AECOM

Relevance Date Difficulty

Engineer I Interview

Engineer I
Atlanta, GA

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at AECOM in September 2010.

Interview Details – I was made acquainted with this company firstly through an email from my collegiate advisory. I responded, and heard back very fast. From thence, the pace of hiring slowed down. An interview was set. The project I was being hired for was to start imminently, so I can safely say the interview was pretty easy. Interviewed by a panel of managers. All I needed was to display the familiarity with the principles needed for the project, and display confidence and charisma.

Interview Question – Nothing to me was perceived as difficult. A person should be prepared to ramify on any previous projects in detail.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate, but a colleague who did, did not receive anything more. They were told, the offer was set by HR.

Environmental Engineer Interview

Environmental Engineer
Arlington, VA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at AECOM in March 2013.

Interview Details – Interviewers were very friendly. I met with multiple people during each round of the interviewing, and they made sure to give me the opportunity to speak with employees who were working on projects I was the most interested in. I kept the same main contact throughout the process. Interviews were a combination of asking me about my background and interests as well as information about the company and giving me the chance to ask them about anything.

Interview Question – No unexpected questions.   Answer Question

Environmental Engineer Interview

Environmental Engineer

I interviewed at AECOM in March 2013.

Interview Details – The process was long, and took a while to hear back after submitting my resume. Also the online section of the interviews made the process very stressful. It would have been better to had just completed a phone interview or something of that nature. Overall though the process wasn't terrible.

Interview Question – Describe a situation in which you found that your results were not up to your professor's or supervisor's expectations. What happened? What action did you take?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Engineer Aid Interview

Engineer Aid

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at AECOM in August 2012.

Interview Details – After my intern position, they offered me a promotion and I took it.

Negotiation Details – Bio negotiation was possible

Civil Engineer Interview

Civil Engineer
Boston, MA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at AECOM.

Interview Details – Interviewed with 6 different individuals. They were all very easy going and welcoming with the exception of the hiring manager who grilled me a bit. All in all it went really well but it became apparent that they needed someone with an environmental background, which I did not have.

Interview Question – What was an example of a problem you had to quickly solve at your last job? (it was only hard because my previous job didn't require problem solving)   Answer Question

BIM Specialist III Interview

BIM Specialist III

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at AECOM.

Interview Details – Applied for position online several months before interview took place and did not receive a response. Contacted by a third-party recruiter in October attempting to fill the same position. Recruiter was helpful until AECOM indicated that they had received my resume and that he would not be paid in the event that I accepted an offer from them. By that time, I had made contact with the hiring manager at AECOM and set up an interview.

Interviews tended to be long (3+) hours and were very heavy on the details. They were upfront about the expectation that all employees remain billable, which was troubling for someone like myself who was coming from the I.T. world and was not used to working directly on projects.

AECOM required a lengthy online application. I did not object to this but I didn't like the fact that they required a salary history. I had not encountered that with other companies where I applied. They do call your references, so be sure to have those lined up.

Both interviews were with multiple people - 3-4 in each. Relaxed atmosphere, nice office, mostly friendly folks.

Interview Question – Describing the biggest challenge of my current job.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The initial salary offer was slightly below my current salary. The adjusted salary offer was the same as my current salary. I felt that the position was worth much more, considering the work that would have been cut out for me.

Financial consideration aside, the main reason for not taking the position was a comment made by one of the interviewers. I described aspects of my position as those of a manager, and the interviewer nearly jumped out of the chair to make it clear that I would not be any type of manager at AECOM and that the position would never, ever lead me down that kind of career path. It was probably the worst thing that could be said to a 30-something guy who is clearly at the mid-career point of his life.

Graduate Engineer Interview

Graduate Engineer
Houston, TX

I applied through college or university - interviewed at AECOM in April 2009.

Interview Details – Was brought in to talk to two senior managers in the Houston office.

Interview Question – Really were not any difficult questions.   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at AECOM.

Interview Details – Submitted resume online at company website. Received call from HR within a week and was scheduled for an inperson interview for the following week. On-site interview was with hiring manage, 3 Project Managers and senior leadership. Interview lasted for about 3 and half hours.
Questions were about technical and project management experience. Conversation revolved around previous projects and experience. Overall, everyone seemed nice and reasonable.

Interview Question – Not really. Although wasn't expecting direct question about salary expectation.   Answer Question

Benefits Analyst Interview

Benefits Analyst
Los Angeles, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 months - interviewed at AECOM in January 2013.

Interview Details – I was contacted though a recruiter that notified me about a opening that was about to be posted on their jobs board. The recruiter found my information because I had applied for a HR position that she told me I was over qualified for. My whole recruitment process ( or to get a rejection) took about 2.5 months. However I do believe this was due to the holiday season.

The people that I interviewed with were great people and I would have loved to work with them. They really did seem down to earth and overall I had a great interview. Generally I felt that my in face interviews went really well and I was told by one of the interviewers that while looking though all the resumes they received I was a top candidate. After hearing such high praise I felt confident that everything went well.

Now the bad...I left the in person interview feeling good and the next day I received a email from the recruiter telling me that the interview went well and they wanted me back for another interview the next week. I tried to contacted the recruiter (called and emailed) the following week and she kept on dragging her feet on scheduling the next interview. Then finally two weeks had passed and I heard nothing. So I emailed again to check in and I was informed that they were moving on.

I know a lot of things can change and recruiting is not easy. However I know they could have done better of informing me of my status. Also they have not told me I was a top candidate, telling me that it well and inviting for another interview. (which never happened)

Interview Question – Nothing too hard   Answer Question

Web Developer Interview

Web Developer

Interviewed at AECOM

Interview Details – Initially contacted from Recruiter after submitting the resume for the job. I got a call from the recruiter to discuss about some basic attributes of the job. Then, a telephonic interview happened with Hiring Manager which was about 30-45 minutes long and discussed about my projects and skills. Once, I passed the telephonic interview then a face to face interview was scheduled with Hiring manager and then director. The interview process was not so tough and long. The total f2f interview process took about couple of hours.

Interview Question – At the time of interview, mostly they asked some common questions about the web technologies.   Answer Question