ACME Business Consulting

Updated Feb 3, 2015
Updated Feb 3, 2015

2.9

Change Management Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at ACME Business Consulting (Portland, OR) in November 2014.

Interview

The ACME interview process is a progressive series of individual interviews until the third and final part- the business case review. Beware. It's not a business case. It's a hypothetical IT implementation based on DUNK Intl- ie NIKE their client. There is no structure- no direct questions in this exercise. It is an entirely subjective exercise judged by consultants who have no idea about the subject matter they are are asking you about. It's merely a fashion show. There is no identified outcome- for you or for them. It's certainly not empirical nor is it in any way reflective of ones ability. It can go any way ACME wants it to as it measures neither a competency or a proficiency level. ACME brags that only 50% pass this exercise while simultaneously complain that they are not hiring the right people. Duh.... They waste you and their time. My advice- don't waste your time with this firm. They have no idea what Talent Management is- it's stupid asking stupid and hoping for a smart result.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here?   1 Answer

Senior Manager Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at ACME Business Consulting.

Interview

Process involves a series of unstructured phone conversations, a mini-business case via phone, and an in-person business case. There was an extensive set of coaching tips for the business case.

Interview Questions

• Being given a fake business case, being told this wasn't about being an IT project manager, and then being discounted for not detailing out the IT facet of the plan.   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at ACME Business Consulting in October 2014.

Interview

As previously stated in another online review - the process begins with online submission followed by the first step of a series of unstructured phone conversations etc.
    IMO both consultants that interviewed me lacked the ability to structure interview questions in a manner that would properly evaluate a candidate’s background and qualifications. I have a wide range of industry experience and have held a wide variety of roles on so many projects, and was quite surprised on the feedback I received related to my candidacy. In the consulting world, conclusions need to be drawn based on facts, and not based on interviewers lack of understanding of things leading to completely wrong conclusions.

Interview Questions

• No unexpected questions, not a lot of questions at all.   1 Answer

Consulting Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at ACME Business Consulting in July 2014.

Interview

The HR folks set very clear expectations at every point in the process. The interviews were scheduled directly with the interviewers via email and therefore avoided confusion about date, time and meeting place. I was uniformly impressed with all the personnel I met over the phone and in person. The hiring process is long, with multiple interviews culminating in a case interview with a mock client. Bring your A-game, and be humble.

Interview Questions

• The case interview was definitely the most difficult aspect of the process. Although you will be well -prepared for the general set-up, time flies by and it is a serious challenge to fulfill all the parts of the case in the allotted time-box.   Answer Question

Senior Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at ACME Business Consulting.

Interview

Had phone screen, then multiple interviews with other Managers. They were all awesome people. It took 1-2 weeks between interviews. I haven't heard from them and they don't respond to calls & email 2 weeks after last interview.
    Interviewers submit feedback to the internal recruiter and they decide if your worthy of next step. Apparently, one of the last steps is a half-day session where you're presented with a problem and are given some time to come up with and present a solution or approach. Interviewers act as the client.

Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ACME Business Consulting (Portland, OR) in April 2014.

Interview

It was confusing and I received emails suggesting I had passed to the next step, in their 4 step process. They boast about the length of time the process takes and how many people they interview.

Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at ACME Business Consulting in January 2014.

Interview

Applied online (via their company website). Was contacted the same day by their HR / Recruiting person to set up phone interview.

The initial phone screen was good - mostly just about my background and goals. No real "interview" questions, mostly trying to establish fit. It was about an hour with a senior consultant at ACME, who was very engaging and great to talk with.

I moved on to the second phone interview, which was with another senior consultant. This was typical "tell me about a time when...." or "give me an example of..." type questions -- but focused on telecom / software type work, which was weird given that nothing on my resume indicated I had this experience, although obviously they wanted it for the job. Needless to say, this interview did not go as well as the first, although the consultant I spoke with was personable.

My complaint -- after this second interview, there was radio silence. Even after I contacted the HR rep who had been in touch with me all along, I received no response. I'm an adult, I can handle a "sorry, we decided to move forward with other candidates" - no hard feelings. So I find this method of avoidance pretty immature and unbecoming of a professional company. I understand not having the time to send a personal note to every single applicant, but if you've already interviewed a candidate a few times, have the decency to let them know that they're no longer under consideration. This is what makes me rate the overall experience as negative.

Bonus tip: I've heard from others who made it to the final round (business case) phase at ACME, and who were not offered positions; the reason given was that they didn't have a "backup plan" in their solution (or a backup to the backup) - just something to keep in mind if you make it to this round!

Interview Questions

• Questions on experience that was not listed on my resume were unexpected   Answer Question

Senior Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at ACME Business Consulting in November 2013.

Interview

The HR department does not seem to be well co-ordinated. There were several on and off communications with the HR team interview timing setup and it took almost 90 days to set one up. The interview was simple and nothing out of ordinary. Interviewer seemed to in a hurry and did not even wait for me to ask questions.

Interview Questions

• Nothing out of the ordinary. Tell me about yourself? Projects details? How many people managed? Core competencies?   Answer Question

Senior Manager Interview

Interview

Hiring process includes the following:
    Initial screening by phone
    Interview #1 in person to get to know you
    Interview #2 in person to dive into your experience in detail
    Business Case presented to 2 of the Principals
    They look like a good company to work for.

Interview Questions

• So far, all questions have been very straight forward.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at ACME Business Consulting.

Interview

Straightforward process, beginning with a phone interview, then progressing to several face-to-face conversations with principals and other consultants. Process culminates in a hands-on "business case" exercise where candidates are presented with a hypothetical business problem and asked to develop a solution approach.

My interview process moved smoothly and efficiently until I apparently fell out of contention. I wasn't immediately notified of that fact and I spent a couple of weeks trying to get confirmation of my status. Kind of a disappointing conclusion to a process that up to that point had been professional and enjoyable.

Interview Questions

• No particularly difficult questions in the screening process   Answer Question