AKQA

Getting the Interview

31 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

IT Interview

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 days - interviewed at AKQA in February 2014.

Interview Details – I knew it wasn't a good sign when the Hiring Manager says "his linked-in profile is very limited" but based on his resume I'm "willing" to interview him. I use my linked in as a social media not as a resume platform so "yes" it's limited to what little I put there. Also he ask why I'm in the same position for 10+ years. Maybe because I like what I'm doing???
Anyways, I'm not tainted in anyway as I have a job already but looking for something better. AKQA didn't offer me a position and if they did I would second guess myself, read some of the ratings and from my first hand experience.

Interview Question – What is the most awesome thing you'll ever discovered.   View Answer

Program Director Interview

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at AKQA.

Interview Details – The recruitment process was fast.The position was published in Linkedin. There were couple of phone screenings and phone interviews.If I remember it correctly - 1-2 phone screens and 1 phone interview.

They called me for in-person interview. The in-person interview was lengthy. It went on for 6 hours and I was interviewed by 9 folks. It seemed I was interviewing for Google.

Some of the questions were circled around technology. Others were around planning for programs and projects.I being a technologist and a project manager , It was easy for me to sail through these queries. The queries were around identity and access management (SAML,SSO) and planning for such projects. What was surprising is that - The JD would mention of experience in BEA and ATG, but they do not have expertise or have ever worked on BEA or ATG.

Interview Question – Nothing was difficult.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – It started like a ping-pong game. There were few discussions around it. They were really interested in bringing me in.

Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 months - interviewed at AKQA.

Interview Details – Reached out to me after an internal referral. Two rounds of phone interviews and emails with HR. Very thorough personality questioning. Were very good about stating expectations and completely willing to address all of my questions. Was the best interview process I've experienced thus far. Easily the most knowledgeable and friendliest HR staff.

Interview Question – To assess the role of social in the future. Such a broad question, but really made me think.   Answer Question

Program Director Interview

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at AKQA in January 2014.

Interview Details – The process was very slow moving. AKQA's recruiter contacted me in asking for a phone chat, and once it was scheduled she ended up flaking on me 2 minutes before the scheduled call. It took TWO months for her to get the call rescheduled with me. After the call, she had me come in to meet with the head of PM. The conversation went well, but then it took another FULL month to schedule me to come in and meet with the rest of the team I'd be working with.

I could tell by speaking to the team there that they were harried, overworked and overstressed, though doing good work. After a complete background check, they made me an offer pretty quickly thereafter, which was just an OK offer - basically matching my current compensation rather than trying to do better. The recruiter did not respond to my request to share contact info for the other team members I met with, nor more details about the health benefits offered...I'm sure she'd already moved on to the next job she was trying to fill.

Interview Question – The account I was interviewing for had lost 6 project managers in as many months. The head of PM asked me what I would do to prevent that kind of turnover in the future and ensure the success of the PMs on the account moving forward. I asked what the reason(s) were that the PMs hadn't been successful, and the response was, "If we knew that, we could solve the problem ourselves!"   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I decided not to accept the offer, as I don't relish late nights and holiday/weekend work at this stage of my career, and it's clear that's what's required at AKQA. I wrote a thoughtful note to the recruiter thanking them for the offer and explaining my reasons for turning it down. Several days later I've still gotten no response at all. Recruiting 101: Maintain your pipeline!

Senior Recruiter Interview

San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at AKQA in November 2013.

Interview Details – Multiple phone interviews, two rounds of in-person interviews (although most interviewers declined to actually show up)

Interview Question – The most difficult phase of the interview was trying to answer the same darn question in different ways; I'm surprised by recruiter colleagues are so totally inept   Answer Question

Creative Developer Interview

Creative Developer
San Francisco, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at AKQA in September 2013.

Interview Details – I applied through a reference. Got an initial email showing interest in my profile. They did a phone interview to learn about my skills, interest and projects. Onsite meeting with upper management was pretty casual and conversational. As it was for the internship role, they were pretty easy compared to a full-time role.

Interview Question – How do you define design?   Answer Question

Senior Project Manager Interview

Senior Project Manager
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at AKQA in July 2013.

Interview Details – Phone interview first with HR then with the director of the department. Once those are done and you are successful you are invited to an interview in person.

Interview Question – Nothing out of the ordinary - all very standard they just want to understand your experience and ensure you are a good fit culturally.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Limited negotiation opportunities.

Very Difficult Interview

Creative Recruiter Interview

San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at AKQA in August 2013.

Interview Details – Recruiting Director reached out to me on LI saying had heard many good things about me and wanted to bring me on their team. Multiple phone interviews, two in person interviews. the challenge wasn't getting the interview, it was trying to keep the attention of the people who were interviewing me. Everyone seems distracted. Job was presented as a hard sell. Received verbal offer and start date and never heard from them again. I was dealing directly wtih the Recruiting Director, I found this to be extremely unprofessional.

Interview Question – We have a very poor reputation in this industry, how would you overcome that to find interested candidates?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I received a verbal offer and was prepared to negotiate but never heard from them again.

Program Manager Interview

Program Manager
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at AKQA.

Interview Details – Horrible interview and follow-through process

Interview Question – This interview process did not have to drag on this long. Back and forth initially w/recruiter(s), then multiple convos w/the hiring manager, followed by an onsite meeting of folks who weren't actually sure which position I was interviewing for and client I would support, followed by one "primary" recruiter who leaves the company and a drop in communication to whom I should be in contact w/me, followed by a "shifting of strategy" to move the position to another location.

I realize that this is an agency environment, but my gosh, just poor execution throughout.
  Answer Question

Campaign Manager Interview

Campaign Manager
San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at AKQA.

Interview Details – Recruiter was friendly. Met with 4-5 people and they were to make a decision. General questions, though one person did not look like she wanted to be there.

Negotiation Details – They sent me an offer without telling me beforehand what the offer would entail. Lowers your negotiating power as they need to redo all the paperwork if you try to get a higher starting salary or more vacation time.

I negotiated anyway and didn't care that they "had to redo all the paperwork."

Interviews for Top Jobs at AKQA

Worked for AKQA? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at AKQA interview questions and advice. All 31 interview reviews posted anonymously by AKQA employees and interview candidates.