ADP

3.1

28 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at ADP.

I am a college student and got an entry level sales job with ADP. I got in contact with a recruiter and they were extremely helpful throughout the process. I did a phone interview with the recruiter and then had to do a digital interview, then a month later I interviewed with the VP of small business and we talked for about 30 minutes about why sales is for me, and why I want to work for ADP. I ended up getting a 6 week internship, which means I could potentially get the job at the end. (I was told that about 90% of the interns get the job)

Other Interview Reviews for ADP

District Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at ADP.

I joined The Ladders and applied to a job that it recommended as a match based on my profile. A couple of days later, the recruiter contacted me about my application. We had a productive conversation and spoke for nearly an hour. At the conclusion of our call, she said she was going to forward my resume to the hiring manager and recommend we move the process forward. I was excited about the prospect and grateful for the guidance she gave me in the days to come. She could not have been better. She suggested questions for which I should prepare and gave me some direction in what I should ask the hiring manager. It was really ideal.

Then the morning of the interview came, and everything changed. I arrived 15 minutes early and called the hiring manager to let him know I had arrived. The call went to his voicemail. I called again, a minute shy of our meeting time and he was essentially wondering where I was. We figured out where exactly to meet each other since only badged employees have access to the office. When we met, he seemed rushed and in a hurry, and I noted that I had called him 15 minutes prior and it had gone to voicemail. He said he had been on a conference call, but did not offer a reason why he didn't try calling me back, or acknowledging that I had called.

I wanted to move past this and settle in for the interview. We started at the earliest point in my resume, and it became quickly apparent that he and the recruiter had had minimal communication about me as a candidate and my resume. The first several questions were all things I had discussed with the recruiter and I did not get the impression that he had heard any of it before.

He wondered about my earliest tenure, and I explained it as best I could, given that it was over a decade ago and I've had two other employers since. I thought it would reflect well that I held several positions during my tenure and had clearly advanced. He wondered where the sales numbers were for this time. I was absolutely confounded. This was a position I had left 8 years ago (and I was not been asked by either employer since for these numbers).

At this point, I knew the interview was over. We continued on this part of my resume for what I felt was a disproportionately long period of time. He was clearly frustrated that there was no way to for him to measure me, in his words, in this position. The company I worked for is a Fortune 500 company and there (a) would be no way I could get those numbers now and (b) would be no chance anybody at the company would confirm/refute said numbers for an outside party. Should I have saved them elsewhere? Probably. But I didn't think of it almost a decade ago, and as I said, no one in the company would be willing/contractually able to verify them anyway.

We finally moved on to my current position and quota achievements. I had discussed these with the recruiter as well, and she led me to believe they spoke well of me as a candidate. He essentially said they weren't good enough and that if he hired me, it would reflect poorly on him and weaken his position in the eyes of his team. He also did not like several things about how my company manages its sales team, which is obviously something I cannot control.

I knew by now that he was not someone I could work for, so I just got through it as best I could. I have always thought of ADP as a solid and well-respected company, but the fact that this manager is evidently one of the stars in the company made me realize it simply is not the kind of corporate culture I seek.

I wrote a follow up e-mail to him and copied the recruiter thanking them for their time and removing myself from consideration.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question was when he wanted to see sales numbers from over 8 years and two employers ago.   View Answer

District Manager Interview

They will put you in a scenario where you have to sell them the object they put in front of you. They want you to tell them how you close sales. Do not say you have ANY fear of cold calling, knocking on doors, etc. They want a very aggressive, money motivated person.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a time you failed. Also - at the end of the interview the VP wanted me to close him.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Parsippany, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Parsippany, NJ

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at ADP in July 2013.

They took me to a Yankee game in the biggest suite available where I met a lot of the regional VP's and other candidates. Got recruited from ladders.com with 2 phones screens. 7 in person interviews over 2 days. Presentation on day 3 to a "board" of managers, VP and top performers. Easy enough if you have poise and knowledge and do a little homework.

Interview Questions
    • So why should I trust you to be a performer here at ADP?   Answer Question
    Their offer was 8k above my expectation so there was no negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Culver City, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Culver City, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at ADP in June 2013.

