ACT Interview Questions

Updated Apr 7, 2015
Updated Apr 7, 2015

2.9

Content Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at ACT.

Interview

For a candidate seeking a non-leadership position, there were far too many hoops to jump through. A phone interview, a test, a work-product assignment test, then another phone interview, then over 3 hours of in-person interviews with seven people in four different rooms. The interviewers had competing agendas and did not seem very clear on what skill set they wanted. The definition of the position changed throughout the process. In the end, I did not get an offer, but I did get a curt formulaic e-mail for all of my time. I regretted applying, not because I did not get an offer, but because I let my time be wasted by an organization that was already showing signs of inefficiency and in-fighting to an outsider. The vetting process was overkill.

Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at ACT.

Interview

Initial phone interview took about 30 minutes, followed by a in-person interview that involved the hiring manager and potential co-workers. The interview was about 3 hours. Also asked to take interactive skill based and detail based assessments. Workkeys exam is required for non-ACT employees. Took awhile from applying to hear back but then things went pretty fast.

Interview Questions

• Asked for a lot of samples, nothing expected. They will ask for salary requirements.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Only time you can request your salary so aim high, no negotiations.

Program Development Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at ACT (Iowa City, IA) in November 2014.

Interview

Once the application had been moved on to the hiring manager, an interview was scheduled. The time from application to interview was about a month. Interview took place in a small conference room separate from where anyone was working. Met with the hiring manager and a benefits specialist, lasting under two hours. The experience was pleasant and information was shared both ways. No questions were really unexpected. I felt I could present myself well and was able to get my own questions answered.

Interview Questions

• Technical questions were related to the job duties of the position for which I was applying. Nothing difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question

Sales Interview

Interview

2 week process. Good Interview standard questions. met co-workers, toured the place. no questions too tough to answer. a very nice area. Was not too hard to commute.2 week process. Good Interview standard questions. met co-workers, toured the place. no questions too tough to answer. a very nice area. Was not too hard to commute.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Salary pre-designated

Secretary/Administrative Support Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at ACT (Iowa City, IA).

Interview

Plan on taking pre-employment employment tests developed by the company. Stress that you are open to learning about different positions, departments, and responsibilities. Due to the high turnover and constant organizational changes, your job will move or change every other year.

Interview Questions

• How long do you plan on staying in Iowa City?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation for non-exempt staff. Negotiation for higher level executives though.

Director, Workforce Planning and Analytics Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at ACT (Iowa City, IA) in June 2014.

Interview

Very thorough & highly enjoyable candidate experience. I live and work in Oregon, so I flew to ACT's beautiful corporate campus in Iowa City, IA for a day of extensive panel and 1x1 stakeholder interviews. The process was well organized and assembled thoughtfully. Transportation and lodging were first rate and easy to coordinate/settle.

Interview Questions

• ACT is a not for profit organization. Compared with for profit organizations, how does working for a non-profit resonate with you?   Answer Question

Senior Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at ACT.

Interview

The process when I was hired worked well. I communicated directly with the hiring manager for most of it, and customized work samples were used. I had a positive experience and communications were fluid considering the time of year and workload of the hiring manager. The questions were challenging but were able to help the hiring manager and me see that I was a match for the position.

Interview Questions

• In the work sample, I had to write a memo to stakeholders communicating an operational change, and also had to create workflows.   Answer Question

Temp Slave Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ACT (Iowa City, IA).

Interview

There is no interview process. Submit resume, receive call, meet talent supervisor to sign paperwork and NDAs. Dress casually, khakis and a polo is literally the upper limit. They expect you to show up in jeans and a tshirt.

After you start working, they test your competency in the subject material.

Digital Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at ACT in November 2013.

Interview

Smooth process, phone interview(s) followed by onsite visit and met with team for 3-4 hours. The position was eventually cancelled and I received an automated message. While it was not the right fit for me any ways, I still would have liked to receive a much more personal message. Over the course of the many weeks and discussions, the interviewee does generate a relationship with the interviewers and a more personal communication of the decision would be much appreciated.

Test Development Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at ACT (Iowa City, IA) in March 2013.

Interview

My hiring process was very drawn out. I know others were hired very quickly. I believe the difference is what area you are being hired in.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Very little negotiation.