ALDI Interview Questions

2.8

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kalamazoo, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kalamazoo, MI

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at ALDI in October 2014.

Took a few weeks to get a call back. when I went in for an interview and it was very brief and simple. There were only two or three questions asked and we spent most the time taking about job responsibilities.

Interview Questions
    • What do you think will be the hardest thing to do when working for aldi?   Answer Question

Store Manager Trainee Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tully, NY
    Anonymous Employee in Tully, NY

I applied in-person. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at ALDI in October 2014.

Dropped off an application at store and was called by district manager for an interview. After the interview I made contact a few times by dropping a letter at the store saying thank you and reminding him that I continue to be interested. Called for a second interview a month later. Both interviews asked me to talk about my previous work experience and several "tell me about a time..." type questions. The first seemed to be focused on job skills and the second on leadership ability.

Interview Questions
    • How would your current supervisor describe you and what would he say is the area you are most challenged in?   Answer Question

Store Manager Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Webberville, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Webberville, MI

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at ALDI in September 2014.

Contacted by a recruiter in September 2014; they asked me about my previous experience and if I would consider taking over a store for ALDI. Told me training lasted 9-18 months (depending on the person), during training I would make $22 per hour and after that the salary range was $60,000-$75,000 per year plus bonuses. Gave me guidelines on what to wear/not wear (this was entertaining to say the least). No big hoops, no funky nail polish, no excessive make-up, no wild hair style, no super bright colors or intense designs, not a ton of jewelry ect. Basically, best choice would be to dress very conservative--think banker.
    I had my first interview a few weeks later with the Director of Operations in Webberville, MI. I had been informed interviews last approximately 30 mins, I was there for 1.5 hours, but I did have a lot of questions.
    The director never asked me about strengths/weaknesses or random I.Q. type questions (research online lead me to believe these were standard questions used); instead, the questions were along the lines of "How do I handle difficult situations-give examples" "What duties do I perform in my current position" "Why do I want to leave my current position" "Why have I not yet been promoted to a Store Manager" (at the time I was an Assistant Store Manager and have held a few different positions with this title) "Do the job duties at ALDI sound like something I would be interested in" "What was my lowest/highest rated area in my previous annual review" "What do I like best about my current position" "What is my managerial/leadership style"
    I was told to bring my application to the interview, which the Director never did ask for, but I turned it in at the end anyway. I was then asked when I would be able to meet with a District Manager and Store Manager (the first interview was on a Thursday...next interview was set up for the following Monday).
    That Monday I showed up at the store, which was really busy, and I didn't spend more than 5 mins with the Store Manager. Met with the Director of Operations again, as well as a District Manager. Interview was with them both simultaneously (this was a little nerve racking), but the questions were pretty much the same as my first interview and I was just asked to re-tell answers that I had given previously so that the District Manager could hear my responses.
    After this second interview, I was contacted within a week asking me to meet with another District Manager in order to fill out my background check, previous residence information and to get my drug screening paperwork. This meeting involved paperwork and I was asked for what size shirts I wear so they could order mine--pretty good inclination I was definitely hired. The District Manager told me I could either put in my two week notice that day or I could wait for my background check/drug screen to come through (no pressure with this option whatsoever).
    Due to the fact that I have a criminal record (a few misdemeanors and two felonies--all more than 7 years ago) I was worried that I would not pass, but while filling out the background check I was instructed to just be honest because the company is huge on honesty! I wrote every little thing down that I had ever been arrested/charged with, leaving out no detail because I didn't want to lose the opportunity.
    Background check finally came through almost two weeks later and I was instructed to put in my two week notice that day.
    My start date was about six weeks after my initial interview; 8-10 weeks from the date I was contacted by the recruiter.

Interview Questions
    • No question was difficult or unexpected--pretty straight forward.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation. The offer made was final and it was either accept or decline.

District Manager Interview

The interview was pretty standard, what you would normally expect. I got the sense though that they were favoring people with a little more experience. I was interviewing as a sophomore and at the end of the interview, they asked me if I wanted to provide any more detail about myself or why I deserve to get the internship. I talked about for 2 minutes just on this question going over previous work experience in retail and academics/involvement in college.

Interview Questions
    • What's a decision that you have made that later on you thought wasn't the best one? It was worded something like that and it caught me a little off guard. I had to think for a bit on this one.   Answer Question

District Manager Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ALDI in October 2014.

Pre-interview dinner the night before with the Vice President and other District Managers, then a 30 minute on-campus interview, then a final interview at an Aldi location. They basically just want to see if you are a "leader" and how assertive you are. They really emphasize their high salary which seems off to me.

Interview Questions
    • They ask you to walk through your resume and ask simple behavior questions off that. Straight forward questions like "What would you do if you saw an employee steal $5 from the register?" and "How assertive are you on a scale of 1-10?"   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Oshkosh, WI
    Anonymous Employee in Oshkosh, WI

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at ALDI in October 2014.

Informative group dinner for 2 1/2 hours and short formal interview. Very transparent. In the formal interview, they will ask silly questions which have nothing to do with being a District Manager. They also don't value direct experience.Very high pay, but I doubt senior managers have an idea what they are looking for.

District Manager Trainee Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at ALDI in October 2014.

I applied through my university career resources, the application was pretty straightforward. Aldi personnel hosted an informational dinner the night before the interviews for qualified candidates which was very informative and high quality presentation. The actual interview was a half hour long and covered questions about your leadership style, leadership experiences, desire to work at Aldi and ability to learn from failure. The demeanor of the interviewer seemed to be highly critical and imposing, which was a sentiment I heard from several other interviewees.

Interview Questions
    • Talk about a time when you experienced failure in any aspect of your life, and what did you learn from it?   Answer Question

District Manager Interview

Submitted résumé at my university's career fair. Received a follow up email weeks later when they were back on campus inviting me to interview. I accepted the invitation and was told about a mandatory interest meeting being held close to campus the night before the scheduled interview. Had a sit down interview with 2 executives from the company the following day. Mostly behavioral based questions and going through résumé. The company has an intense feel and the first interview was easier and more conversational than expected.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you made a wrong decision and how you handled and bounced back from the decision. Also strengths/weaknesses.   View Answer

District Manager Trainee/Or Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at ALDI in October 2014.

I applied online through my university. I was invited to a mandatory information session on 10/28. The next day interviewed on campus. The interview lasted approximately 30 minutes. I received the rejection email on 11/4.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time when you made a mistake on the job and how did you correct it.
      Why would you be a good fit for Aldi?
      Describe past leadership roles.

Answer Question

District Manager Interview

Had an interview on campus. Questions were fair, nice employers; looking for people that have a lot of leadership experiences. Said they would contact me whether I get the job or not but did not. I had to actually email them again after two weeks