ADP

Updated Apr 14, 2014

Getting the Interview

27 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

Interviewed at ADP

Interview Details – Went through four interviews. First, the recruiter interviewed me, then a virtual interview, then a meeting with the VP and a interview with sales associates.

Interview Question – Tell me something that is not here on your resume.   Answer Question

Outside Sales Representative

The process took a day - interviewed at ADP in July 2010.

Interview Details – I was first contacted by e-mail after submitting my resume online. After receiving a response, the HR administrator set up a time for the phone interview. The interview primarily consisted of questions regarding my prior experiences and why I would be a successful sales representative. The interviewer was very considerate and easy to communicate with.

Interview Question – Why would you be a good candidate for this position?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The position was not what I was looking for at the time.

Parsippany, NJ

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at ADP in June 2012.

Interview Details – Applied via ADP's website then had an ADP employee refer me, email confirmation a couple weeks later, ADP sales administrator called me to discuss resume and to set up time with one on one interview with sales director, sales director in person interview, group interview in person with multiple sales directors. The in person interview went well, but they wanted someone more aggressive and experience with a quota requirement sales position. According to the sales director I was to meet again for a ride along and final interview, but I was notified via email that ADP will not be moving forward with my employment.

Interview Questions

Pleasanton, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at ADP.

Interview Details – Do not go to this interview if you are a recent graduate. I made the trip to interview for an outside sales position. The person I was supposed to meet with was not able to because she was in a meeting. I spent only fifteen minutes with another person as they told me they do not hire recent graduates. I was not given the opportunity to explain my qualifications, as I did have sales experience. I was also not asked any interview questions. I was very disappointed and thought the whole process was very unprofessional. Save your time and money.

Interview Question – None, because I was not asked any.   Answer Question

Novato, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at ADP in July 2013.

Interview Details – The process was very quick. I applied online and got an email the next day requesting a time for a phone interview. The phone interview lasted about half an hour. The questions themselves were expected questions such as "Tell us about your work history", "Why do you want to work for ADP", etc. I then received an email at the end of the week with brief feedback and that they had chosen to move on with another candidate.

Pleasanton, CA

The process took 5 days - interviewed at ADP in February 2010.

Interview Details – I became interested in the job as a fall back plan after meeting a recruiter at my University's job fair in January. She was from the LA office and suggested I contact the main Southern California recruiter for job availability in Irvine or San Diego (where I was interested in working). After speaking with her via email, she suggested "I contact her when I moved down to the area." I explained to her that I would not move to the area unless employed and would rather pursue the opportunity before graduation in June, however she failed to respond. Guess she couldn't handle a man who takes charge!
A few weeks later I received a call from the Northern California headquarters pursuing my interest in the company, which I accepted as a worst case scenario plan. We set up an initial phone interview for the following week and she emailed me a personality test to complete meanwhile. The phone interview was quite casual and frankly I came into it over-prepared for the topics she discussed. She was fascinated that I scored in the top 96% percentile on the personality test, which was constructed based on their top sales people's answers to the same questions. We set up a 1 on 1 interview with the VP two weeks down the road when I would be traveling up to the Bay Area for other engagements.
Treating the interview as practice, I decided not to prepare much before heading into our meeting. The office in Pleasanton had a very corporate feel, starting with being greeted by a security-like secretary and remote operated blockade granting my entrance once revealing my identity. After taking a seat in the "lobby" I was greeted by the VP and escorted to his office, passing many cubicles and personality-lacking individuals along the way. I must say the VP was a charming young chap against it all. The interview was very relaxed and focused on my desires of the position, with the average "who are you" conversation. I was asked, "what was my favorite trait about myself?" The gentleman could tell I didn't have much interest in the job, hence my life objectives and lack of passion for door-to-door type sales. I only would have worked in one location in the Bay Area and there wasn't any availability for that region.
My suggestions would be: to know what you want before you go in there and make it known during your interview. Be ready to explain who you are. What are your goals for the job, remember it's sales!
Ultimately, ask yourself if you really want to be selling payroll systems day to day. However, good for those who don't want to be in an office and rather out in the field.

