ALDI Interview Questions

Updated Sep 28, 2014
Updated Sep 28, 2014

2.8

District Manager Internship Interview

on campus interview then 2 weeks for second round then 2 weeks for final round... way too long. It is not worth my time nor is it worth the salary. They want you to drive around more than you actually work. If you do the math backwards and find out how much you get paid they only give you about 9 bucks an hour.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Hartford, CT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hartford, CT

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at ALDI.

Had one on ones with the VP and 2 Directors

Interview Questions
    • Did you ever leave a job to avoid being fired?   View Answer
    all pay and benefits accurately listed on the website including new car on day 1

Store Manager Trainee Interview

Was recruited by a DM. He told me to go visit a couple of stores and get back with him to set up a formal interview. And if that 1st interview goes well he would pass me onto the Director of my area. O I think normally it would be a 3 stage interview process but if you are being recruited it will be a 2 stage interview process. If you are not being recruited you have to attend one of their job fairs that the advertise in the paper and on Craigslist.

District Manager Trainee Interview

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at ALDI.

They say they don't have a certain candidate they are looking for but I beg to differ. Interviewed for different positions in different parts of the state and recruiters at both events were very "frat like" in my opinion. Also very young, so I don't understand how they could decipher potential from just looking at a resume and saying oh ok. Ironic since they are hiring straight out of college.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about yourself? Manager cut me off midway and my interview was about 5minutes   View Answer

DM Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at ALDI.

Invited to a dinner the night before the interview. The next day the interview was only 20 minutes long... they don't take notes on what your saying and act as if they are not interested.. its all based on if they believe you are a good fit or not. Only asked 3 questions.

Interview Questions
    • Would you rather work in a team environment or by yourself?   Answer Question

Vague/All/Cashier? Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Bethel Park, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethel Park, PA

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at ALDI in March 2014.

I've wanted to work for Aldi for years, so I asked for an application at my local store, then turned it in directly to the manager along with my cover letter/resume and a brief conversation to find out if they were currently hiring/what the process was/how long applications are kept, etc. He told me the DM stops by about once a week randomly to collect applications and if she was interested she'd contact me. A few days later I received a phone call from her asking if I'd like to come in the next week for an interview, and we set up the appointment. She was very brief/hurried, but I was still extremely excited and spent the next few hours learning everything I didn't already know about the company (which was very little), which made me want to work there even more. I used the next few days to research and prepare for possible interview questions (I have been unemployed for over a year and felt kinda rusty, and this being a dream-company of mine I wanted to show how great of a fit I would be). I also reached out to former colleagues to help me expand and articulate my work history, as the one I turned in was pretty vague in retrospect and didn't fully convey the amount of responsibility and accomplishments I felt were important and showed what I could bring to Aldi.

I arrived 10mins early but the store wasn't open yet. When it did, I spoke w/ the manager & he informed the DM I was there. She was finishing up office stuff so I waited ~15minutes before being asked into another office. We sat down and she asked me to, starting with the least recent job listed on my app, go through my job title, supervisor's name, responsibilities, reason for leaving - in other words, EVERYTHING that was in front of her on both my app AND resume. Okay..... As I'm going through my info that she should already be at least partially familiar with, I try to succinctly convey everything that I've accomplished at each position, as I am a very high achiever, and she just seemed bored. She interrupted to have me explain the gaps in employment (dating back almost ten years) - that I'd also explained in my cover letter - which I'd filled with various freelance work and travel, and explained how all of my combined experiences were all assets and that I was incredibly passionate and ambitious and dedicated to work steadily for such a great company. While I was explaining my role at my 2nd-to-last position (which included managing over 500 people), she cut me off, exasperated, and then just quickly finished up saying, "And then you worked at 'next' company?" - a job where I'd been promoted within my first month AND earned a company vehicle in my second, two details she did not seem to think worthy of mentioning. It was all very dismissive and felt like a complete waste of our time.

She then very quickly ran through a typical day at Aldi, possible shift hours, weekly hours available, and that whoever she hired would be starting as a part-time associate (which I said I was more than fine with, even given my extensive managerial experience, that I'd love to get my foot in the door and prove my drive and work my way up). She immediately started to wrap things up and so it was while standing and putting my coat on that I had to quickly squeeze in any questions I had for her, such as how many positions were there and when would she be making a decision? She said there was one other interview scheduled and if I didn't hear anything by Thursday that that was that. I found that to be very rude and not at all in line with Aldi's company/corporate ethics. Advice: "As for a company that never follows up with you after an interview -- even to say “no thank you” -- that could be a sign that something is wrong at the company. Smart employers know that treating candidates as well as customers is the right way to do business." It also left me without the option to follow up with a thank-you letter for the interview.

All I can think is that perhaps she felt I was over-qualified for ANY position (or afraid that I'd work my way up too quickly to her level, even though I'd expressed my interest in Aldi's current plans for West Coast expansion and 650 new stores planned in the next 5yrs). I've had a lot of jobs that, while I worked incredibly hard and achieved great things, were mostly just a paycheck. It's unfortunate that I was dismissed from working for a company that I am very loyal to and for the first time possibly ever felt the strong desire to contribute to and be a very real part of its success. So be warned.

Hopefully some day I'll have the chance to interview with someone more interested in recruiting a truly dedicated person with more than enough experience and potential.

Interview Questions
    • No questions asked! :( The only things I was asked to explain were every detail of my work history (which she already had in front of her, on two formats) and to explain my gaps in employment (which was also explained in my cover letter), but she didn't let me even really get into that.   Answer Question

Aldi District Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at ALDI in March 2014.

The hiring process was very unorganized and provided false hope for employment. I attended 2 different smaller interviews before making it to the final stage. I had to take 3 trips to Pittsburgh where they covered barely any expenses except a hotel for the final interview. The final interview was a day long process where I had to miss school. Overall it was very dry and there was not much that intrigued me. The people were nice but the atmosphere was very dry and seemed rehearsed as if they had done it a million times. I am glad I did not receive an offer. They expect so much because they give a large salary but you basically are expected to give up your life.

Interview Questions
    • They used a lot of scenario questions where you had to build upon answers you had given in the past. I thought the essay they required us to write was extremely dumb.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Valparaiso, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Valparaiso, IN

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at ALDI in March 2014.

First step was an informational dinner. I then had a 1 on 1 interview at my school followed by a group interview at the Valparaiso division. At the main office I had 7 interviews and a tour of the facilities. You also have to write two essays and take a math and english reasoning test.

Interview Questions
    • Common questions. Why Aldi? Why would you be a good fit? If you could pick three attributes that a district manager should have what would they be?   Answer Question

District Manager Trainee Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at ALDI in March 2014.

The first interview was an in-store interview with a District Manager. The DM was nice and friendly and very frank about the position. I was leery about the hours of work the position would require, but was eager to continue learning more about the position. During the second interview at the district headquarters, the interviewer was running late, and I found out they had scheduled both myself and another woman for 10am. I was there at 9:30am for a 10am interview, and wasn't taken back to interview until 10:30am. The interviewer seemed rushed to squeeze in all of her interviews that day.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked where I had the biggest room for improvement. When I answered that there is room for improvement everywhere, and trying to think of a professional way to answer, the interviewer told me I had to pick just one. She seemed rushed.   Answer Question

District Manager Interview

I applied online - interviewed at ALDI.

Career reception, Career fair, Presentation Dinner, Two rounds of interviews

Interview Questions
    • Tell us a time when you made a bad decision. How did you deal with it? What did learn?   Answer Question