ADTRAN

Updated Nov 17, 2014
Updated Nov 17, 2014

21 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Huntsville, AL

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at ADTRAN.

Talked to them at a Career fair and had an interview with them the next day. They asked standard questions about my education and questions about what polymorphism is ect. Not a casual interview, but also not high stress.

They invited me back for a second interview in Huntsville. This was an all day thing. It took about 6 hours of interviewing with a lot of different people. This interview was a lot more stressful. I was asked multiple times to do coding either on a white board or on paper. The questions are not easy, but they work with you to help you if you need it. Also, I lost some points because I didn't do a lot of research about the company and its competitors before, and they asked me about it. Have some technical examples to prove why they want you. They care more about your skills than anything else, and they do quiz you to see if they think you can cut it.

Interview Questions
    • Bit coding for clock cycles, finding the 5 closest points to another point from a file of points, tell me about the research you have done on the company(competitors ect.), we noticed in the last interview you were lacking in (insert area here) what have you don't since then to rectify this if anything, how have your other interviews been going if you have had any   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Huntsville, AL

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at ADTRAN in September 2014.

Was first recruited at my University, and had a short interview. Few technical questions were asked at this point, and I was invited to interview in Huntsville in a few weeks. The onsite interview was a long day. I had 9 interviews, all with different departments. There were a few technical questions, but they were fairly basic. I asked a lot of questions about what each group did, but by the end of the day it all started to run together. Each interview was different. Some were with a single manager, but most were with a manager and a few of their engineers. The campus was very beautiful, and I got the impression that this is a very team-based workplace.

Interview Questions
    • Questions varied alot by team. One team asked about bit-manipulation, one team was more interested in object-oriented concepts.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Huntsville, AL

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at ADTRAN in September 2014.

First talk with two managers and they made a little personality check, and four rounds of technical interviews in a row with three groups including a lunch interview, many of the questions are about C++ fundamentals such as data structures, virtual functions and stuff, some group will ask you some pretty basic EE questions to test your knowledge with circuit. The last step is to talk with the HR and discuss about the incoming interviews and the existing offers and stuff.

Interview Questions
    • Some of them are about bit-manipulation problems in C++ and it is pretty low-level programming questions.   Answer Question

Technical Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Huntsville, AL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at ADTRAN in July 2014.

I applied for this position through employee referral, who passed on my resume to the hiring manager. A week later, couple of people from the team interviewed me over the phone asking me about my prior experience from my resume. It lasted about 15-20 mins. I thought the next step would be a formal phone interview or something where they'd ask technical questions. But a week later, I was shocked when one of the recruiting coordinators at the company told me that they want me to come over onsite for the interview to meet their team. I was very excited about it. They flew me over for the interview with overnight stay at the nearby Best Western Plus hotel. The travel and accommodations were immaculate. It immediately gave me a great impression of the company. The following morning I was given an escort to the company in their own vehicle.

The interview was scheduled from 9am to 4pm with me being interviewed by their entire team consisting of about 8 people. The magnitude of the campus blew me away. Everyone was incredibly welcoming and made me feel right at home there. One of the engineers showed me around their labs, which was breathtaking. Most of them talked mainly about my prior experience and resume. Two of the eight engineers asked me some technical questions, which I was able to clear quite comfortably. They even took me out to lunch at a nearby chinese place. It was an incredible experience, even if the job is in Alabama!

Once the interviews were over, I asked the hiring manager as to when I can expect a decision. He said about two weeks. So I waited anxiously. But then three weeks went by and still no signs of me being told of a decision. I followed him up via email as to whether I am still under consideration or not. He replied a week later saying that I was. It gave me hope. I'd heard from others that if a company wants to reject you, they'd do it right away. If they're waiting a month or more and still not told you of a decision, then it's a good sign. So I kept waiting but still kept on applying in search of other opportunities. Then two months went by, and still no decision. I was starting to get really impatient. I sent the hiring manager an email and there was no response. I sent couple of HR people an email and they too never responded (one of them had an automated reply saying they'd quit!). I couldn't believe the sort of unprofessionalism from a company of this magnitude. No one knows the misery of going through this unless someone has gone through it, especially an international candidate who has visa restrictions.

Ultimately, I got an incredible job offer from a better computer networking company so it turned out superbly for me. It was a no-brainer decision. But all I ask for is to inform the candidates of a decision within a month tops, is that too much to ask? Even if its a reject, just say so so that we don't live in false hope. Thats when ADTRAN went down in my esteem. I'm glad not to be working for such an unprofessional company in the end, least of all in freaking Alabama!

Interview Questions
    • Most were straight forward questions from your resume. Technical questions pertained to IP addressing, Subnetting, OSI model and quite a few WAN-related questions.   Answer Question

DVT Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Huntsville, AL

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at ADTRAN in April 2014.

Offer from career fair, had one on-site interview and one ph interview. Mostly questions were about the networking, routing, Dynamic, RIP, OSPF routing, Python. The ph interview was difficult. The interviewers friendly, intelligent during the on-site but the ph interview was bit difficult. Ashed lot of questions based on the current technology.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Huntsville, AL

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at ADTRAN in November 2013.

Had on-college-campus interviews, then on ADTRAN campus interview. Interview lasted all day. Met with two different groups and probably 8 pairs of engineers. Topics covered operating systems, all the way down to bitwise c++ operations.

Interview Questions

Location was not a good fit for me.

Hardware Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Huntsville, AL

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ADTRAN in October 2013.

The entire process took the better part of a day. I interviewed with about 7 or 8 different groups. The groups went all the way from hardware and PCB layout, to pure software engineering. Most of the interview involved some basic networking questions, behavioral questions and questions about the projects and experience listed on my resume. One or two groups, however, were extremely technical. They had complex C++ code (dealing with polymorphism, and inheritance between classes) and had me give my best efforts to decipher the code. All in all it was a positive experience, and they were nice people. Do your homework for this interview, because it will be a tough, technical interview with a lot of smart people.

Interview Questions
    • What's the difference between Layer 2 and Layer 3 ethernet? Explain the inheritance and relationships between these 3 classes.   Answer Question

Co-Op Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Huntsville, AL

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at ADTRAN in March 2012.

One interview was conducted at the university and three others were completed on-site in Huntsville. The interview on campus at the university mainly consisted of questions that tested if I had the qualifications needed for the Co-Op position. I was also asked questions that determined if I fit well within the company (social attributes for example). The next step in the process was on-site interviewing, which consisted of detailed discussions of networking and programming. I didn't know everything asked about networking, but the input I did on the topic served as sufficient information.

Interview Questions
    • How would you implement the stack data structure? What functions would you use?   Answer Question
    I was able to negotiate. However, I didn't really feel as if I needed to. The time frame of the co-op was acceptable. If you are given an offer, only accept if it fits your obligations and schedule. Try to negotiate before declining. You don't want to pass up a job opportunity.

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Huntsville, AL

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at ADTRAN in February 2012.

Signed up for an interview in career fair. Next day had an interview in the campus itself. The questions were on my resume and kind of courses I've completed.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Huntsville, AL

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at ADTRAN in November 2011.

Had an on-campus interview after submitting my resume. About a month later I got an e-mail inviting my for an on-site interview. It consisted of two interviews, a tour, and lunch. Got a call 3-4 days later with an offer.

Interview questions were mostly about my background. In the on campus round they asked a few questions about the c++ API, and threading, at a basic level. The on-site interviews had some behavioral questions mixed.

Interview Questions
    DId not negotiate. Pay is pretty good for an internship, but they don't provide housing.