ADP SBS Outside Sales Representative Interview Questions

3.3

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at ADP (San Diego, CA) in November 2013.

Interview

I was emailed by the recruiter and asked to complete an automated video interview. You set up your computer and camera and begin the interview. Once you press start for the first question, you have 30 seconds to prepare before the video begins recording. The you can take as much time as you want before starting the next question. There were 8 questions asked, here are a few: 1. Tell me about yourself. 2. Name 2-3 things that motivate you. 3. Which do you prefer Account Management or Sales and why. 4. Describe your biggest achievement 5. Give an example of a time when you had to negotiate. The automated video interview is awkward. I did not feel like I did very well on it, but I got an email from the recruiter setting up a time for us to speak on the phone. During this phone meeting she explained the job a little bit and asked if I had any questions. We then set up a meeting with the VP of small business sales for 8 days later. The interview with the VP lasted about an hour and he seemed like a nice/cool guy. He talked to me about my resume and asked me about my achievement that I was most proud of. He then asks a few personality questions which have right and wrong answers, so do not get them wrong: 1. If I were to hire you and your buddy from your hometown, given that you both put in the same amount of effort, same hours, neither is smarter than the other... You are both exactly the same. After 6 months one of you if performing better that the other... Why is that? -During my time at work I learn, take the path of least resistance (sell to restaurants bc thats where my experience is). Is some of the ways he answered the question. 2. Would you rather be the 8th highest salesman and have everyone in the office like you or be #1 in the office and everyone hates you. -Answer is to be #1 bc that is why you are there, to make money for yourself and the company. "In sales you have to be competitive." 3. Which would you prefer: To spend a day with a mentor setting some appointments and have the mentor accompany you to the businesses to sell for one day. or Have an operation manual given to you for a week to study before you start. -The correct answer is to go with the mentor At the end of the interview he told me that everything went well, but that next time he wanted me to show him that I could match someone's energy that's more enthusiastic (I'm a laid-back guy). The following day I received a call from his assistant scheduling a ride-along with one of the top performing sales reps. The ride-along is went well and it was an interesting experience. We visited a bank that she uses to get referrals and went door to door prospecting at different businesses and we got along great. I expected to have to try and prospect myself, but she never asked me to do it and she wanted to go back to the office bc it was raining. At the end of the ride-along the sales rep assured me saying that she was going to recommend me and that I should get a call to set up the panel interview in the next few days. After three work days I got an email saying they were not going to offer me the job. I have asked all 4 people that I had contact with for some feedback, but none has been provided. I guess I should have been more enthusiastic during the ride-along! If you are moved forward, past the ride-along, there is a panel interview with all of the sales managers and sometimes a role-play.

Interview Questions

• Biggest achievements, times when you negotiated, tell me something thats not on your resume.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for ADP

Anonymous Employee in Melville, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at ADP (Melville, NY).

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter through LinkedIn, who then called me after I responded to her and screened me by phone. She approved, and passed me onto a sales recruiter named John Taylor. He was very nice, very helpful, and screened me by phone the next day. Deciding I was a good fit, he set up an in person interview in the Melville location with the VP of Sales and some managers. I met with the VP first, he was about 10-15 minutes late in starting the interview, but he was friendly and personable. We had a pretty good conversation, and his biggest concern was my lack of B2B sales experience (I have some sales experience, but not B2B). He then said that some of his best people have come from a background like mine, but he needs a reason to justify the risk. He said the interview went well, and that he wanted some of his managers to meet with me and that he needs one of them to say they are dying to have me on their team. I met with 2 managers at once, and then a third manager afterwards. Each of the interviews went very similar, asking about my background, why I would be a good sales person, why they should "take the risk" in hiring me without B2B sales experience. Naturally, in the interview, I wanted to have a good answer and neglected to point out that this was a entry level job that quotes 0-4 years experience. I guess the 0 years (or some other sales years) experience was not what they wanted at this moment. Overall, it went well, we all had good conversations. They were all very nice, but also very forward and confident as salesmen tend to be. The actual interview process was fine, and believe I wasn't made an offer based on past experience as they all said I did well in the interviews themselves. Where I got the negative opinion of ADP was afterwards. I hadn't heard from them for about 3-4 days, and so I sent the recruiter an email to ask what the feedback was. He didn't respond, but later on I received a generic "thanks for your interest, we decided to pass" kind of email. Wanting to know how I can improve my interview skills, or at least know what the reason was, I sent the recruiter an email saying thanks for everything (your support, advice, etc) and can you please tell me what the feedback was. He didn't respond, so I emailed the VP asking politely and briefly for a one sentence feedback about why I was not chosen, just so I can understand better and adjust going forward in my job search. Neither answered, which was disappointing. It gave me the impression that they care about you when they think you can work for them, but the second they decide not to make an offer....who cares? I could no longer benefit them, so I don't justify a response. I understand it's common place to not offer in depth feedback, but even just a courtesy email saying that they couldn't offer any details would have been nice.

Interview Questions

• Pretend I'm a small business owner, sell me this highlighter   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ADP (Pittsburgh, PA) in June 2011.

Interview

From what I have been told it is a series of interviews. Phone 1:1 1:2 Roleplay

Interview Questions

• The phone interview was very basic.... "Why do I want the position", "Why do I want to work for their company", etc.   Answer Question

I found something that seemed more promising.

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at ADP (Los Angeles, CA) in August 2010.

Interview

I hunted down a recruiter and emailed them about sales opportunities with ADP. I did not received an answer back until I followed up a week later. I was interviewed over the phone twice and then brought in for a 1:1. I have not heard back from them since, it has been 1.5 weeks. They will not answer my emails or return phone calls.

SBS Outside Sales Representative Interview

Application

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at ADP in August 2011.

Interview

I was contacted by the recruiter who asked basic questions and reviewed some of my work history. We then set up a phone interview for the following week. The phone interview only lasted 20 minutes. We reviewed my resume and I was only asked one true interview question - what is an obstacle that you have had to overcome. I was also asked what I knew about ADP. The interview was not typical of a real interview, no real depth and no ability for the person being interviewed to really sell themselves.

SBS Outside Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at ADP in January 2011.

Interview

Applied online and submitted resume. Immediately received email from recruiter to fill out ADP Application for background check and take a skills/personality tests. After completing the application/tests, contacted both via telephone and email by recruiter and invited in for a 1:1 interview. During the interview, recruiter went over resume and asked typical sales questions. Recruiter informed that the hiring process was lengthy and thorough (possibly 4 more interviews). FYI ... 0-3 years B2B sales experience is required, but if you don't have more than 3 years, very unlikely to be considered for the position. Very competitive market with many seasoned sales representatives looking for jobs.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to be an outside sales representative for ADP?   1 Answer