AK Steel Holding Corporation Interview Questions

Updated Aug 4, 2015

2.6

Machine Operator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Middletown, OH

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at AK Steel Holding Corporation (Middletown, OH).

Interview

Interview was in a group setting at the time. Now it's like your sitting in a jury box,only your the one on trial. Puts you through a series of testing. Then they decide, if you pass you shod be okay for a job. If you dont, you cannot aply for another year.

Metallurgical Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at AK Steel Holding Corporation.

Interview

They came to my schools career fair, I submitted my resume, and we set up an interview. It went pretty well, he asked me fairly general questions, aka how my classes were going, which ones were my favorite, etc. Told me he would get back to me in a couple weeks if they decided to take it further. They contacted me and flew me out to the plant for an on site interview/tour. Asked a couple technical questions. Called me a few days later and offered me the position.

Interview Questions

• What was your strongest metallurgical class at school?   1 Answer

Electrical Engineering Co-Op Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Butler, PA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at AK Steel Holding Corporation (Butler, PA).

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter and scheduled for a phone interview. After the phone interview i was scheduled for a second interview a week later. About two weeks after the second interview, i was contacted with an offer.

Interview Questions

• Questions were straight forward. The interview questions were all about elaborating on your relevant coursework and precious intern/work experiences.   Answer Question

Negotiation

non-negotiable for Interns / co-ops

Experiences of Others Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dearborn, MI

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at AK Steel Holding Corporation (Dearborn, MI) in September 2014.

Interview

Basically a formality. If you are called in you have already been green lighted to take a physical and drug screen........................................ fifty word minimum. a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a

Interview Questions

• Can you pass a drug test? and, Are you a drug user?....and, Tell me about your drug use.   1 Answer

Electrical Engineering "Hourly" Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Coshocton, OH

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at AK Steel Holding Corporation (Coshocton, OH).

Interview

Passed a resume to a plant manager at a college function. Got a call same day from the hiring manager. Was set up for an online-onsite test. Came back and took a written test. Was interviewed with two engineers who would be my bosses. Background check. Offer made. Pre employment physical.... 1st. Employees/Management. For all the negative remarks people give this company across the web, I disagree, they are all good down to earth people and are simply concerned with the safety & growth of the company. I have not witnessed anything I could complain about in the slightest. 2nd. Online Test. This test takes about 1.5hrs. It is concerned with general IQ & safety, it is nothing to be worried about. 3rd. Written Test. This is something to GET READY FOR!! Know your ladder logic, and most anything else. It is 207MC questions, no real hard formulas. But brush up & get sleep, it's gonna be a long morning! 4th. Background Check. I did have a felony theft from 6years ago, I served no time & have nothing else on my record. This was explained & considered before an offer was extended. Pre Employment Physical does do a hair test, so for anyone leaving a college in Colorado... should be aware of this so not to waste companies time... They want safe, adaptable, reliable employees that can learn.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No need to add anything, this company seems to take fine care of employees.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Middletown, OH

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at AK Steel Holding Corporation (Middletown, OH) in May 2014.

Interview

Had one 30 minute phone interview. Was called back a few days later for an on-site interview with both HR and Department Manager. First interview was personality based, fairly generic and what you would expect of any first round Human Resources interview. Second interview was more specific to find out if you could contribute to the department and give them what they were looking for.

Interview Questions

• Manager gave a specific project he was interested in pursuing that required skills way outside of that department's function and asked how I would be able to contribute.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Intern pay is based on class standing.

Operations Manager Middletown OH Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Middletown, OH

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at AK Steel Holding Corporation (Middletown, OH) in February 2014.

Interview

I was cold called by AK Steel by the means of a military headhunter. I had a 20 minute phone interview for my first interview. Second interview was a face to face for about a hour. Then a formal offer. The entire process took about 3 weeks.

Interview Questions

• Do you have problems or concerns with working in a highly industrial environment? How important is safety to you? And how do you feel about enforcing rules   Answer Question

Negotiation

I didnt negotiate and I wish I would have. It was my first job out of the military

Engineering Co-Op Interview

Application

interviewed at AK Steel Holding Corporation in December 2013.

Interview

There was a phone interview and then an in person interview. The in person interview was with HR and also several other people at different areas that were looking for co-ops.

Interview Questions

• Mostly general questions about school and why I wanted to work there.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiations. I was given a salary and that was it.

Section Manager of Maintenance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Butler, PA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at AK Steel Holding Corporation (Butler, PA) in October 2013.

Interview

It was very relaxed setting. Phone interview with HR. In person interviews with Area manager, HR manager and the plant manager. The interviewers were are very personable and professional. They were also very helpful and forthcoming with my questions. I was asked about my previous experiences in various settings. I was also put into several situations dealing with subordinates (union). Only thing they did not mention was the high turnover rate of shift managers.

Interview Questions

• Have I disciplined an employee that did not meet expectations?   1 Answer
    • Would you tolerate an employee under the influence of alcohol?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Since I used a recruiter for the job, the negotiation phase was minimal. I knew the salary range and benefits ahead of time. My initial offer was almost the maximum salary range. There was no need for further negotiation.

Labor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Follansbee, WV

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at AK Steel Holding Corporation (Follansbee, WV) in June 2013.

Interview

Not bad ,silly questions, some questions didn't make much sense, had worked there prior so don't understand why I had to interview again but they still have to do the same thing as a new employees. Ok

Interview Questions

• What s your big accomplishment   1 Answer