AKQA

Relevance Date Difficulty

Associate User Experience Designer Interview

Associate User Experience Designer
San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at AKQA.

Interview Details – I came in through the apprenticeship program. It was a very competitive program, but let me get to know the company and the culture before I started. Once the 3 month program was over, we gave final presentations and half of us were hired.

Interview Question – When have you failed? How did you react?   Answer Question

Campaign Manager Interview

Campaign Manager
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at AKQA.

Interview Details – Initial phone interview that outlines the job description. This is then followed by an in-person appointment to come in and meet with people in the teams you are likely to work with. Typically, that consists of one or two senior account executives and usually a senior campaign manager. As a CM, you'll be reporting to the AE more or less, they would want to get a sense of your work ethic, experience and overall competencies in skills like Excel and PPT.

Interview Question – How could you improve the ROAS on a given account?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – You can negotiate your salary up to a certain limit. CM's typically come in with a $50k base salary, with a high being upwards of around $56k.

Media Manager Interview

Media Manager
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at AKQA in April 2014.

Interview Details – The initial communication was on LinkedIn, then over email. Next was a pleasant phone interview with HR. After that was a phone interview with the person who is the manager for the open position. Unfortunately, the phone interview was rather short. They explained that they don't care for phone interviews and would rather I come in for a meeting. Sounded fine to me. I was eager to learn about the position and see the offices.

When I arrived for the in-person interviews, I was taken on a quick tour of the offices. Seems like they recently moved to a new office building and everything looked pretty new. Overall, it seemed like a very open-plan office, with employees sitting in close quarters. I didn't see any cubicles or dividers for privacy or sound isolation. I can imagine it probably gets distracting.

HR set up interviews with two team members and the manager. The team members were pleasant and seemed sincere. The one person was more on the serious side, keeping a somewhat tough tone throughout. I felt like they were certainly testing me at times, which is part of the process I guess.

For me, the most important person I was there to see was the person who would be my manager. I was eager to finally learn a bit about the position and their expectations. First off, I was surprised when they strolled into the conference room dressed in casual, sporty/workout-style clothes. And even more surprised when they said they were double-booked and spent literally just a few minutes with me. In the end, I was still totally in the dark about all the important details of the position.

Interview Questions

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Associate Project Manager Interview

Associate Project Manager
San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at AKQA in August 2013.

Interview Details – I sent my resume to a friend the next day I got a call from a recruiter to set up an interview. They kept changing the interview dates and times in a very unprofessional way.

Interview Question – what are your favorite apps.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – there was none. they said "here is what we can pay you" it was above the average listed in this site so i took it.

Junior Designer Interview

Junior Designer
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at AKQA in March 2013.

Interview Details – Very little information or insights on the potential growth within the company. Absolutely no communication afterwards until about 2 months after interview.

Interview Question – Show me your most used social media account   Answer Question

IT Interview

IT

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 days - interviewed at AKQA in February 2014.

Interview Details – I knew it wasn't a good sign when the Hiring Manager says "his linked-in profile is very limited" but based on his resume I'm "willing" to interview him. I use my linked in as a social media not as a resume platform so "yes" it's limited to what little I put there. Also he ask why I'm in the same position for 10+ years. Maybe because I like what I'm doing???
Anyways, I'm not tainted in anyway as I have a job already but looking for something better. AKQA didn't offer me a position and if they did I would second guess myself, read some of the ratings and from my first hand experience.

Interview Question – What is the most awesome thing you'll ever discovered.   View Answer

Program Director Interview

Program Director

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at AKQA.

Interview Details – The recruitment process was fast.The position was published in Linkedin. There were couple of phone screenings and phone interviews.If I remember it correctly - 1-2 phone screens and 1 phone interview.

They called me for in-person interview. The in-person interview was lengthy. It went on for 6 hours and I was interviewed by 9 folks. It seemed I was interviewing for Google.

Some of the questions were circled around technology. Others were around planning for programs and projects.I being a technologist and a project manager , It was easy for me to sail through these queries. The queries were around identity and access management (SAML,SSO) and planning for such projects. What was surprising is that - The JD would mention of experience in BEA and ATG, but they do not have expertise or have ever worked on BEA or ATG.

Interview Question – Nothing was difficult.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – It started like a ping-pong game. There were few discussions around it. They were really interested in bringing me in.

Analyst Interview

Analyst

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 months - interviewed at AKQA.

Interview Details – Reached out to me after an internal referral. Two rounds of phone interviews and emails with HR. Very thorough personality questioning. Were very good about stating expectations and completely willing to address all of my questions. Was the best interview process I've experienced thus far. Easily the most knowledgeable and friendliest HR staff.

Interview Question – To assess the role of social in the future. Such a broad question, but really made me think.   Answer Question

Program Director Interview

Program Director
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at AKQA in January 2014.

Interview Details – The process was very slow moving. AKQA's recruiter contacted me in asking for a phone chat, and once it was scheduled she ended up flaking on me 2 minutes before the scheduled call. It took TWO months for her to get the call rescheduled with me. After the call, she had me come in to meet with the head of PM. The conversation went well, but then it took another FULL month to schedule me to come in and meet with the rest of the team I'd be working with.

I could tell by speaking to the team there that they were harried, overworked and overstressed, though doing good work. After a complete background check, they made me an offer pretty quickly thereafter, which was just an OK offer - basically matching my current compensation rather than trying to do better. The recruiter did not respond to my request to share contact info for the other team members I met with, nor more details about the health benefits offered...I'm sure she'd already moved on to the next job she was trying to fill.

Interview Question – The account I was interviewing for had lost 6 project managers in as many months. The head of PM asked me what I would do to prevent that kind of turnover in the future and ensure the success of the PMs on the account moving forward. I asked what the reason(s) were that the PMs hadn't been successful, and the response was, "If we knew that, we could solve the problem ourselves!"   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I decided not to accept the offer, as I don't relish late nights and holiday/weekend work at this stage of my career, and it's clear that's what's required at AKQA. I wrote a thoughtful note to the recruiter thanking them for the offer and explaining my reasons for turning it down. Several days later I've still gotten no response at all. Recruiting 101: Maintain your pipeline!

Senior Recruiter Interview

Senior Recruiter
San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at AKQA in November 2013.

Interview Details – Multiple phone interviews, two rounds of in-person interviews (although most interviewers declined to actually show up)

Interview Question – The most difficult phase of the interview was trying to answer the same darn question in different ways; I'm surprised by recruiter colleagues are so totally inept   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at AKQA

Worked for AKQA? Contribute to the Community!