ADP

Getting the Interview

10 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Baltimore, MD

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 days - interviewed at ADP in August 2012.

Interview Details – 5 step interview process 2 phone interviews - 1 in person - 1 field ride - 1 final interview

Interview Question – fairly straight forward   Answer Question

SBS Associate District Manager Interview

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at ADP.

Interview Details – Hiring process was fairly easy. Apply and recruiter will take a look at your resume. If there's a potential fit, you are scheduled for a phone interview. If you qualify, you meet the sales manager. If the manager likes you, you move on to a field day with a tenured sales rep who shows you a day in the life. They will get to know you and will provide feedback to the managers. The experience can differ base on the day that you have shadowing the rep based on their own calendar. Upon doing so, you will go in one last interview and asked to role play and if you can close the mock sale, you should get an offer.

Interview Question – how much do you expect to make in one year?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – entry level is non negotiable

Interviewed at ADP

Interview Details – Went on multiple interviews: 1 with the Vice President, 1 with each Sales Executive, 1 roleplay, 1 ride along day

Interview Question – How much money do you need to make?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiations allowed!

Very Easy Interview

Interviewed at ADP

Interview Details – Process took about a month. Basic phone interview first and then video interview. The video interview flashes a question on the screen and you have about 30 seconds to prepare an answer. A couple days later I was brought in for a 1:1 and asked to come back for a final interview, ride along, and role play. Be sure to ask a lot of questions during the ride along phase and practice the role play so you are prepared to perform when you get back to the office. Be sure to smile and have fun!

Interview Question – What is a subject you could talk about for hours?   Answer Question

West Palm Beach, FL

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at ADP in October 2011.

Interview Details – I received a call from a recruiter shortly after applying for the position. After passing the phone interview with the recruiter, they scheduled me a face to face interview with the Sales Executive. The first interview was somewhat challenging for someone with no sales experience; I was put on the spot to sell a pen. I was scheduled for a second interview, this time I was told that I wasn't what they were looking for. This caught me by surprise, but thankfully my recruiter gave me a heads up to 'close, close, close'. I challenged the interviewer and eventually 'sold myself'. The whole process took about two months, which was kind of annoying, but overall the interview process was pretty smooth.

Interview Question – Sell me this pen.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate, the compensation plan is pretty rigid. But there is an excellent incentive compensation plan.

Las Vegas, NV

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at ADP in August 2010.

Interview Details – 2 phone interviews - National Recruiter first gets to know you and your resume, second Recruiter coordinates your real interviews with the VP and Sales Managers. Both were nice girls up to this point. Until I met the VP, which they did not schedule 10 days later (poor timing). The VP claims that someone without sales experience would not do well in this job. I have 3 yrs of sales background on my resume in front of her, but it's like she wasn't listening. Then I ask her how she started ("oh i came from healthcare")...really? This should be a sign that I withdraw right away with an incompetent Regional mgr.

Was called to set up 2nd in person interview with the 2 "sales managers". Waited forever for them to show up, and saw the horrible dress code in the office.. Dirty Flip Flops, wrinkled shorts and t-shirts. Really ADP, fortune 500 much? Saw the employees running around the office and fooling around like 2nd graders. I sat through it and asked many questions about the company to the sales managers. Just a bunch of wishy washy answers, like politicians. I think its because I inquired too much that the next day I received an email saying "The feedback was positive, but we have chosen to proceed with another candidate". Right, another candidate whom they can leash around and abuse?

Overall, the process was long winded, with unprofessional managers in this region. I was glad I didn't waste anymore time with the process. After 4 interviews you would have to do a "day in life" with another rep who hates their job. Then finally do a presentation selling payroll to the VP. The lack of professionalism in person was terrible. Don't let the nice recruiters over the phone waste your time!!!!

Interview Question – Why ADP?   Answer Question

Houston, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at ADP in July 2010.

