ADTRAN Interview Questions

Updated Mar 19, 2015
Updated Mar 19, 2015

3.1

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at ADTRAN.

College student interviewing for entry-level position. 8 hour interview process, cycled through about 10 different groups/managers. Each interview was different in terms of length (20 min - 1 hr), number of interviewers (1 - 7), type of questions, etc. Some focused solely on soft skills, some solely on technical questions, some were a mix. No breaks except for lunch which was also an interview.

Interview Questions
    • In C, given that "int x = 10;", what will x be after "x = x++ * x++;"?   View Answer

Wasn't very interested in the type of work.

Anonymous Employee in Huntsville, AL

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at ADTRAN.

Talked to them at a Career fair and had an interview with them the next day. They asked standard questions about my education and questions about what polymorphism is ect. Not a casual interview, but also not high stress.

They invited me back for a second interview in Huntsville. This was an all day thing. It took about 6 hours of interviewing with a lot of different people. This interview was a lot more stressful. I was asked multiple times to do coding either on a white board or on paper. The questions are not easy, but they work with you to help you if you need it. Also, I lost some points because I didn't do a lot of research about the company and its competitors before, and they asked me about it. Have some technical examples to prove why they want you. They care more about your skills than anything else, and they do quiz you to see if they think you can cut it.

Interview Questions
    • Bit coding for clock cycles, finding the 5 closest points to another point from a file of points, tell me about the research you have done on the company(competitors ect.), we noticed in the last interview you were lacking in (insert area here) what have you don't since then to rectify this if anything, how have your other interviews been going if you have had any   Answer Question

Co-Op Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at ADTRAN.

I interviewed with some representatives at my school. They were quite nice and friendly. I asked some questions I had about the company and they asked about what I was interested in, the classes I was taking, and why I chose my major. I was invited for a second round of interviews on the Huntsville campus. They took me on a tour of the campus and I had two interviews while I was there. They asked me some technical questions dealing with the classes I have had up till then. I received an offer a few weeks later.

Automation Test Interview

First is phone interview. Most are general questions about your experience, and some technique questions. Not very hard. Then go to an onsite interview. It took all day from 10 am to 6 pm. You will talk with more than 10 interviewers about questions about C++, algorithms. But they will serve you a nice lunch.

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at ADTRAN.

Some company representatives came to a university career fair, where the first non-technical interview took place the day after the career fair. Then within about a week I was contacted by a recruiter to go and interview on the ADTRAN campus (which is absolutely lovely, by the way). They provided hotel accomodations for the night before at the Best Western hotel which is about 15 minutes away (driving) from their location. The interview day consisted of approximately 30 minute interviews from 10:30 AM to 4:45 PM. During each time slot, I was interviewed by 1 or 2 people. Interview types varied but, in general, there were technical interviews and non-technical interviews. The technical interviews consisted of writing code ranging from reversing a string to bit manipulations to questions about polymorphism and object-oriented programming. There were also some OS questions thrown in (i.e. deadlock causes and prevention, mutexes and semaphores, etc.) The non-technical interviews involved questions about previous experience, items on my resume, and "What would you do in this situation?" type questions. Overall the day was a bit exhausting and a bit repetitive for the non-technical stuff, but it was definitely fun.

Interview Questions
    • Question difficulty varied; none stick out as "most difficult" or "unexpected".   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Huntsville, AL

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at ADTRAN in October 2014.

It is extensive: we started at 8:45 in the morning, and I was taken from room to room to interview with multiple groups of people. The first and last room consisted of managers for behavioral interviews, and two groups in between conducted technical interviews. The behavioral interviews are manageable, but the technical interviews were fairly difficult for me (which is likely why I did not get an offer). In the middle of all of this, I was treated to lunch where I was interviewed one-on-one by a higher-ranking manager. The interview process ended around 1pm.

Interview Questions
    • Design an algorithm that selects the closest n stars to one star.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Huntsville, AL

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at ADTRAN in September 2014.

