AKQA Interview Questions

Updated Apr 19, 2015

2.6

Creative Developer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at AKQA.

Interview

A long process of talking to several people a couple times. Starting with a phone interview, then talking to several members of the team I was interviewing for. I remember I was really sick that day and had to leave the interview early. I guess they liked me anyway, because I got the job.

Interview Questions

• what are my weaknesses with coding   1 Answer

Negotiation

I did negotiate for a little more

Associate Creative Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at AKQA (Atlanta, GA).

Interview

Interview started with an initial phone screen, recruiter was very professional, personable. Based on my communication with this individual I felt it may have been some indication the hiring manager and team were similar in the experience. The office is currently is also in growth mode to build their footprint and competitive with other digital competitors.

Interview Questions

• Questions were very easy. Nothing that through me off guard. Questions like: what is your experience working with clients,? Have you participated in new business development or pitch?   1 Answer

Associate User Experience Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at AKQA (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

I came in through the apprenticeship program. It was a very competitive program, but let me get to know the company and the culture before I started. Once the 3 month program was over, we gave final presentations and half of us were hired.

Campaign Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at AKQA (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Initial phone interview that outlines the job description. This is then followed by an in-person appointment to come in and meet with people in the teams you are likely to work with. Typically, that consists of one or two senior account executives and usually a senior campaign manager. As a CM, you'll be reporting to the AE more or less, they would want to get a sense of your work ethic, experience and overall competencies in skills like Excel and PPT.

Interview Questions

• How could you improve the ROAS on a given account?   1 Answer

Negotiation

You can negotiate your salary up to a certain limit. CM's typically come in with a $50k base salary, with a high being upwards of around $56k.

Art Director Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at AKQA in June 2014.

Interview

Telephone call. Very straight forward. The person I interviewed with was lovely and made me feel very comfortable. Took only about 15 minutes and I got all the details I needed.

Interview Questions

• Nothing strange, really just about expectations and past experiences.   Answer Question

Media Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at AKQA (San Francisco, CA) in April 2014.

Interview

The initial communication was on LinkedIn, then over email. Next was a pleasant phone interview with HR. After that was a phone interview with the person who is the manager for the open position. Unfortunately, the phone interview was rather short. They explained that they don't care for phone interviews and would rather I come in for a meeting. Sounded fine to me. I was eager to learn about the position and see the offices.

When I arrived for the in-person interviews, I was taken on a quick tour of the offices. Seems like they recently moved to a new office building and everything looked pretty new. Overall, it seemed like a very open-plan office, with employees sitting in close quarters. I didn't see any cubicles or dividers for privacy or sound isolation. I can imagine it probably gets distracting.

HR set up interviews with two team members and the manager. The team members were pleasant and seemed sincere. The one person was more on the serious side, keeping a somewhat tough tone throughout. I felt like they were certainly testing me at times, which is part of the process I guess.

For me, the most important person I was there to see was the person who would be my manager. I was eager to finally learn a bit about the position and their expectations. First off, I was surprised when they strolled into the conference room dressed in casual, sporty/workout-style clothes. And even more surprised when they said they were double-booked and spent literally just a few minutes with me. In the end, I was still totally in the dark about all the important details of the position.

Program Director Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at AKQA.

Interview

The recruitment process was fast.The position was published in Linkedin. There were couple of phone screenings and phone interviews.If I remember it correctly - 1-2 phone screens and 1 phone interview.

They called me for in-person interview. The in-person interview was lengthy. It went on for 6 hours and I was interviewed by 9 folks. It seemed I was interviewing for Google.

Some of the questions were circled around technology. Others were around planning for programs and projects.I being a technologist and a project manager , It was easy for me to sail through these queries. The queries were around identity and access management (SAML,SSO) and planning for such projects. What was surprising is that - The JD would mention of experience in BEA and ATG, but they do not have expertise or have ever worked on BEA or ATG.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

It started like a ping-pong game. There were few discussions around it. They were really interested in bringing me in.

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at AKQA.

Interview

Reached out to me after an internal referral. Two rounds of phone interviews and emails with HR. Very thorough personality questioning. Were very good about stating expectations and completely willing to address all of my questions. Was the best interview process I've experienced thus far. Easily the most knowledgeable and friendliest HR staff.

Interview Questions

• To assess the role of social in the future. Such a broad question, but really made me think.   Answer Question

IT Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at AKQA in February 2014.

Interview

I knew it wasn't a good sign when the Hiring Manager says "his linked-in profile is very limited" but based on his resume I'm "willing" to interview him. I use my linked in as a social media not as a resume platform so "yes" it's limited to what little I put there. Also he ask why I'm in the same position for 10+ years. Maybe because I like what I'm doing???
    Anyways, I'm not tainted in anyway as I have a job already but looking for something better. AKQA didn't offer me a position and if they did I would second guess myself, read some of the ratings and from my first hand experience.

Interview Questions

• What is the most awesome thing you'll ever discovered.   1 Answer

Program Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at AKQA (San Francisco, CA) in January 2014.

Interview

The process was very slow moving. AKQA's recruiter contacted me in asking for a phone chat, and once it was scheduled she ended up flaking on me 2 minutes before the scheduled call. It took TWO months for her to get the call rescheduled with me. After the call, she had me come in to meet with the head of PM. The conversation went well, but then it took another FULL month to schedule me to come in and meet with the rest of the team I'd be working with.

I could tell by speaking to the team there that they were harried, overworked and overstressed, though doing good work. After a complete background check, they made me an offer pretty quickly thereafter, which was just an OK offer - basically matching my current compensation rather than trying to do better. The recruiter did not respond to my request to share contact info for the other team members I met with, nor more details about the health benefits offered...I'm sure she'd already moved on to the next job she was trying to fill.

Interview Questions

• The account I was interviewing for had lost 6 project managers in as many months. The head of PM asked me what I would do to prevent that kind of turnover in the future and ensure the success of the PMs on the account moving forward. I asked what the reason(s) were that the PMs hadn't been successful, and the response was, "If we knew that, we could solve the problem ourselves!"   Answer Question

I decided not to accept the offer, as I don't relish late nights and holiday/weekend work at this stage of my career, and it's clear that's what's required at AKQA. I wrote a thoughtful note to the recruiter thanking them for the offer and explaining my reasons for turning it down. Several days later I've still gotten no response at all. Recruiting 101: Maintain your pipeline!