Interview Details – So far I have had a phone interview, a face-to-face interview, and I have a ride-along scheduled for tomorrow. I am very excited about this opportunity because my friend that referred me has mostly good things to say about her job...there are negative aspects to every job. Everything she has told me about the company has so far been backed up by my experiences during this process. I am really hoping to get an offer at the end of this process because I will undoubtedly accept.

Interview Questions

• In what one way are you most similar to and most different than [the person who referred me].   Answer Question
  • What traits do you possess, besides your innate sales ability, that will help you succeed in this position?   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Dallas, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at ADP in May 2010.

Interview Details – I got word of the company through one of my professors in my marketing class. The college liaison sent an email to him, and he forwarded it to the rest of the class. I replied to the email, sent in my resume, and the same day got a call from a recruiter asking where I was looking to relocate.

The recruiter put me through a brief phone screen just to make sure that I knew exactly what ADP did and if I was still interested in it after learning a little more about the position and the company. At the conclusion of that call, we set up a future formal phone interview which took about 30-45 mins and consisted of going over my resume, and asking why I wanted the job.

After the formal phone interview, I was granted a face to face interview in which I met with the VP of Sales 1:1. He reiterated that the job was going to be hard work many times to make sure that I wanted the position bad enough. Since I was from out of town, I was not able to meet with the sales managers during this visit since I came on a day in which they weren't in the office, but set up a time to meet with them.

On my next visit, I met with two sets of two sales managers...Both of which had very different feels. The first interview lasted about an hour and consisted of pretty tough questions and a role play for products that I (currently) sell with my company I work for as well as other questions that were not scripted whatsoever, but were more based off of answers that I gave. The second interview was a little more relaxed and more straightforward and didn't consist of as many tough questions. One of the questions that I specifically remember is: I'm going to give you two different phrases, neither of which is a wrong answer, but tell me which one you would say fits you best. I love to win, or I hate to lose.

Since I had to return to my home city immediately following this interview, the four sales managers and the VP met for maybe two minutes or so, and I met again with the VP of Sales in which he offered the position to me. Overall, I would say this was probably the most difficult interview process I've ever been through just because of the preparation that has to go into the process. They will definitely make sure that you can think on your toes and answer questions that you would never be prepared for.

Interview Question – I'm going to give you two phrases, neither of which is a wrong answer, and just tell me which you would say describes you better: I love to win, or I hate to lose?   View Answers (2)

SBS Associate District Manager

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at ADP in October 2008.

Interview Details – Interview with recruiter, personality test, math test, one on one interview, field ride...and a role play where you have to sell ADP's services to the SE. They will offer you the job if you ask lots of open ended questions while probing.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you had a dissatisfied client.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no

SBS Associate District Manager

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 days - interviewed at ADP in January 2010.

Interview Details – VERY NEGATIVE EXPERIENCE W/ SEXIST STAFF IN MIDWEST:

The only reason I will not be returning for the next round is because I was told I would not fit in to their aggressive masculine culture but that they were sure I could continue to be a successful sales rep in a different environment (I am a woman with 3 years of sales experience). Throughout the interview I was compared to a female rep I did not have a chance to meet, and kept being reminded this is a good thing, and not to fell "pigeon-holed". Sounded like they had a token female and were wondering if another would work out.

My final interviewer (who was more of a stress interviewer - interrupted me a lot, put his hands on his face and made noises while I talked) told me I was in fact unlike their successful token female, because she had the potential to be both "greedy" and a "b*tch" and he did not believe I could get "down and dirty." Thanks but no thanks, a bunch of chauvinists.

Interviews for Top Jobs at ADP

Worked for ADP? Contribute to the Community!

ADP Videos

ADP – Why Work for Us?

Automatic Data Processing, Inc. (Nasdaq: ADP), with about $11 billion in revenues and about 620,000 clients, is one of the world's largest providers of business outsourcing solutions. Leveraging over 60 years of… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at ADP SBS Associate District Manager interview questions and advice. All 10 interview reviews posted anonymously by ADP employees and interview candidates.