ACC Interview Questions

Updated Jan 19, 2015

2.9

Admissions Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at ACC.

Interview

After submitting around 40 applications, and slightly hounding HR personnel and hiring managers, I was finally contacted for an interview for the following week. It was such a routine that I would apply for every new posting before I could even realize it. It's seriously a numbers game, it took over a year before I was contacted for an interview. After my interview it took a few weeks to hear back from compensation with an offer. Once we agreed on a salary, I was able to choose my start date that was in the following month.

Interview Questions

• Typical questions, nothing out of left field. Honestly, there isn't one that stands out as difficult. "Tell us about a time you had a difficult customer and you handled the situation." Those types of questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation

HORRIBLE! They lowballed me so I countered. They came back with $100 more, ANNUALLY! I only took the position because I was in dire need. But I was so insulted with the offer that I almost didn't want to.

Adjunct Assistant Professor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ACC.

Interview

I met with three full-time professors in the department. They asked me fairly standard questions, and then they asked me to do a lesson demonstration (I had been told of this beforehand and was given the opportunity to prepare). The professors acted like the most challenging students they could think of.

Interview Questions

• A professor, in the role of a confused student, couldn't "understand" my explanation no matter how many times/ways I restated, diagrammed, modeled, etc. The challenge, of course, was to see how patient I was and how creative I could be with teaching to different learning styles or disabilities.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There are set compensation levels for adjuncts per class, per semester, depending on the number of contact hours with students and the number of semesters of service to the college. So there was no negotiation.

Science Lab Technician Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at ACC.

Interview

Panel of people asking questions and you have to take a simple test to see if you know the general calculations of the job

Student Services Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at ACC (Austin, TX) in June 2012.

Interview

Applied online. Closing dates on the application acceptance is very strict. Be sure and apply exactly on time. Generally they are also only available for a week or two when they do come out. When I got the phone call to interview, interviews were pretty much that same week with only 1-2 days open to interview. Really small window. Hiring at ACC is all by committee. Depends on the position. Depending on how up the chain the position is, the larger the interview committee. Generally 6-8 people will ask questions. Anywhere from 30-60 minutes and presentations may be required. Hard to get foot in the door at ACC but once in, positions are great. Acceptances can take another 2-3 weeks at a minimum. Once the hiring committee agrees on a candidate, they send it to HR, who then does background checks and references. Depending on time of year, it can take weeks before an offer comes through. Quite a long, tedious process.

Interview Questions

• Suppose you were the only one to open the advising center and there was a line out the door, the phone was ringing off the hook and an instructor adamantly needed copies or information all at the same time. How would you handle the situation?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Compensation calls to let you know you have been offered the job. There's not much negotiation. They have a system that they run all of your experience and education that pops out a number. Based on anything else you'd like to report or reconsider, they can maybe squeeze out a little more money. But ACC works on a pay scale system and you are maxed out between two possible ranges of salaries in each position. Maxing out your pre-assigned Pay Code is the most they can offer.

Entry Level Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online – interviewed at ACC (Austin, TX) in April 2012.

Interview

Fun. Wear comfortable (tennis) shoes. You will love the interview process because you get an indepth apprach to what they actually do. Theres only black and white to what ACG does.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

How do you think you could benefit ACG? How can ACG benefit you? What qualities make a great leader?

Lab Tech II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ACC (Austin, TX) in November 2011.

Interview

You will be interviewed about your previous work experience, questions about things shown in resume. Very friendly interview.

CCNA Lab Tech/Student Tutor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at ACC (Austin, TX) in December 2010.

Interview

I was a student and was referred by my CCNA instructor to management for a position at ACC. I turned in my application for employment and had one interview and I was hired at that point.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There was no negotiation. I was told what the job would pay and I accepted the pay rate. It was very fair.

Senior Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at ACC (Austin, TX) in September 2010.

Interview

The interview committee consisted of a panel of 6 interviewers who all took turns asking questions - 18 questions total, not including follow up questions. I got the impression that they already had someone in mind as they committee seemed very disinterested in my answers. The questions were tough. One in particular that blew my mind was "Name your three best traits and your three worst traits." I was prepared for one bad trait, but three? Within a week I received the email letting me know I didn't get the job, something I was pretty certain about when I left the room anyhow.

Interview Questions

• Name your three best traits and your three worst traits.   Answer Question

Media Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

The process took a dayinterviewed at ACC (Austin, TX) in September 2010.

Interview

I've been through several now for several different positions. Usually you wait for a pretty long time after you apply before you get the call to come in for an interview. Its always a panel of people from different areas of the college and they have a list of standard questions - "what are you strengths", "what are your weaknesses", "describe a situation in which you performed well", etc. The questions are not terribly difficult, but I can imagine it would be intimidating having to sit in front of a panel of people.

After the interview, I find it's hard to know if it went well or not because of the number of people you are dealing with. It takes a really long time to hear back afterward. If you contact them and ask about it, usually they will redirect you to HR and you'll get a vague answer. Just when you are about to give up hope altogether, that's when HR calls and says you got it. If you aren't quite as fortunate you'll get an email saying you didn't get it. You always hear one way or the other.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation related to your job that was particularly challenging and describe how you overcame it.   Answer Question

Adjunct Professor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at ACC (Austin, TX) in August 2010.

Interview

The hiring process is partly driven by the requirements for an accredited institution so that getting hired does mean that you have some academic achievements. PhD is not required, but of course, as it's the gold card of the profession, having one helps. The HR department checks applications against position requirements and your application must, repeat much, meet or exceed them. The interview process is by a committee and the same questions are asked of each of the interviewees in each session. Followup questions are sometimes allowed but generally, the answers you give for each question will determine if you are in the running.

Interview Questions

• I didn't think any of the questions were particularly difficult; the one unexpected one was "What would you do if a student in the class got out of control?"   1 Answer

Negotiation

I accepted what was offered.