ALDI Interview Questions in Australia

Updated Aug 3, 2015

2.8

Retail Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Gold Coast (Australia)

Application

I applied online – interviewed at ALDI (Gold Coast (Australia)) in June 2015.

Interview

it was short and sweet just going a group of us talking about our previously, where we where from and why do we want to work in this field. we went around the group with the same questions then we swooped over because there was two groups after that was done the we took a tour around the store and asked her question once that was done we all left.

Interview Questions

• why do you want to work in this field?   1 Answer

Specialist Interview

Interview

The first interview is with the hiring manager. The second interview is with the hiring manager's manager. Because ALDI does not have a formal Human Resource department, do not expect internal recruitment specialists to filter and 'grill' you.

Interview Questions

• None. Expect usual questions on experience, skills and achievements. Some behavioral and situational.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation. Fixed uniform salary for each position level.

Retail Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Melbourne (Australia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ALDI (Melbourne (Australia)) in December 2014.

Interview

I applied online through their site, surprised to receive an email to a group interview (completely forgot that I had applied). We were all waiting outside the store, the people conducting the interview took us in 20 minutes later than the scheduled time. They took us into a back room within the store itself. There was about 10 of us, cramped around a small table with chairs with the two recruiters standing at the front. They were really nice and straightforward. We had to introduce our neighbour, then take any product in the store and introduce that. Afterwards at the very end there was a simple arithmetic test with 5 minutes to do it. I completed it under a minute and left. I was called for a one-on-one interview the following week, it was with the two recruiters. They asked for my availability, background check and police check. Surprisingly, the recruiter said I would start Monday as soon as the paperwork was finalised. Then on Monday, I get an email saying I was unsuccessful, with no way to contact the recruiters (they used no-reply emails and private numbers) I was left disheartened and confused.

Retail Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ALDI in November 2014.

Interview

Start of process is by applying online for the positiona and store location, make sure you apply for the store you wish to work at and not generically as your application is forwarded to the relevant Area Manager. Recieved an email asking to come in for a group interview with the Area Manager, there were about 10-15 people in the group interview. We were shown a video about ALDI and some information regarding the position (tasks, what to expect, pay etc) and then asked to talk and introduce the person sitting next to us and present them to the group, Included in this presentation was answering why we wanted to work for ALDI and sort of what our goals are. Was then asked to form 2 groups and do a mini task; to prioritise name cards with aldi's store management priorities (customer service, quality, availability, cleanliness and appearance). Was then given a chance to ask all questions we wanted to know regarding the position and shed light on any grey areas <---- this was a very nice thing the Area Manager did. Was finally told, if we were successful, we would be contacted for a 1on1 interview. Was contacted. Came in for 1on1 and got asked about my previous experiences at work and at uni generically (such as "tell me about your time at X company, what did you do there, did you enjoy it? etc etc") then got asked a few basic maths questions (adding, subtracting and multiplying some numbers) and a few to do with change calculation (e.g. if a customer bought a total of $13.35 and gave $50 how much change would they recieve?, if my total was 19.95 and gave $100, how much change? etc etc) At the end of the interview was then asked to fill out a police check form, medical examination (to see if I was fit for work) and a non-disclosure form. Was contacted a few days later and offered a position.

Interview Questions

• Nothing really unexpected or difficult, all straight forward. Only hard if you struggle with maths a lot.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation phase, ALDI has set pay and benefits for RA's and it is publically visible on their website. Also in the group interview process you are told this pretty much straight off the bat so its pretty transparent.

Store Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Melbourne (Australia)

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at ALDI (Melbourne (Australia)) in September 2014.

Interview

I was invited for a group interview. there were 6 of us at that time and we were asked to interview the person next to you then later on present him/her to the group. i think it saved the manager a whole lot of time. questions were very common (e.g. why do u want to work for aldi etc.). after each presentation, the manager would also asked about your availability and location preference. then there was a quick tour around the store and finally a math test (very basic). the successful applicants would be contacted by email/phone for a one on one interview with the area manager and store manager.

Store Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Port Melbourne (Australia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at ALDI (Port Melbourne (Australia)) in May 2014.

Interview

Interview was conducted by an intern at the time. Interview was relatively relaxed and conducted in a casual environment (back of the store). Follow-up interview was with the regional manager.

Store Assistant/Deputy Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at ALDI.

Interview

Was called about my application about 3 months after I applied for an impromptu phone interview. Was then invited for a group interview. Area Manager walked our group around a store asking us questions about what we knew of Aldi. I was the only one who seemed to have done their homework and could answer her questions. Later in the one on one interview she seemed to want to gauge my willingness to do physically hard work and my ability to provide good customer service.

Interview Questions

• All fairly standard questions, describe a time when you went 'above and beyond' to provide great customer service. Tell me about a time when things didn't go to plan and what you did to resolve it.   Answer Question

Retail Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pendle Hill (Australia)

Application

I applied online – interviewed at ALDI (Pendle Hill (Australia)) in September 2013.

Interview

Applied online. Heard back from them after a month, they invited me to a interview. First round was a group interview. They ask some basic questions regarding our flexibility, days and time we will be available to work. After this round selected people are asked to move to the next room where one of the area manager presents us with the company profile for around 20 minutes. once this is done, there is a one on one interview with the area managers with few general questions and two or three numerical questions.

Interview Questions

• The numerical questions. basic addition and subtraction question regarding the money counting.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiation at all.

Area Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sydney (Australia)

Application

The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at ALDI (Sydney (Australia)) in May 2009.

Interview

Aldi's recruitment process for the management trainees are handled through Hudsons. I had an initial screening interview over the phone with a Hudson junior recruiter - very easy questions, just basic interview stuff. Only took about 10 minutes. I was then invited for a 1 hour interview with a more senior Hudsons recruiter - the questions here are focused on your leadership qualities: how would you train people, solve problems, deal with angry customers, etc. I was then successful and went onto the assessment centre round. This is essentially the final round and we had a group activity plus interview with a senior ALDI manager. It went the whole day. In the group activity we were given a hypothetical plane crash scenario and had to prioritise a list of items we would take with us. I bombed out I guess because I didn't get the position.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your leadership roles   1 Answer