ADP

Average Difficulty
12 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Client Services Representative

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at ADP in December 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online, received email to set up a phone interview. Had a brief phone interview with the recruiter, about 25 minutes or so. She set me up with an 1:1 interview with the hiring manager. When I showed up, they stated the hiring manager was busy, but someone would be out to meet with me. Ended up being 4:1 interview with different members of the department. Spoke for an hour or two. Was told they would follow up since the hiring manager is unavailable (meaning no thank you). Did not get a good impression of their culture when I was there.

Interview Question – About 30-35 "tell me a time when" questions. The interviewers did not seem experienced, asked some of the questions more than once.   Answer Question

Alpharetta, GA

I applied online - interviewed at ADP in September 2013.

Interview Details – Applied August 28th
Phone interview September 13th
Face to Face interview September 17th

Interview Question – Most difficult is the waiting game. The interview was fairly simple and easy. They asked questions concerning your resume. The questions were not the regular generic ones, so I felt they really took the time to see what was on my resume and invest in getting to know me.   Answer Question

Interviewed at ADP

Interview Details – The interview was extremely awkward because the interviewer seemed to be focused on other tasks. She was not extremely knowledgable about the position they were interviewing me for and did not seem to vested in the conversation. Due to this, I began to lose interest in the position, but hopefully other prospective employees will have more luck than I.

Interview Question – There were no extremely difficult questions.   Answer Question

Client Service Representative

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at ADP in July 2013.

Interview Details – I was contacted by the recruiter in May 2013 but we were unable to schedule a phone interview. The recruiter then contacted me again by phone and we began to discuss the position and my resume/background. I was away on business with my current employer and scheduled the face to face interview for July 2013. The first interview went great. The two managers were very friendly and I felt comfortable during the entire interview. I then had another phone interview with another executive 2 days later to discuss my background and knowledge of the company. The phone interview went great!

Interview Question – How is your current background related to this position?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – none needed

Roseland, NJ

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at ADP in March 2013.

Interview Details – I received an email confirming the application and the next day another email from the HR department asking for a phone interview. The day after was the phone interview and we spoke about things on my resume and previous experience. We also discussed the position and I was able to ask questions about the position and company. The in-person interview was a week and a half later and was 4 on 1. The questions were about previous experiences working with clients and how to work with difficult clients.

Interview Question – Describe a time you had to work with a difficult client. What did you do to resolve the issue?   Answer Question

Client Service Representative

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at ADP in June 2013.

Interview Details – I started by applying for this job on a internet job board.

Got a call from a recruiter for a pre-screen phone interview. It was about 20 minutes long where he asked a few questions about my resume and then details about the position. I then had to set up an interview for the face-to-face interview.

Went in for face-to-face interview with 2 managers. Very friendly people. They asked questions about my resume, behavioral questions, basic structural questions like where do I see myself in 5 years, and then finished up with telling me about the work environment and if I had any problems with it. Interview was about 30-40 minutes.

Then got an email to set up an interview with the VP just asking me questions about my resume again. He focused more on the conversations I had from the previous interview. Asked me if the managers walked me through aspects of the job. Interview was quick, 15 minutes tops.

Interview Question – Walk me through what you know about the job.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Didn't negotiate.

Milpitas, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at ADP in April 2011.

Interview Details – Phone interview w/ recruiter
Customer service assessment test online
If you pass, you are scheduled for an interview with managers
Thereafter, interview with VP of Services

Interview Question – What was the one career decision that you regret?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Was unable to negotiate. Started me at $21.15/hour. After passing my Level One test, I received a 5% raise.

Minneapolis, MN

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at ADP in May 2012.

Interview Details – The initial application is rather lengthy - you're asked a series of questions regarding work history, education, etc (standard). Then for me, I was asked to take an intelligence test - which seemed strange to me. After all was said and done throughout the first 2-3 weeks, I received my test scores and was told I made it to the next process which included one-on-one interviews with a designated recruiter.

