ALDI Interview Questions

Updated Apr 22, 2015

2.8

Anonymous Interview Candidate in O'Fallon, MO

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at ALDI (O'Fallon, MO).

Interview

For the DM position I interviewed with 7 different people including the VP, 5 directors and 1 current DM. Aldi takes great care in only hiring the best of the best, so it is quite a rigorous process. After interviews are complete there was a personality and IQ type test. After selected, final offer was contingent on passing background check and drug screen.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to sell groceries?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There is no negotiation (and no need for it) DMs are on a scale that well exceedes any pay in the market. When I started 2-3 years ago, the pay was $70,000 and now starting pay is $80,000, with climbing the scale I am now at $95,000. Aldi takes care of its people, no need to negotiate as if the employer is your opponent.

Store Associate Interview

Interview

2 interviews. I was offered a position at the end of second interview. The whole process took about 3 weeks. The first interview was basically me explaining my while job history. Second interview was pretty typical "tell me about a time..." Questions.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if a coworker took something without paying for it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Valparaiso, IN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at ALDI (Valparaiso, IN).

Interview

I submitted my resume at an on campus career fair at a college. I then was invited to and attended an information session and then had a first round interview at the college campus (about 2 weeks after the fair). The second round interview included group and individual interviews at the divisional office about 3 weeks later. A final round interview with the divisional vice president, a director of operations, and several district managers was conducted 2 weeks after that.

Interview Questions

• While reviewing video at a store you observe one of your best employees who has been with the company for over 10 years eating a bag of chips that she did not and does not pay for. Company policy says the punishment for stealing is termination, however you are short staffed with the Holiday season coming up and the employee has not prior policy violations. What do you do?   2 Answers

Negotiation

There was no negotiation. Aldi is upfront about their salary for all entry level hires. However, their offer is significantly higher than the industry average.

Manager Trainee Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at ALDI in December 2014.

Interview

I attended a hiring event and although I did know what to expect, I was somewhat disappointed. After completing the application as required, I waited in line to speak to the one and only company representative. I was asked a short series of standard, boiler-plate questions (pretty much the same for every position) and was told if there was interest I would be contacted within 2 weeks. I offered my resume which was accepted but was told the application would be the main document reviewed.

District Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ALDI.

Interview

There was a dinner for all of the next day's interviewees. I did two separate interviews (two separate days), 30 minutes each. One was with another District Manager and the second was with an Operations Director. The reason I had two of the shorter interviews is because they shifted me from one district to a different district, based on my long-term location preferences.

Interview Questions

• Suppose you were district manager over a store that is located in a town that is highly adverse to diversity. You have a diverse store manager from out of town that none of the local store employees will listen to or respect, so the store is completely falling apart, none of your goals are being met, sales are down, the store is a mess etc. What do you do?

Say you are driving to a store to do interviews of potential new employees when you get a call from a store manager at a store in the opposite direction to tell you that there has just been a huge fist fight, the store employees are gone and he is there by himself. There is no one to cover the interviews you are supposed to be doing at one store, but you have a store manager in a crisis at another store. What do you do?

1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at ALDI (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

Submitted my resume through my university's career website. Got called for an information session a week after. Did a face-to-face interview with one of the Directors. He mainly assessed whether I had the gut to do the things that are listed in the job description- like cleaning toilets.

Interview Questions

• How did you pay for your college tuition? Describe your leadership style. How did you hear about us?   Answer Question

District Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at ALDI.

Interview

From school website. They have a pre-dinner to introduce what the job do and related question. after that we had a 1vs 1 interview. they just let me go over my resume. nothing special.

District Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at ALDI.

Interview

Aldi came to my college's career fair and got in contact with me after viewing my résumé. They sent me an e-mail through my college's career center, and set up an interview.

I made it past the first interview, and have to go to a day-long assessment at Aldi. The assessment is going to be from 9-330, and they have different activities so they can spot out who the real leaders are.

Interview Questions

• If you could start college over again what would you change?
      Define leadership.
      What makes you more qualified than the others?
      Tell me about a time you made a decision you later regretted.

1 Answer

District Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at ALDI.

Interview

Went to info session at my university and was then invited to a pre-night dinner and an on campus interview. They gave us all the background on the company and tried to be super impressive. Went to 1st rud of interviews. It was straightforward behavioral based questions. Then got an invite a week later for second round interviews. Had to take a day off classes and went to Oak Creek WI for an all day interview. Had 5 mini behavior interviews with VPs and then had a tour of the warehouse and of a store. Met two other district managers and then had lunch. Afterwards had to write an essay. Pretty straight forward

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time you had to support someone or failed to support someone?   Answer Question

Application

The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at ALDI.

Interview

I went to a job fair in my town Monday morning dressed in nice clothes and heels, and filled out an application. About 4 hours later I received a phone call from a district manager saying that she wanted to interview me. She asked if I could come in Wednesday morning and I told her I could not because I start work at my current job very early in the morning but asked if we could set something up for a different time of the day, or maybe even another day. She very quickly said she would give me a call right back to let me know and then basically hung up on me. I never revieved a phone call back. I tried calling back myself, and never received an answer or a call back. I think that was VERY unprofessional.