First talk with two managers and they made a little personality check, and four rounds of technical interviews in a row with three groups including a lunch interview, many of the questions are about C++ fundamentals such as data structures, virtual functions and stuff, some group will ask you some pretty basic EE questions to test your knowledge with circuit. The last step is to talk with the HR and discuss about the incoming interviews and the existing offers and stuff.

Interview Questions
    • Some of them are about bit-manipulation problems in C++ and it is pretty low-level programming questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Huntsville, AL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Huntsville, AL

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at ADTRAN in September 2014.

Was first recruited at my University, and had a short interview. Few technical questions were asked at this point, and I was invited to interview in Huntsville in a few weeks. The onsite interview was a long day. I had 9 interviews, all with different departments. There were a few technical questions, but they were fairly basic. I asked a lot of questions about what each group did, but by the end of the day it all started to run together. Each interview was different. Some were with a single manager, but most were with a manager and a few of their engineers. The campus was very beautiful, and I got the impression that this is a very team-based workplace.

Interview Questions
    • Questions varied alot by team. One team asked about bit-manipulation, one team was more interested in object-oriented concepts.   Answer Question

QA Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at ADTRAN.

Phone interview by the manager, then phone interview by team member and on-site by everyone possible. Don't be surprised if an intern is taking your interview.Remain calm and composed on the interview day. May sure you brag about your achievements, most people appreciate that, although you are not master. Most people hiring will be told to interview same day like 5 min before, so don't be nervous about anything

Interview Questions
    • Questions are fairly easy based on the past project and experience   Answer Question
    They don't negotiate

Technical Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Huntsville, AL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at ADTRAN in July 2014.

I applied for this position through employee referral, who passed on my resume to the hiring manager. A week later, couple of people from the team interviewed me over the phone asking me about my prior experience from my resume. It lasted about 15-20 mins. I thought the next step would be a formal phone interview or something where they'd ask technical questions. But a week later, I was shocked when one of the recruiting coordinators at the company told me that they want me to come over onsite for the interview to meet their team. I was very excited about it. They flew me over for the interview with overnight stay at the nearby Best Western Plus hotel. The travel and accommodations were immaculate. It immediately gave me a great impression of the company. The following morning I was given an escort to the company in their own vehicle.

The interview was scheduled from 9am to 4pm with me being interviewed by their entire team consisting of about 8 people. The magnitude of the campus blew me away. Everyone was incredibly welcoming and made me feel right at home there. One of the engineers showed me around their labs, which was breathtaking. Most of them talked mainly about my prior experience and resume. Two of the eight engineers asked me some technical questions, which I was able to clear quite comfortably. They even took me out to lunch at a nearby chinese place. It was an incredible experience, even if the job is in Alabama!

Once the interviews were over, I asked the hiring manager as to when I can expect a decision. He said about two weeks. So I waited anxiously. But then three weeks went by and still no signs of me being told of a decision. I followed him up via email as to whether I am still under consideration or not. He replied a week later saying that I was. It gave me hope. I'd heard from others that if a company wants to reject you, they'd do it right away. If they're waiting a month or more and still not told you of a decision, then it's a good sign. So I kept waiting but still kept on applying in search of other opportunities. Then two months went by, and still no decision. I was starting to get really impatient. I sent the hiring manager an email and there was no response. I sent couple of HR people an email and they too never responded (one of them had an automated reply saying they'd quit!). I couldn't believe the sort of unprofessionalism from a company of this magnitude. No one knows the misery of going through this unless someone has gone through it, especially an international candidate who has visa restrictions.

Ultimately, I got an incredible job offer from a better computer networking company so it turned out superbly for me. It was a no-brainer decision. But all I ask for is to inform the candidates of a decision within a month tops, is that too much to ask? Even if its a reject, just say so so that we don't live in false hope. Thats when ADTRAN went down in my esteem. I'm glad not to be working for such an unprofessional company in the end, least of all in freaking Alabama!

Interview Questions
    • Most were straight forward questions from your resume. Technical questions pertained to IP addressing, Subnetting, OSI model and quite a few WAN-related questions.   Answer Question