1: 5/23 Thurs. – Phone Interview with recruiter:
    It was supposed to be quick, but it ended up being 30 minutes. Nothing major, just “tell me about yourself”
    2: 5/24 Fri. - Phone interview with recruiter:
    40 minute interview, with official questions "what motivates you", "what are your strengths", “what skills do you think will help you succeed here” etc. If she/he (in my case, she) she will call you the next day and say she will move you forward with an in-person interview.
    3: 5/29 Wed. – In person Interview with VP of Small Business Sales:
    In person interview at the ADP office, with the VP and he liked me off the bat. Mentioned that my sales background was very strong and ended the interview promptly by saying "I’d love to have you on board".
    4: 6/3 Mon. – Ride Along
    My ride along landed on Monday which is the day “Roll Call” is done. It is the day associates mention their sales, scheduled appointments, and forecasts. That day a manager announced her maternity leave*.
    My partner for the day was supposed to take me on a sales call to see how and see the services pitched. I was supposed to hand out business cards, offer sell services to a client, visit a bank for possible referrals from the personal banker, etc.
    Unfortunately, none of that happened. She was feeling sick and to top it off her appointment fell through. My ride along consisted of a delicious sushi meal and with pointers about what to say during my mock sales pitch. Her and I then returned to the office and was then approached by a manager asking if I could come back another time for the mock sales pitch because they had an important meeting.
    5: 6/7 Fri. - Interview with 2 SBS Managers & Mock Sales pitch:
    Upon arriving I was given a packet to review services to recommend during the mock sales pitch.
    Interviewed with two females, spoke a little about myself, my failed ride along, myself, and then finished off with the mock sales pitch. They both had smiles saying they liked my sales pitch, the form in which I properly asked questions, and adequately recommended products, asked/closed the sale. Interview ended and I felt great about it again. Now it was a matter of waiting for the final verdict…zike.
    6: 6/19 Wed. – Interview with NEW SBS manager:
    The next Monday, I was informed by the recruiter that I did well, the managers were happy with it. Here’s the bad news, yep another interview. I had to interview with a new manager because who I was going to work under was going on maternity leave (part 4*). I However I had to wait several days because the new manager was transferring from Texas to California. Interviewed and again the same questions. He was concerned about my commute being an hour and thirty minutes, but I reassured him I wasn’t concerned about it. Interview ended and I felt great about it again.
    7: 7/2 Interview with another VP of Sales:
    Yep, another interview. The last manager I interviewed with (part 6) recommended a branch that would have a lesser commute time. What a nice guy. A different recruiter mentioned she would take over my application and tell the other VP of Sales that I had already been through the whole hiring process, mentioned all my 6 visits to the office, my long time in even trying to get hired since May 24th, and that it would be a “…walk in the park. Just talk to him and introduce yourself”. She apologized for the hiring that took place and mentioned that hiring at ADP typically takes 1-2 weeks. She mentioned that she was very surprised they dragged me around for so long.
    Interview again with the same questions. Interview ended and I felt great about it again.
    8: 6/5– Email:
    “Thank you for interviewing for the position of Assoc District Mgr with ADP. After careful consideration of your qualifications in relation to our current staffing requirements, we have decided to pursue other candidates that more closely meet our needs.”
    Are you kidding? I went through 2 phone interviews, 8 visits to 3 different ADP branches, 4 in-person interviews with 2 VP’s and 3 regular managers, yeah 5 different people, a failed ride along with someone that taught me nothing, paid $12.50 each time for parking (total: $87.50) to a particular branch, plus gas, and cut short. The comments by the recruiters and managers alike “your mocks sales pitch was awesome!”, “well I don’t know what you told him, but the VP loved you”, “your resume is strong”, “You’re pretty much in after all these million interviews” for nothing? I even emailed back the recruiter asking what went wrong, but I wasn’t even worthy of a reason why.
    ADP dragged me around since May 24th through July 5th, that’s right it’s 42 days (6 weeks), where I could have just landed another job. I got mislead by the recruiters and managers alike. I wanted to complain to ADP’s HR, but there’s really no point. What are they going to do--give me the job out of pity? No thanks.

Interview Questions
    • "what motivates you", "why ADP?", "what are your strengths", "if you had an uncapped commission, how much would you like to make?"personal here they don't care.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at ADP in June 2013.

Go through about 3 interviews. First with recruiter then 2 with hiring managers. Be ready to role play. Be upbeat and flaunt your "peacock" chest. It is an entry level position and they want to see passion, ability to sell, and ambition.

No Negotiation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at ADP.

Initial Interview
    Ride Along
    Role Play.

They do an extensive background check that can take up to a month to complete. Make sure that all the information you complete in the application is correct, even down to the dates or you will be rejected employment.

Interview Questions
    There is no negotiation. They start everyone at the same base!

District Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ADP.

You will get a screening call. If that goes well you will do the typical personality test. I then came in and met with the Sales Exec for the team I would be working on. I then came back a week later to meet with the VP of Sales. Both interviews were relatively simple. They want to get an idea of your process (you better be sure you mention you love to cold call because there is a lot of phone work). After the interviews they take around 2 weeks to do background checks

Interview Questions
    • They really want to get details of the number of hours per week you spend on the phone prospecting, though that approach seems to be changing.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pleasanton, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pleasanton, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at ADP in March 2013.

One interview with a sales excutive. One interview with a VP. then a sales presentation followed by an offer. It was really an easy process if you have 1/2 a brain. They don't try t trick you like google or Facebook. It's all about driving activity, being a soldier and willing to grind.

Interview Questions
    They didn't allow me to negotiate. This should have been my first warning.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at ADP.

7 interviews- start from the bottom go up to VP and back down to who will most likely manage you. They literally interview all day long on mondays. So you need to look your best and be very assertive. If you are good looking it helps.
    You have the same conversations with every interview-y. You do a role play- sort of confusing unless you are familiar with their verbiage.
    You will do a ride along with someone in the field -They aren't terribly realistic but they give you an idea. You have to pass a background and a urine drug test. It helps if you know someone.

Interview Questions
    • Not so much a question, as stating things that you aren't sure if you are supposed to argue with or just nod and smile. It's not really about you, it's more about how many questions you can ask them. Make sure to take notes. Just keep talking.   Answer Question
    no negotiation- $36,000 base pay plus $500 per month for expenses and commission starts at 10%. Its pretty great pay and if you do well it can be even better.