Good luck!

Base Salary: $50,000+ Commission (average about $10-20K/year)

Outside Sales Representative Interview

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at ADP.

Interview Details – The interview process with ADP was very long. I had a first interview in December and finished the process in March. The hiring manager told me on my last interview that he was going to hire me. I had not heard from the company in over a month even though I had contacted them multiple times. I finally heard from the recruiter and was told they wanted to hire me for an internship. I found this insulting because I was told many times that I was the perfect candidate for the job from multiple people I interviewed with. I always had to contact the recruiter or the hiring manager myself after an interview. I felt like the whole process was very unorganized and really turned me off from the company.

Interview Question – A lot of behavioral questions. Tell me a time when you were patient? Tell me a time when you were persistent? etc.   Answer Question

Outside Sales Representative

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 6 days - interviewed at ADP in October 2009.

Interview Details – the interview process consisted of two phone interviews before sitting down with the VP of sales. It was my first 1:1 interview so I did not perform that well. I feel that if I was better prepared I would have giving myself a better shot. The interview is straight foward. If you are prepared you should do well.

Interview Question – What are your three strongest skills?   Answer Question

Irvine, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at ADP in February 2012.

Interview Details – I was speaking to different ADP recruiters about positions in two different territories, the first was an actual ADP recruiter the other was a recruiter for another company who ADP outsourced to. The ADP recruiter was the most unenthusiastic recruiter I had ever spoken to. He did not seem interested in our call what-so-ever and seemed annoyed with any question I had. We spoke about multiple positions and I expressed my interest in them - and was suppose to hear back from him and never did. I tried to call his office number, didn't answer. I sent multiple emails, no response. The other recruiter who was outsourced was very friendly, very enthusiastic and easy to talk to on the phone. She sent me to a 1:1 interview with a hiring manager/sales manager, the interview required me to drive out of my way about 45 minutes each way, which I did not mind AT ALL because I was hoping that this would lead to a job offer. When I got to the 1:1 interview, the interviewer was late, unorganized and once he brought me into his office, told me that I was interviewing for the wrong territory and that he wouldn't hire me for his territory based off of where I live. The interview lasted all of 2 minutes. I understood that he wouldn't hire because the commute would be brutal and he said he would get everything sorted out with the recruiter and get me an interview with the hiring manager in a territory more suitable for me to commute to daily. I emailed the recruiter after and she said she would do the same thing. I never heard back from the hiring manager of the wrong territory or the recruiter. I tried calling her and emailing her and she never responded to any of my means of communication. I had heard great things about ADP and was very excited about having the opportunity to interview for a great company where I could work my way up and start a career. But these experiences left a very sour taste in my mouth, I found it very unprofessional to simply just ignore me. I understand they are busy, but it is very easy to send a simple, generic rejection draft they already have saved.

Interview Question – Describe your responsibilities at your current position.   View Answer

Irvine, CA

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at ADP in December 2009.

Interview Details – I applied online and a recruiter called me back within a couple days to hold a phone interview on the spot.
From there she passed me along to an interview with the regional VP and then I had a field ride with one of the outside sales reps with a role play with one of the sales executives immediately after. The final interview was with the regional VP again and they made me an offer within a couple days.

Interview Question – Describe a time you had to overcome an obstacle.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at ADP

Worked for ADP? Contribute to the Community!

ADP Videos

ADP – Why Work for Us?

Automatic Data Processing, Inc. (Nasdaq: ADP), with about $11 billion in revenues and about 620,000 clients, is one of the world's largest providers of business outsourcing solutions. Leveraging over 60 years of… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at ADP Outside Sales Representative interview questions and advice. All 27 interview reviews posted anonymously by ADP employees and interview candidates.