AK Steel Holding Corporation Interview Questions

Interviews for Top Jobs at AK Steel Holding Corporation

Electrical Engineering "Hourly" Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Coshocton, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Coshocton, OH

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at AK Steel Holding Corporation.

Passed a resume to a plant manager at a college function. Got a call same day from the hiring manager. Was set up for an online-onsite test. Came back and took a written test. Was interviewed with two engineers who would be my bosses. Background check. Offer made. Pre employment physical....

1st. Employees/Management. For all the negative remarks people give this company across the web, I disagree, they are all good down to earth people and are simply concerned with the safety & growth of the company. I have not witnessed anything I could complain about in the slightest.

2nd. Online Test. This test takes about 1.5hrs. It is concerned with general IQ & safety, it is nothing to be worried about.

3rd. Written Test. This is something to GET READY FOR!! Know your ladder logic, and most anything else. It is 207MC questions, no real hard formulas. But brush up & get sleep, it's gonna be a long morning!

4th. Background Check. I did have a felony theft from 6years ago, I served no time & have nothing else on my record. This was explained & considered before an offer was extended.

Pre Employment Physical does do a hair test, so for anyone leaving a college in Colorado... should be aware of this so not to waste companies time...

They want safe, adaptable, reliable employees that can learn.

Interview Questions
    No need to add anything, this company seems to take fine care of employees.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Middletown, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Middletown, OH

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at AK Steel Holding Corporation in May 2014.

Had one 30 minute phone interview. Was called back a few days later for an on-site interview with both HR and Department Manager.

First interview was personality based, fairly generic and what you would expect of any first round Human Resources interview.

Second interview was more specific to find out if you could contribute to the department and give them what they were looking for.

Interview Questions
    • Manager gave a specific project he was interested in pursuing that required skills way outside of that department's function and asked how I would be able to contribute.   Answer Question
    Intern pay is based on class standing.

Engineering Co-Op Interview

interviewed at AK Steel Holding Corporation in December 2013.

There was a phone interview and then an in person interview. The in person interview was with HR and also several other people at different areas that were looking for co-ops.

Interview Questions
    • Mostly general questions about school and why I wanted to work there.   Answer Question
    No negotiations. I was given a salary and that was it.

Environmental Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ashland, KY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ashland, KY

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a dayinterviewed at AK Steel Holding Corporation in November 2009.

Referred by a reputable technical placement agency; personal reference was key door opener to interview despite company history of not working with agencies. One-on-one interview was the decision maker, as was the introduction to key staff supporting the hiring manager who performed the interview. Urgency was a factor as the interview was held prior to Thanksgiving holiday, on the manager's scheduled day off.

Interview Questions
    • What is your most rewarding achievement?   View Answer
    Offer letter via e-mail; one counter-offer required to achieve agreement within 1-week of on-site interview- impressive turnaround after 30-day delay caused by agency affliation.

Engineering Co-Op Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dayton, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dayton, OH

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at AK Steel Holding Corporation in November 2009.

Union issues caused awkward interview.

Interview Questions
    • Asked if I had issues working in a work environment with labor disputes.   Answer Question