ALDI

Getting the Interview

59 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Cashier Interview

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at ALDI in July 2013.

Interview Details – I saw an ad on Craigslist so I went to my local store, filled out an application in the car and turned it in...I got a call bak 2 days later. The first interview was with store manager and an intern. It was a quick interview, only the store manager asked questions but they were basic. Mostly about my previous job and how it related to this one. Then he goes off on this tangent about everyone making mistakes and how I should be honest and if I have anything on my criminal record (I don't) then he asked me when was the last time I smoked weed I guess to throw me or go into this false confession but I told him I've never tried drugs. Not sure if he believed me but idc. I knew my drug test would be clean. The second interview was a week later with the district manager. He asked pretty much the same questions but we went over the stores expectations a little more. Also, this intv was more laid back, I was told not to worry about dressing up. He asked me to describe my leadership skills and basically why they should hire me. Third intv I decided to wear jeans again. It happened about a week later. It was with the store manager and intern again, this was basically a recap...again. I was then offered the position. I had to fill out some paperwork for them to check my BG and employment history. Then I was asked to call a number about taxes... I was immediately sent off to take my drug test. I got a phone call about a week later for orientation. Overall it wasn't difficult, just an extremely long process. Almost a month.

Interview Question – Why should we offer you this position?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Interviewed at ALDI

Interview Details – I attended one of their many hiring events. I printed out an application, updated my resume, and dressed in appropriate attire for this event. When I arrived, I handed the manager my papers and he said that I would get a call in about a week. I never received that call.

Cashier Interview

I applied through other source - interviewed at ALDI in July 2013.

Interview Details – First attended job fair and was asked where I lived, had transportation, etc., Then was called for first interview within 2days. First interview took place at a store with a corporate hiriing agent and an intern. Second interview was a different store a few days later with only that store manager. Said he had many interviews ahead and how lucky I should consider myself for the oppurtunity - never heard back.

Interview Question – Question about what I believe customer service means.   Answer Question

Mount Laurel, NJ

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at ALDI in June 2013.

Interview Details – 4 Interviews
Step 1- Job Fair; fill out application, asked if you have a high school diploma, can work 6am-11pm and if you can lift 45 lbs. will call you tomorrow after 5pm
Step 2- Interview with district manager intern, goes over position,pay,benefits, and Aldi history then ask about what you think customer service is, about former job and basically testing who are personality wise. And to be 110% honest about any drug or criminal background
Step 3- District manager intern talks to you again going over the job and then your meet the store manager, take on tour around the store, explain the position in depth and tries to let you know it isn't a walk in the park position you are really working, staying busy.
Step 4 (Final Interview)- District manager and intern ask about past jobs, scenario on stealing, customer service, letting you know your not only cashier but also stock and upkeep. If answers are what they are looking for they offer you the job once you pass a background and drug test.

Interview Question – As long as you're honest and willing to multi-task and stay busy, you'll be fine. Plus they're looking for people who want to be more than just a cashier.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Chicago, IL

I applied through other source and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at ALDI in June 2013.

Interview Details – Saw at my local Aldi there was going to be a hiring event at a local hotel. It was from 7am-7pm and was labeled "Open Interviews." I took my resume, printed out an application and took it with me already filled out. I walked into the hotel with my paperwork expecting to get a few minutes with someone and an actual short interview, per the sign at the store.

In the room sat 30+ other applicants filling out the application. The person sitting at the front of the room offered me an app, but I showed I already had mine and it was filled out. He then said he had a few questions. With me still standing in front of him, he asked if I could work any of the 17 hours/day they required, if I had a high school diploma/GED, and could I lift 40lbs. Check check check. He took that questionnaire, and stapled it along with my app and resume. Turned the paperwork over and onto a stack about TWO FEET high on the table and said, "Thanks! Someone will get back to you in 2-3 weeks." HUH? Yep that was it.

First interview was with a district manager of some sort at a local store about 2 weeks later. Took 20 minutes.

Second interview was a week later with the same manager and another manager, maybe a general mgr. It took place at a different store. The second person sat and watched and wrote things down. The original manager asked just about the same questions as during the first interview. Took 20 minutes.

Third meeting/interview, a week later, was at yet another store. It was just signing papers giving them the permission to do a background check and I was immediately sent for a drug test. 5 minutes.

It took TEN DAYS to hear back after.

Start date is one week after hearing back. Total interview process is one month.

Training will take place at a store in a town semi- far away for one month of paid training. Then I will be placed at a store closer to my home.

Interview Question – They asked me a million times if I had questions. I'm 40. I've worked retail and customer service forever. No, no questions! But it felt like I SHOULD have questions, which then made me paranoid. Also, they really do a background check. They asked me if I ever committed a crime, "from a speeding ticket to murder - you must be honest because we will find out." Murder!? No. I actually laughed. They weren't laughing. But hey, who expects to be asked that? Not me!   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I start next week. No idea my pay yet. I'll come back.

Lexington-Fayette, KY

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at ALDI in May 2013.

Interview Details – Attended a hiring event and was contacted by a District Manager Intern within a few days. Just a quick phone interview. She was very polite, standard questions. Second interview was with a store manager. Showed me the daily operations of the store. Last interview was with district manager. Overall a great experience.

Interview Question – How would you handle a co-worker stealing money on your first day of work?   Answer Question

Conyers, GA

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at ALDI in June 2009.

Interview Details – Attended job fair, spoke with interviewer for a few minutes. Called back for 2nd interview. Walked the store with the Manager. Drug test and background check, then hired. Don't bother with a walk-in application. They don't look at them. Attend a job fair, or get a recommendation.

Interview Question – In the face to face interview, I was asked to calculate the change as quickly as possible...$14.28 and the customer gives you $20.00
(and several more like this).
  View Answer

Chicago, IL

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at ALDI in June 2012.

Interview Details – Long interview process, they ask multiple times in different ways if there is anything you want to tell them about your background check which is really weird. The process is about 3 weeks.

Interview Question – They are all just basic interview questions.   Answer Question

West Palm Beach, FL

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at ALDI.

Interview Details – Interview is with the DM. You will get two interviews. Very detailed interview. From your previous jobs to present.

Interview Question – Wy did you leave your last job?   Answer Question

Cashier

I applied through other source and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at ALDI.

Interview Details – Was called in for an open interview day. That day I was toured around the store by a regional and a district manager, both high on their horse and about 25 years old, and quizzed upon my retail knowledge. I have been in retail for many years but some of the questions were tricky.

Interview Question – How many items per minute should a cashier ring? How many minutes would it take you to unload this pallet?   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at ALDI