The recruiter contacted me and essentially asked everything I had already answered in my preliminary questionnaires. She was very kind and answered all of my questions I had about how she liked working for ADP. She was enthusiastic - ensuring that her 8 years of working for the company had been the best. After we had a 30 minute conversation on the phone, she advised that my information would be processed and I would be contacted within the next week for additional screening.

About 4 days later a different recruiter contacted me. She asked more in-depth questions about my work experience, how I handled particular situations, and where I saw myself within the next 5 years. She was also very nice and friendly - reiterating the same positive things that the previous recruiter had told me about ADP. After our conversation, she told me I had made it to the next round and would be receiving a packet in the mail containing information about drug/background screening.

Once I completed everything in the packet, yet a third recruiter contacted me about 2 weeks after I had submitted everything requested by ADP. She called to inform me that I had received the position and that I would receive an official letter in the mail which would serve as my "offer letter", and I would need to respond with a written acceptance or declination. I graciously accepted!

The entire process took about 6 weeks, but this worked perfectly for me as I was finishing up my Bachelor's degree and began working about 1 week after graduation.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time where you had to use your own judgement which didn't result favorably?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The offer I received was well above what I had expected, so I did not feel the need to negotiate.

Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at ADP in September 2012.

Interview Details – I applied for the position online through ADP's website under Careers. I was first contacted by an HR Recruiter via email to set up a phone interview. The phone interview started awkward because she did not have my information readily available to her. She had to ask what I was applying for and where. She had to put me on hold a couple of times and I heard dogs barking in the background. At the end of the interview she shared she felt I was qualified for the position and requested I go to an onsite interview. Upon arriving, I was greeted by a woman who shared my interviewer was late and I was to observe an employee taking phone calls. I sat with a younger man in college who was agitated at the calls he was having to take because he wasn't new and that is the new people's job. I observed him for about 45 minutes, listening in on his calls with a head set, until my interviewer was ready for me. I first had one interviewer, and then a second one came in and I had to state a couple of things over again. They really focused on asking what type of manager I needed and reiterated the position was over 7 hours straight on the phone every day. Also asked a lot of analytical vs. instinct type questions I felt the interview went well overall; however they shared they had several people to interview and I would hear back in 5 business days. A few days later I recieved an email from the HR Recruiter they had chosen a different candidate that better met their needs. I have over 7 years in managerial experience and I think that they were concerned I would want to move up too quickly. During my interview I was told several times I would not be able to move up until I had been with the company 2 years.

Interview Questions

• Would you consider yourself an analytical, data processing type person, a person driven on instinct, or a little bit of both and why?   View Answer
  • Paint me a picture of what your perfect work atmosphere would be (team, manager, motivation, etc.) and why?   Answer Question

Buffalo, NY

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at ADP in June 2010.

Interview Details – Very unprofessional! I was interviewed by two women, one in person while the other was on the speaker phone - both calling themselves Client Service Managers. Although the face to face person was very nice, jeans, bra straps and cleavage were not something I wanted to see sitting across the table from me.
The interview consisted of the usual "tell me about a time" questions that went fine.
It all went south when it came time for me to ask any questions. Neither seemed to know anything about the structure, direction, or really anything - about the company itself.
Being a payroll company that is obviously affected by the economy and in turn less people in companies to pay - I asked about how the economy has affected the company, such as layoffs, etc. I certainly think this is something someone should know going into a job that might not be there in a few months... the "manager" on the phone sounded all flustered and upset. Then when she had no answer, said that it would be NEGLEGENT of her to even speak of such things. WHAT?
What this tells me:
1. She was no manager - just a department "lead" that is not involved in anything outside of her department
2. There is a distinct possibility this job wont last more than a few months and they are hiring people just to blindside them later.
3. This is not a company I would ever want to work for

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you disagreed with management decision and how you handled it.   Answer Question
  • Tell me about a time you failed to meet a deadline, why, and how you handled it   Answer Question

Worked for ADP? Contribute to the Community!