ALDI Area Manager Interview Questions

Updated Jun 30, 2014

3.6

13 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Area Manager Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at ALDI in July 2009.

I met the company during a university recruiting event. They were lookin for mainly graduates only and you could easily tell. I went to the interview next day and spoke with the director of operations that hired the people. I came back for an on site interview with a group of people and they took us out to lunch and met with several different people throughout the day. Very long day.

Interview Questions
  • How would you respond to being the boss of a 45 year old store manager?   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for ALDI

Area Manager Interview

Group Interview, Meeting an existing area manager in store, personality assessment, final interview with director.

Found initial 3 stages fine as a competitive background in sport creates a great base for demonstrating determination and commitment. Waiting on final interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Darlington, North East England, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at ALDI in December 2013.

The initial application was online, it was fairly straightforward but did not include any online testing, unlike many similar positions with other companies (Waitrose, Sainsbury's, etc.).
    About ten days after applying I received a letter from the regional department requesting I complete a standard Aldi application form, I thought this was a little odd. After returning this I received a letter in the post about a week later requesting me to call up and arrange a group interview. The earliest date I could get was about 5 weeks later. There were 12 candidates at the group interview and the morning ran as follows:

1) Numerical and verbal reasoning aptitude tests
    2) Introduce yourself to the interviewing director; name, uni degree, why aldi, interesting fact etc.
    3) 5 minutes to prepare a 2 minute presentation on your greatest achievement in front of the other candidates
    4) Interactive q & a

Overall I found it quite challenging as there were some very self assured candidates who tried to hog the limelight and as there are so many of you there it is important to make sure you are heard when you have a strong point without appearing forceful.

Awaiting second interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Darlington, North East England, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at ALDI in November 2013.

Had a group interview for Aldi a few weeks ago. They want the kind of people who are willing to stab others in the back to get to the top.

Started by having to give a 2 minute presentation on anything (do not bring notes with you, one man had his confiscated and was told he was unprofessional).

Secondly had to do assessments - numerical reasoning and a personality test. We were told if we didnt have the right personality we would be immediately declined a position.

Most people were out to get each other which was very uncomfortable.

Finally we did a survival challenge. My group didnt actually seem to decide on anything as they all wanted to be the leader. I literally could not get a word in (and I talk a lot!).

Interview Questions
    • you have 30 seconds to prepare a 2 minute presentation on anything   Answer Question

Area Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Middleton, Greater Manchester, North West England, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Middleton, Greater Manchester, North West England, England (UK)

I applied online - interviewed at ALDI in October 2013.

Online application then invited by letter to assessment center. Assessment centre started with short introduction with 3 facts about yourself, then quick Q&A they want you to have a lot of knowledge of aldi's products and business model. Then all given 5 mins for a 3 min presentation on anything (couldnt be one of your previously given facts). People did presentations on placement years, jobs and volunteering. One person in our group came with laminated certificates and sat smiling in the prep time, the point of the exercise is to see how you cope under pressure don't look over prepared. Then we had a raft survival task sorting individually priorities items then discuss and come to group conclusion. We then had the fun part of the numeracy, verbal reasoning and personality tests.

Interview Questions
    • I found the tests the hardest part there is only 20 mins to fill out all the tests time was an issue.   Answer Question

Area Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chelmsford, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chelmsford, England (UK)

I applied online - interviewed at ALDI in October 2013.

online form, then assessment day.

Interview Questions
    • the day ran as follows:
      1. tests (maths, sequence, verbal); very time pressured, a lot of people seemed to run out of time so work fast!
      2. 2 minute introduction of yourself (interesting fact, why aldi etc)
      3. 2/3 minute presentation on your greatest achievement.
      4. question and answer session (questions directed both ways)
        Answer Question

Area Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Bathgate, Scotland (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bathgate, Scotland (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at ALDI in July 2013.

Initial application followed by a group interview and finally a one on one interview.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work for Aldi (other than the money)?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Darlington, North East England, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at ALDI.

Group interview in Darlington.

The group of around 15 from the 300 applied were put through presentations, verbal reasoning tests, arithmetic tests and a survival exercise.

Prepare a two minute presentation on anything in less than two minutes.

A detailed Q&A with the regional MD was possible afterwards.

Interview Questions
    • Prepare a two minute presentation on anything in less than two minutes.   Answer Question
    No negotiations possible.

Area Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at ALDI in January 2010.

first i had a phone interview, usual questions (why aldi, why retail, what do u know about us etc)
    group interview took about 3 hours, first they tell u a bit about the company then there' s a group activity and a 1:1 interview

Area Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at ALDI in November 2009.

As a former Area Manager with ALDI, I would strongly discourage anyone with a university degree from going for the Area Manager role with ALDI. The typical people you will be working with in these roles are obnoxious, aggressive and over confident. This is the ALDI type they are after. They only want people with uni degrees because it shows you can achieve something. You won’t be using anything you’ve learnt at uni, so it seems such a waste of all that study. The role is basically running their supermarkets, a job which people without a uni degree could also manage easily.

They will work you to the bone for 2-3 years and then replace you with new grads. There are very limited opportunities to progress above Area Manager, as the number of Director roles is limited and everyone is competing for them, and the existing Directors won’t leave their current roles so they don’t come up often.

The progression from Area Manager is to Store Operations Director, Buying Director, Property Director or Warehouse Director. Given the existing directors have nowhere else to go, besides Managing Director, there are limited opportunities for progression. Each region can only have 1 or 2 Store Operations Directors etc., there is only 1 Managing Director. So the number of people in the Director roles is small.

Most people working for ALDI develop very specific skills in overseeing supermarkets, and there are limited opportunities to move into other retail companies with the ALDI experience. Other retailers would rather promote their existing staff into management, and so if you leave the company you will find it difficult to gain employment elsewhere with the ALDI background as your experience.

I would strongly discourage anyone from pursuing an opportunity with them, as they are a ruthless company and will use you until they can replace you. ALDI only operates for the profit of the German owners. ALDI don’t hesitate to replace people they don’t like, and their staff turnover is very high.

Uni graduates would be better advised to work in roles where they can utilize the degree they’ve studied, which in the long term will give them a lot more opportunities than ALDI can offer. Whilst other companies offer a lower starting salary for graduates, you will quickly catch up, and in the long term be in a much better position with a career that actually makes you attractive to many firms.

Whilst the ALDI starting salary is high, it doesn’t go up much further once you are in the company. It is a bait to attract lots of applicants to apply, and then you get stuck. I really regret working for ALDI and would have been better off starting off in a career oriented firm where I was using my uni degree.

Interview Questions

Worked for ALDI? Contribute to the Community!