AES Corporation Interview Questions

Updated Mar 6, 2015
Updated Mar 6, 2015

2.8

Executive Assistant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at AES Corporation.

The first interview was via telephone with the HR rep. The second interview was also via phone, and was with a panel of three interviewers. The third interview was face-to-face, and consisted of five people. The fourth interview was another face-to-face, and consisted of four people. At the last interview I was told that it was between myself and another applicant, and they would be making their decision within 3-4 days.

I believe it was five days later, I telephoned the HR rep to follow up, was told that they were discussing it right then, and I could expect a call shortly. I called two days later after receiving a call from AES (no message was left), and spoke with the HR rep and was told I would be called "right back". About a week after that, I received a very generic email saying that they had received my resume and that other candidates better fit their needs. I thought this was extremely unprofessional.

Interview Questions
    • Some behavioral questions, why do you want to work here, those types of things.   Answer Question

Administration Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at AES Corporation.

Initial communications were very streamlined; I knew where I was going, when and who to contact. The entire process was very simple and straightforward. I was notified of with whom I would be interviewing in advance, so it gave me an opportunity to do some background research on the people who would be interviewing me.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked if I wanted to stay in the position I was being considered for long-term. Mind you, the position was entry-level and when previously been asked what my 5 and 10-year goals were, they would not be in line to answering this question as 'yes.'   Answer Question

Sales Position Interview

Anonymous Employee in Roanoke, VA
    Anonymous Employee in Roanoke, VA

I applied online – interviewed at AES Corporation in July 2014.

The interview process is a three step process. The company seemed to be very friendly and my professional, however it was not a position that I desired.

Location and position not desirable

Senior Financial Analyst, Corporate FP&A Interview

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at AES Corporation in May 2014.

Applied online. Contacted by Hiring Manager (VP) for telephonic conversation. Standard questions on resume, example of an analytical experience, why AES, what are the commercial and country challenges organizations like AES face. Next, I was called for on site interview (full day - 7 hours). No information was given on the people who will interview or the format. After I insisted on the format, I was told that there will be a test (modeling).

On site interview: 45 mins with Hiring Manager face to face. Behavorial questions on different situations and current trends in energy industry.

Moved to the next room and given a laptop with Financial Modeling case and 2 hours to prepare (case given in the unexpected question below).

After that, 45 min lunch interview with two other team members from the Corporate Development/Acquisitions group. Experience based and why AES, Energy etc.

Back to office for another 45 min interview with the Managing Director. Values and Mission of AES? Tell me why I should NOT hire you? Failure that changed your life and how? Best course and why in MBA program? Company investing in $500M project in Columbia (current equity stake at 70%), shall we maintain, reduce or increase the stake? Tell me about a complex assignment/learning experience as if you're telling this to a 5 year old? A time were not able to meet expectations and your managers feedback?

Next -- Case presentation (totally unexpected).

Next - HR interview.. Skills and Behavioral.. Salary discussed

Next - Final interview with Global Head of Corporate FP&A

Interview Questions
    • Initial Investment = $200 M (20 Years – Straight Line Method)
      Capacity = 200 M MWH
      Total Production = 1795 MWH
      Expected Production is 60% = 1051
      Revenue for Gas = $40/MWH (No growth – For Simplicity)
      Revenue for Diesel = $45/MWH (No growth – For Simplicity)
      Fixed Revenue based on Reliability = 100%  $10 M, 95%  $5 M, 88%  $0.0 M
      Cost for Gas = $20/MWH
      Cost for Diesel = $25/MWH
      Average Cost = $20.5/MWH
      Growth for Average Cost = 1%
      Fixed Cost = $5 M
      Maintenance Cost = $2M (5, 10 and 15 Years – Straight Line Method)
      Tax Rate = 35%
      Repayment = 20 Years (Pay down to zero)
      Interest Payment = No interest in 1st Year

Debt Options:
      Japan - 80% - 8%
      Japan - 90% - 8.5%
      USA - 80% - 9%
      USA - 90% - 9.5%

Answer Below:
      1) Prepare income statement. Mix of Gas Vs. Diesel in the Average Cost
      2) NPV of the project and whether you should go ahead with it or not. What Financing option to use?
      3) IRR?

Other Questions:
      1) What should be the numerator and denominator of Free Cash Flow (After Tax Deduction)? What rate of return is important for the Equity holders?
      2) How would you get the cost of capital? Beta and risk free rate?
      3) What does the Repayment schedule look like?
      4) What is the methodology behind finding the mix of fuel sources? (Date Tables?)
      5) Why choose a bank in USA or Japan?
      6) What Financing option should be considered? What happens when the Debt goes up to 90%?

Answer Question

Administration Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at AES Corporation.

I interviewed for a different office in Cumberland, and was not hired for that position. However, and different division was hiring and was contacted to interview. The interview process and hiring process was painless.

Interview Questions
    • What is my knowledge of wind turbines? (which was nothing at the time)   Answer Question

Senior Accountant Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at AES Corporation in June 2013.

Nice interview, balance between personal and technical.

Interview Questions

Due to relocation was not desirable , the package was not a really good one too.

Senior Accountant Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at AES Corporation.

Use recruiter is easier to get the interview opportunity

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

I applied through other source – interviewed at AES Corporation.

Internal hire, so process was shortened, but much the same for outside. Basic behavioural about interest in the position, and a few questions to gauge your depth of understanding of global power markets where AES has operations. One business case, very open ended.

Interview Questions
    • If you were a developer for AES, where would you develop a project, what type of power project would it be, and why?   View Answer
    Negotiation was smooth but hard to get terms in writing in my offer. Had to push back a couple times to ask them to include terms in the document. Was awkward, but the company in general is not formal about processes, including employment contracts.

Corporate Role Interview

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

After an initial phone screen, an onsite interview was conducted. I was advised I'd be speaking with a number of folks in several departments, however, no schedule was provided prior to the interviews and I was in the dark on who I was meeting with and at what time. Subsequently, the time slot for my interview went over as it appeared they were unable to manage the time allotted for each meeting. Everyone I met was friendly and appeared to enjoy the work they do, but they all honed in on how I felt about working long/extra hours and how I balanced my time. Additionally, each interviewer asked comparable questions and I had to repeat the same answers 3 to 4 times. They had a standard set of questions, but it did not appear the interviewers coordinated who would ask what, but instead they all asked the same thing. By the end of the interview, I was unsure on if this was a place I wanted to work. After spending 4 hours with AES and away from my paying job, I was never even afforded a form letter that I was not selected. It was like a date telling me they'd call me only to never see them again. If this is how they treat candidates, I'd be weary on how they treat employees. Proceed with caution.

Interview Questions
    • Very typical interview questions: Tell me about yourself, give me your history, etc. No behavioral interviewing questions   Answer Question

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a dayinterviewed at AES Corporation in October 2010.

An outside recruiter called about the job and set up a telephone interview. The interview was with a Vice President and Managing Director for a consultant-to-hire position. The VP asked most of the questions which were fairly basic. I had about 70% of the qualifications they wanted for the job. I was hired as a consultant and then offered a "permanent" position a month later. It was after accepting the offer for the permanent position that the trouble started, but that's a story for the company review section.