ALDI

Average Difficulty
65 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Philadelphia, PA

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at ALDI in July 2014.

Interview Details – Applied in June 2014 in person, I printed out an application and brought it in with my resume. I walked around the supermarket for a while and observed the workers for a bit just to get a sense of the environment and where I could possibly be working. I talked to the supervisor about the job and responsibilities as well as another employee about the hours and if my application looks good to turn in. I got called in for an interview about 3 week later which was held in the supermarket. It was a 2:1 interview with the district manager and an intern from a college.
The interview process went better then expected it didn't feel like an interview more like a conversation every time I got the chance I threw some questions in there or gave little comments about things that were said to me to let them know I am paying attention. They started off the interview by saying they are not looking for the perfect person just a perfect fit in the store. I brought a little notebook and pencil that I had on my lap during the interview. The day before I researched some of their interview questions and wrote them down with the answers in the back of the book just in case and I also listed about 10 questions I wanted to ask which was good because during the interview some of them were answered but I still had something to work with. While they where looking at my resume I gave them an updated version including work and academic programs I participated in. In total it took about 30 minutes and they showed some interest in my School and major/minor and what I want to do with it, I would say interaction is really important they should not be the only ones talking and every answer should have an explanation so they can continue to see who you really are.
They said to give them a week to call back and if I get called for another interview they would have scenarios for me and a general run down of what they would want me to do and how they expect to act.

Interview Questions

• Explain a situation where you had to deal with a difficult person?   View Answer
  • With your major, what do you see yourself doing or what do you want to do with it?   View Answer
  • Why should we hire you?   View Answer
  • If we were to call your last employer what would they say about you? What would they rate your performance?   View Answer

Memphis, TN

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at ALDI in June 2014.

Interview Details – Background: I'm a 25 year-old single woman with years of work experience in physical jobs, and administrative support roles. I relocated to Memphis to finish school, and I just wanted a part-time job for spending money.

I went to an Aldi Hiring event at one of the locations. Be sure to fill out an application in advance, and get there early because the line was out of the door when I left. One of the hiring managers just asked a few basic questions about our abilities and availability before taking our applications and advising that she would call.

I received a call that afternoon to come in for an interview the following week. The interview consisted of routine questions, and it placed a lot of emphasis on the amount of physical work associated with the position. I explained that I had UPS experience, so it wouldn't be an issue, but they kept harping on the physical demands. She actually said "Picture the hardest, most physically demanding job you have ever had, and multiply it by 10." That is NOT how you should sell a job. It was almost like they were purposely trying to turn me away from it.

A day after that interview, I was called in to meet with the regional manager at a store on the opposite side of town. He was very rushed and distracted during the interview, and asked if I thought I could handle the physical requirements. They were the exact same questions that I answered in the previous interview. I felt like I wasted my time and my gas mileage by going there, and I left the interview not caring if I received an offer or not.

I didn't receive an offer, and I think it may be due to the fact that I look over-qualified on paper. I wouldn't know since they didn't have the decency to call.

Interview Question – "Assume that I asked you to set up a display, and you did it wrong. I tell you that you have done it wrong, so you will have to do it over. I come back, and its still wrong. What would you do?"   View Answer

Cashier

I applied in-person - interviewed at ALDI in July 2014.

Interview Details – Open Interview, showed up 15 minutes early, resume and application in hand, dressed in a suit. Interviewer was in a full suit. Of the 8 or so that were early, I was the only one that was prepared, and not dressed in shorts/jeans and tank top/tshirt and flip flops. Ad specifically asked for application to be filled out prior. "Interview" lasted less than two minutes. Introduction, Can you work 40 hours?, Did you graduate high school? Do you have transportation? and can you lift over 40lbs? Answer yes, to all. "Great well it looks like you are qualified, We will be calling for interviews this evening" and that was it. Next guy after me was out the door before i was able to get to my car.

Spartanburg, SC

I applied in-person - interviewed at ALDI in January 2014.

Interview Details – Turned in application in November 2013, got phone call at the end of January 2014. They called me on the phone and asked if i was still interested. Then I went in for an interview. Then there was a follow-up interview upon which they told me I had to submit to drug testing. After passing drug test they called me back in and trained me on the computer. All computer training was paid and they even paid $70 towards steel toe boots.

Interview Question – What would make you fire an employee if you were in a manager position   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Set wage of $10 per hour in South Carolina.

Cashier

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at ALDI.

Interview Details – Went to a hiring event at one of the stores. They asked if I have any experience working with money. They asked me to come back in 2 hrs for the 2nd interview. Got hired that same day.

Interview Question – What are your weaknesses?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – no negotiation

Danville, KY

I applied in-person and the process took 6 days - interviewed at ALDI in April 2014.

Interview Details – Saw an ad for a hiring event at a local ALDI so I went out, brought my resume and ALDI app. Started 11:30 AM there were about 20 people there by the time it started (with more coming in). Just handed the resume and app to the store manager since the actual hiring manager wasn't there yet, everyone went in a line and took about 3 minutes to answer her questions whether they'd be available, able to lift 50 pds etc. Got a call the next afternoon asking to come in for an interview several days later at 8:30 AM. Showed up, there were only 10-12 people there this time. We all got a tour with the general manager around the store, in the freezer/backroom. Then when back up front and all got 2:1 interviews with the hiring manager and the GM. Asked basic questions, got reminded a lot that there's only two people in the store at a shift, and that you'd basically be doing everything.

Interview Question – How would you handle a difficult situation?   View Answer

Lake Grove, NY

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at ALDI.

Interview Details – The manager posted that he would be there to look at applications for a couple of hours and would be interviewing on the spot. I went, filled out an application, waited for the manager to come out of his office, he stared me down, asked me a couple of ridiculous questions like 'Can you lift over 60 pounds over your head?' and 'Are you comfortable with cleaning the bathrooms and the floors?' I had no idea that was the job of a cashier but hey it's a small store so maybe one cashier is really instructed to do everything. I said yes and he wrote something on my application and said we'll call you. I got a bad vibe from this guy the second he stared me down, and he only reaffirmed his vibe by being a jerk.

Interview Question – Being asked: Can you lift over 60 pounds over your head? (when I am clearly a 5 foot 3 petite 19 year old girl, what do you think the answer would be?)   Answer Question

Cashier

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at ALDI.

Interview Details – The interview began with a history overview of my previous jobs. Why I left each job was the focus. After the interview there was drug testing and a pretty basic orientation that taught the ALDI culture and the focus on accuracy, speed, and teamwork with employees. If you display focus and team building abilities you should be fine.

Interview Question – Have you ever used marijuana was asked repeatedly. I answered professionally but it was annoying to be interrogated.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation on the pay. To get a raise I believe you must become a manager.

Cashier

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at ALDI in February 2014.

Interview Details – I went to a hiring event and was the first one to show up. Go thirty minutes to an hour early, because these events are wildly popular. You should show up prepared with a completed application (available online at the aldi's website, obviously it should have neat handwriting, not dirty or folded), otherwise you will do it there, but honestly just do it beforehand. The district manager will take the application, and give a brief questionnaire gauging your ability + transportation, and informed they'll get back within a week if they're interested. Interview went very well, I think they were impressed with how knowledgeable I was of ALDI. also i emphasized how I had initiative. I had a second interview with a store manager who walked me around the store explaining how everything was ran.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – no negotiation, only discussing paid holidays, advancement opportunities and such.

Cashier

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at ALDI.

Interview Details – Two interviews. Very thorough

Interview Question – What would you do if you were at Disneyworld and we unexpectedly called you to come to work   View Answers (2)

Worked for ALDI? Contribute to the Community!