AKQA

Relevance Date Difficulty

Campaign Manager Interview

Campaign Manager
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at AKQA.

Interview Details – Initial phone interview that outlines the job description. This is then followed by an in-person appointment to come in and meet with people in the teams you are likely to work with. Typically, that consists of one or two senior account executives and usually a senior campaign manager. As a CM, you'll be reporting to the AE more or less, they would want to get a sense of your work ethic, experience and overall competencies in skills like Excel and PPT.

Interview Question – How could you improve the ROAS on a given account?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – You can negotiate your salary up to a certain limit. CM's typically come in with a $50k base salary, with a high being upwards of around $56k.

Media Manager Interview

Media Manager
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at AKQA in April 2014.

Interview Details – The initial communication was on LinkedIn, then over email. Next was a pleasant phone interview with HR. After that was a phone interview with the person who is the manager for the open position. Unfortunately, the phone interview was rather short. They explained that they don't care for phone interviews and would rather I come in for a meeting. Sounded fine to me. I was eager to learn about the position and see the offices.

When I arrived for the in-person interviews, I was taken on a quick tour of the offices. Seems like they recently moved to a new office building and everything looked pretty new. Overall, it seemed like a very open-plan office, with employees sitting in close quarters. I didn't see any cubicles or dividers for privacy or sound isolation. I can imagine it probably gets distracting.

HR set up interviews with two team members and the manager. The team members were pleasant and seemed sincere. The one person was more on the serious side, keeping a somewhat tough tone throughout. I felt like they were certainly testing me at times, which is part of the process I guess.

For me, the most important person I was there to see was the person who would be my manager. I was eager to finally learn a bit about the position and their expectations. First off, I was surprised when they strolled into the conference room dressed in casual, sporty/workout-style clothes. And even more surprised when they said they were double-booked and spent literally just a few minutes with me. In the end, I was still totally in the dark about all the important details of the position.

Interview Questions

Associate Project Manager Interview

Associate Project Manager
San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at AKQA in August 2013.

Interview Details – I sent my resume to a friend the next day I got a call from a recruiter to set up an interview. They kept changing the interview dates and times in a very unprofessional way.

Interview Question – what are your favorite apps.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – there was none. they said "here is what we can pay you" it was above the average listed in this site so i took it.

Junior Designer Interview

Junior Designer
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at AKQA in March 2013.

Interview Details – Very little information or insights on the potential growth within the company. Absolutely no communication afterwards until about 2 months after interview.

Interview Question – Show me your most used social media account   Answer Question

Program Director Interview

Program Director
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at AKQA in January 2014.

Interview Details – The process was very slow moving. AKQA's recruiter contacted me in asking for a phone chat, and once it was scheduled she ended up flaking on me 2 minutes before the scheduled call. It took TWO months for her to get the call rescheduled with me. After the call, she had me come in to meet with the head of PM. The conversation went well, but then it took another FULL month to schedule me to come in and meet with the rest of the team I'd be working with.

I could tell by speaking to the team there that they were harried, overworked and overstressed, though doing good work. After a complete background check, they made me an offer pretty quickly thereafter, which was just an OK offer - basically matching my current compensation rather than trying to do better. The recruiter did not respond to my request to share contact info for the other team members I met with, nor more details about the health benefits offered...I'm sure she'd already moved on to the next job she was trying to fill.

Interview Question – The account I was interviewing for had lost 6 project managers in as many months. The head of PM asked me what I would do to prevent that kind of turnover in the future and ensure the success of the PMs on the account moving forward. I asked what the reason(s) were that the PMs hadn't been successful, and the response was, "If we knew that, we could solve the problem ourselves!"   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I decided not to accept the offer, as I don't relish late nights and holiday/weekend work at this stage of my career, and it's clear that's what's required at AKQA. I wrote a thoughtful note to the recruiter thanking them for the offer and explaining my reasons for turning it down. Several days later I've still gotten no response at all. Recruiting 101: Maintain your pipeline!

Senior Recruiter Interview

Senior Recruiter
San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at AKQA in November 2013.

Interview Details – Multiple phone interviews, two rounds of in-person interviews (although most interviewers declined to actually show up)

Interview Question – The most difficult phase of the interview was trying to answer the same darn question in different ways; I'm surprised by recruiter colleagues are so totally inept   Answer Question

Creative Developer Interview

Creative Developer
San Francisco, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at AKQA in September 2013.

Interview Details – I applied through a reference. Got an initial email showing interest in my profile. They did a phone interview to learn about my skills, interest and projects. Onsite meeting with upper management was pretty casual and conversational. As it was for the internship role, they were pretty easy compared to a full-time role.

Interview Question – How do you define design?   Answer Question

Senior Project Manager Interview

Senior Project Manager
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at AKQA in July 2013.

Interview Details – Phone interview first with HR then with the director of the department. Once those are done and you are successful you are invited to an interview in person.

Interview Question – Nothing out of the ordinary - all very standard they just want to understand your experience and ensure you are a good fit culturally.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Limited negotiation opportunities.

Very Difficult Interview

Creative Recruiter Interview

Creative Recruiter
San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at AKQA in August 2013.

Interview Details – Recruiting Director reached out to me on LI saying had heard many good things about me and wanted to bring me on their team. Multiple phone interviews, two in person interviews. the challenge wasn't getting the interview, it was trying to keep the attention of the people who were interviewing me. Everyone seems distracted. Job was presented as a hard sell. Received verbal offer and start date and never heard from them again. I was dealing directly wtih the Recruiting Director, I found this to be extremely unprofessional.

Interview Question – We have a very poor reputation in this industry, how would you overcome that to find interested candidates?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I received a verbal offer and was prepared to negotiate but never heard from them again.

Program Manager Interview

Program Manager
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at AKQA.

Interview Details – Horrible interview and follow-through process

Interview Question – This interview process did not have to drag on this long. Back and forth initially w/recruiter(s), then multiple convos w/the hiring manager, followed by an onsite meeting of folks who weren't actually sure which position I was interviewing for and client I would support, followed by one "primary" recruiter who leaves the company and a drop in communication to whom I should be in contact w/me, followed by a "shifting of strategy" to move the position to another location.

I realize that this is an agency environment, but my gosh, just poor execution throughout.
  Answer Question

Worked for AKQA? Contribute to the Community!