answer Question

Oddly, this position at any site in the SF bay area, paid 19.00 to start via union guidelines. We however were all paid 15.00, and told that the higher rate was only for those who completed their 90 day probation, and subsequently became local 39 union members. After my being "laid-off" from this site, several people who were retained, had told me they were not raised to 19.00/hr. They were given an excuse that the "this particular contract," did not pay that high. The oddest part of this equation is, the job title utility engineer, pays 19.00/hr regardless what site you work at, due to the 19.00 being standard local 39 union salary. So something is wrong here, unless the largest commercial retail shopping center in the bay area, somehow cannot afford to pay it's contractors the correct union wage.